Caribbean Cruise ( Sue and Garry). March 22.

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Caribbean Cruise ( Sue and Garry). March 22.

Post by Suekersh »

Hi All

Herewith the first of Sue's reports on the Aurora's Caribbean cruise.

Boarding Day
Sunday 27 February 2022.

We set off at 8 am for the long drive down to Southampton for an overnight stay in Elizabeth House hotel before embarking Aurora for the first cruise on this ship since Covid caused the 23 months pause for this ship

We had expected an easy journey down a it was a Sunday but soon realised that wasn’t going to be the case. It was a glorious day which had brought out lots of day trippers to the roads together with thousands of Liverpool fans travelling to Wembley. A bad accident on the M6 caused a 50 minute delay and then a detour before we could pick up the M6 toll road. A breakdown on the M42 caused another hold up and finally at the Milton interchange where we stop to refuel the car everyone had the same idea and the queue stretched back to the main road.
All this was forgotten once we reached the hotel, settled into the room and opened a bottle of wine. The holiday could finally begin.

Monday 28 th February- boarding day.

We had an early test time as did a lot of others and when we arrived at the terminal at 11:30 the luggage pods were not open and there were no porters. There was a member of staff directing passengers to the queue at the correct luggage pod and once they had opened to then go across the road to the testing centre. It was fairly chaotic compared to the organisation we had experienced previously at the ocean terminal for Iona where they were dealing with 3 times as many passengers as the Mayflower.

After the test we went to the terminal building and sat and waited 3/4 hour for the result, then straight onto the ship, a visit to the muster station then to the cabin to drop off hand luggage, meet our cabin steward and then into the loyalty lunch in the Meridian restaurant where we sat at a table for 2 but next to our friends.

It was a menu lunch rather than the usual buffet lunch. The wine and bubbles flowed freely and it was a relief to finally be on board. We had a chat to Gordon the Hotel general manager who we last saw on Aurora in 2018, a nice surprise was that Alan Carr was on board overseeing the new Holiday App and helping passengers set up their phones to use it. After being on Iona for 6 weeks we are used to the App and how to use it but the traditional cruisers on this ship are far less inclined to ‘move with the times and embrace the new technology.

When we returned to the cabin a bowl of fresh fruit and some chocolate dipped strawberries had been delivered, courtesy of an officer friend who unfortunately isn’t on the ship with us. Soon afterwards bath robes and a set of toiletries were delivered.

By the time we had unpacked and got the cabin sorted it was time for sailaway. A few of us had arranged to meet on the aft deck with glow sticks, flags and anything else that could be waved to celebrate Aurora finally being returned to service and we are off on the first leg of the journey to Madeira and then onto the Caribbean. Even the rain couldn’t dampen our spirits.

We had booked a table for 2 in the Alexandria restaurant and Garry had confirmed this with the officers during our lunch. We actually had a table for 4 but set for 2 which means my handbag can have a seat as well. The menu choice is much smaller than pre Covid but the food equally as delicious. The crew are so happy to be back working and are eager to please.

There was a great choice of entertainment. We were spoilt for choice. For a small ship Aurora has plenty of different venues to chose from.

It does feel that there is a shortage of staff on board and the queues for the Explorers desk, loyalty desk and reception were huge.

The small booze shop was extremely busy as every cabin had been given a voucher entitling them to purchase a bottle of alcohol per passenger for in cabin consumption.

Looking forward to the next 32 nights on board Aurora to the Caribbean.

Three Sea Days to Madeira

The seas remained calm although the weather was dank and rainy for the first two days. On Thursday the sun came out as did the passengers. We caught up with a lot people we have met on previous cruises and it finally felt like we were on holiday.

There are two speakers on board Geoff Hughes who is a Prison Governor speaking about the justice system and Lauren Peach an Ocean Conservationist talking about Whales and Dolphins.
Lots of morning activities available including Quizzes, jewellery making, line Dancing, Fitsteps, Dance lessons, as well as the usual upwelling talks on acupuncture, revitalise your legs and detoxing.

I joined the Battle of the sexes team which is now not Women versus Men but Team A against Team B. The Men are in the lead after the first round after getting both of the bonus questions correct which are worth 50 points

TheRunaround Kids are on board and we’re absolutely brilliant with music from the 1950s and 1960s. The theatre was packed for the 8:30 show despite Giovanni the entertainment manger plugging both the 6:45 and 10:30 show which has low attendance.

The Headliners performed a new show called over he Horizon which we had booked to see. The App doesn’t seem to be working as well as it did on Iona and the entertainment staff were just allowing everybody in the theatre

When we returned to the cabin there was a notification that everyone was to be tested on Thursday morning.
As it was also the day for our Ligurian lunch we went for the test before breakfast. A few names were called out during the day but not as many as on Iona.

Captain Simon Love visited every table at the Ligurian lunch which was a nice touch. Philip the senior loyalty manager did the same.
The wine flowed well and as usual after these boozy lunches we returned to the cabin to sleep it off.

Tomorrow we reach Madeira.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Caribbean Cruise ( Sue and Garry). March 22.

Post by CaroleF »

How lovely to read about Aurora being at sea once again. We had two long cruises on her, the round South America one and our final cruise the one to Canada and the USA. John and I both loved Aurora and maybe one day I'll go on her again. I've been talking about taking one of my daughters and a grandaughter on a cruise but then realised it can't be on Aurora as my grandaughter is only 6. Maybe I'll have the courage to go back by myself we'll see. Have a wonderful time Sue and it will be lovely to read about your trip back to the Caribbean which we both loved.

Carole

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thanks Sue.
Our longest ever cruise was on Aurora and she has a special place in our heart.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We've never been on Aurora but looking forward to your reports (as usual) you'll have a wonderful time and shall enjoy reading about it :)
Last edited by Happydays on 05 Mar 2022, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Happydays wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 15:16
We've never been on Aurora but looking forward to your reports (as usual) you'll have a wonderful time and shall enjoy reading about it :)

Hello stranger :wave:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I'm having problems login in when I don't use my laptop :(

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Friday 4 March 2022 - Madeira
As usual we were up early and went to the buffet for breakfast and to watch the sail into Madeira. The island was all lit up ready to welcome Aurora.

We disembarked early and caught the first shuttle into town and headed for the supermarket before the vultures descended to nab all of the tonics, which is exactly what we did along with Pepsi max, port, Pringles etc etc.it’s a long trek to the Caribbean and we prefer to be outside on deck rather than in the inside bars. We dropped our booty back at the ship and set off again to explore further. There was an expo going on highlighting the emergency services in Madeira,lots of old vehicles on show as well as the more modern ones. We headed for the colourful market area and stopped for a local beer and as we were just opposite the supermarket we couldn’t resist another call in there to pick up what we couldn’t carry first time around.

We walked back along the front expecting the expo to be in full swing but it still hadn’t started so we headed for the Beerhouse which was right opposite the lovely Aurora. A few beers later like you do when the sun is out we headed back to Aurora just in time to have lunch in the dining room. So pleased we did as it was Frito Misto on the menu.

We passed on coffee and took a coffee and pastel de Nata onto the aft deck which was in the full sun and quite busy with like minded passengers.

We had booked dinner in Sindhu before we came away paying a £10. Deposit which then activated a further 20% discount off the bill plus a further 10% for our loyalty discount. The food was excellent and totally different to the Sindhu on Iona which had been a huge disappointment. We wished we had booked more from home as the 20% discount is not available on board.

We were sat by a window and could se the lights of Madeira gradually fading as we sailed westerly towards the Caribbean.

There was a comedian in the theatre which if his reviews are good we will see his second show.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Further report from Sue and Garry.

Saturday, 5 March - 1 st sea day to Barbados
The sea is gradually changing colour but the sun is still losing the fight with the clouds.
After breakfast I sat out for a short while but soon realised it was more comfortable indoors. Garry stuck it out for longer than me.

When I went down to the battle of the sexes there was a heated discussion going on as it had been scheduled for the same time as the football matches were taking place in Champions.
Gino the Entertainment manager very bravely from the comfort of his office decided to cancel the Battle of the sexes. Big mistake Gino the ladies were having none of it. Why should football take preference. We all know why because they sell more drinks to the football supporters. Eventually after the young lady from the entertainment team telephoned him again he found another venue for the quiz and we headed to Vanderbilt’s the card room. The ladies won the day not only in the fight against the entertainment manager but against the men as well. The ladies are still losing the battle but gradually catching up.

The quiz may or may not be cancelled tomorrow because of the football again. I wonder if Gino will show up in person to face the ladies.

We had hoped to sit out in the afternoon but it was still too chilly so had a lazy afternoon mooching about.

After dinner we went to the theatre to see Fantasy. Although not a brand new show we had only seen it once on the last cruise before Covid. Unfortunately there was a technical problem and not having been given any idea on how long this would take we decided to go to the Crows nest for a drink with friends.

My first gin flight of the holiday with the rhubarb & ginger, Chase Seville and and an elderflower gin.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Any Covid postives thrown off the ship in Madeira ?

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

No one thrown off the ship. Madeira are more sensible than Spain and don’t want cases on the island. Spin just want the income generated from Covid cases being put in their quarantine hotels. I think that is why our two Spanish ports were cancelled before we left the UK.
There is a couple we know from the Facebook group who tested positive on Thursday and are in isolation in a suite. Not suffering other than mild symptoms and are hoping to be back out of isolation by Barbados. Another couple we know did not test positive on Thursday but started with symptoms on Saturday so went for another test and they are now in isolation. Apparently the isolation cabins are being used to capacity but some by crew just boarded.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Further report from Sue and Garry

Sunday, 6 March 2022 - 2 nd of six sea days to Barbados

The first sea day it has been warm enough to sit out and the aft deck soon filled up during morning. The sun still wasn’t winning the battle with the clouds but very pleasant. Dolphins put on a show mid morning .

The booze shop had a new offer today 4 x litre bottles of spirits for £45 not for cabin consumption but to take home.

The guest speaker this morning was Ben McBean a very inspirational talk on how he coped with losing two limbs , becoming a father and enjoying being alive.

We spent most of the afternoon on the aft deck and as the Battle of the sexes had been cancelled I didn’t even go down to see if it had been reinstated. We had taken 24 hours of internet time but it was down for a large period of time so we will be getting a refund for the day.

We heard during the day that more cases of Covid had been identified on board but that those affected were well and being looked after in the isolation area of the ship on decks A and B.

The second formal night of the cruise but not a Marco menu in the dining room which was very quiet.
The entertainment was Lorraine Brown in the theatre. We saw her show whilst on Iona but definitely worth seeing her again. The theatre was busy but not full.

Social distancing is still in place with every third seat not available and masks to be worn at all times. This is reiterated in the Horizon every day but of course you still get the know all passengers who don’t think it applies to them.

Party band Pulse were in Carmens with music from the 70’s.

The clocks went back another hour overnight putting us at GMT -2 even though the Horizon states it is GMT +2

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Hope you have a great cruise Sue. Enjoying reading about the cruise

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Another nice update from Sue and Garry.

Monday, 7 March 2022 - 3rd sea day to Barbados

What a fabulous sunny day just what we were hoping for. Some light clouds and with temperatures in the mid 70s.
I was up early and had our pick of where to set up for the day. I chose one of wings on C deck which are always very popular and you have to be an early bird to secure this prime spot.

I stayed out on deck until 3 p.m. when I decided I had probably been toasting for long enough.
I went up to the buffet looking for an afternoon tea snack. It is no longer advertised in the Horizon as afternoon tea as lunch now apparently goes on until 5 p.m. There was a very poor selection compared to past cruises but as I didn’t want much it sufficed.
There is no grab and go now either which was always a good alternative for a quick snack but I definitely won’t starve.

We ate dinner in the Glass House which was excellent and the original menus which are in our opinion much superior to the new Glass House menus on Iona. We shared 3 different starters of Prawns, scallops and smoked salmon scotch egg. I stayed with the fish and had sea bass cooked in a Banana leaf and served with a seafood broth and Garry had a steak.

Entertainment on offer was a young violinist in the theatre and a vocalist in Carmens. We didn’t go to see either but will get another chance. We often find on the Caribbean cruises that we don’t go into the theatre and with Covid still around it will have to be something special to entice us inside now that the temperatures have risen and warm enough to spend the evenings on the aft deck.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It seems illogical that everyone had a pre boarding covid test and tested negative but covid is still on board.
I agree with Sue to give the larger areas a bit of a wide berth.
Empty vessels .. and all that

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Once again I am very much enjoying your cruise reports Sue. I do hope you can keep them coming as it is putting me well in the mood for my first cruise in 3 years in May on Britannia. I can't wait.
One little question: were you able to book the Glass House prior to boarding?

Enjoy yourselves

Regards

Maureen

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Maureen, glass house cannot be booked. Once on board you will be able to use the app and join the virtual queue for a table. We got one immediately and it is rarely busy. You can just go to the restaurant and ask them if they have a table.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Many thanks for the speedy reply Sue. Shame about the Glass House reservation. I rather liked the idea of having the total of a 30% discount on the food in there!!

Continue enjoying your cruise.

best wishes

Maureen

Popcork4
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Popcork4 »

Am enjoying reading about your cruise. Evenings on deck are just so blissful.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Another nice report from Sue and Garry

Tuesday, 8 March 2022- 4 th Sea day to Barbados.

Another lovely day but despite being outside at 7:30 am the starboard wing on C deck was already occupied. I suspect his wife had locked him out and he had slept there all night. I set up on the Portside wing instead and settled down to another lazy day in the sun whilst my butler waits on my every need. Unlike me he can’t sit in the sun all day so relishes the little tasks I set for him like Laundry, bar service, food service, collecting the crossword and newspaper etc.

The day flew by as the hot sea days often do. I didn’t spot any wildlife but there are lots of wildlife spotters on the prom deck with their huge telescopic cameras who have the evidence that indeed there are whales and dolphins as well as flying fish in the Atlantic Ocean.

The Jacuzzis on the aft deck don’t appear to be working but it doesn’t stop a great number of passengers from sitting in them for long periods of time happily chatting away. No social distancing in the jacuzzis it’s as though Covid doesn’t exist. I haven’t even been in the pool yet but From the noises made by people getting in I suspect the water is still cold. I will wait for the Caribbean Sea to do my swimming.

I didn’t go to the battle of the sexes but got an update of the scores. The ladies have caught up considerable and now only around 65 points behind the men.

After dinner we spent the evening on the aft deck. The comedian was on in the theatre and we had considered going but it was so pleasant outside after the heat of the day and the reviews of his last show were mixed.
The clocks go back another hour overnight putting us 3 hours behind UK time.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

A nice long update from Sue and Garry. A very interesting read today.

Wednesday, 9 th March 2022 - 5 th sea day to Barbados.

Another early morning and straight out on the aft deck to secure my sunbed on the wing for the day. It was barely light yet some passengers already out there. There was some liquid sunshine which lasted about 5 minutes but enough to wet the decks.
The cabin stewards no longer leave the blue pool towels in your cabin and instead these are collected from a cage by the pool areas. The only problem with this is that for the early risers there are rarely any pool towels until after 8a.m.

There was more light cloud around which kept the temperatures more bearable during the morning but the sun burnt them off during the afternoon.

There was antigen testing being done throughout the day at a cost of £18 per person for anyone wanting to explore independently in Barbados on Friday. Without a test you are still allowed into the port area and can get an authorised taxi from the port area to do a tour to go to a beach. We will test ourselves on Friday morning before getting off the ship as we don’t see the point of paying out £36 when we have the same tests in the cabin.

During the day quite a few names were being called out to contact reception and we were told that 68 passengers were being off loaded onto the Queen Victoria in Barbados to isolate on that ship before rejoining Aurora later in the cruise. We were also told that the remaining Peninsular lunches are cancelled due to the amount of Covid cases on board. Our decision to be anti social on the cruise has proved to be a wise one.

It was the 3 rd formal night and after dinner we went to Anderson’s but couldn’t get a table on our own so went to the Crows Nest for a cocktail then onto the outside decks. It was a lovely warm evening and plenty of stars around.

Thursday, 10 March 2022 - final sea day to Barbados.

The clock had gone back another hour overnight putting us onto Barbados time we were up and out before dawn had even broken.
It was so peaceful st on. Sunbed watching the night skies clear nd the sun rise. There was a passing shower early morning but it barely wet the ground.

The crew all got tested today.

We spent the day by the pool people watching. There was a strange occurrence early morning when after swimming a Couple got into the jacuzzi and it started bubbling and changing colour to a dirty brown. I have never seen anyone move as quickly. The engineers soon got it sorted but it did look disgusting.

At 6 p.m. the Captain made an important announcement. There is a concern about the amount of Covid cases on board and restrictions were being heightened to include wearing masks at all times with no exemptions if you are inside the ship other than if you are eating or drinking. He also sent a letter to each cabin detailing this and provided everyone the special face masks that the crew wear. We can ask for more as and when we need them.

I got a phone call from a friend on board to say that she and her husband had been in isolation and due out soon but had been told that they were being transferred to Queen Victoria tomorrow where their isolation period starts again. They will miss all of the islands as they do not rejoin the ship until our last post of call of St Lucia on 21 st March. Very sad for everyone having to move to the QV hospital ship and miss all of the the Caribbean Islands.

It was very quiet in dinner and afterwards we met friends on the aft deck and had a few drinks with them. The violinist was in the theatre and Headliners were performing the Top of the Billboards in Carmens.

Friday, 11 March 2022 - Barbados
Finally our first Caribbean port of call.

The Captain made an announcement early morning just after we docked that unfortunately the ship had to move at around 10 a.m and wouldn’t return until approx 1 p.m. This was due to Barbados being on the brink of completely running out of LPG gas and a ship was arriving with 4 canisters but needed to dock where Aurora was docked.
As I mentioned a couple of days ago the requirements here were to either do P & O Trip and no test was required. Or to have the antigen test at a cost of £18 person and do your own thing on the island or the third option was not to have the test and only visit the port area or take an authorised taxi from inside the port area to either a beach or a tour round the island.

As we have brought our own tests from home we decided on the third option but as we reached the gangway we were told that we couldn’t get off unless we were on a P & O tour or had a negative test certificate. I asked that this info be checked as we had it in writing that we could go into the port area. It took about 15 minutes for them to come back apologising and confirmed we could indeed disembark.
All passengers had to get onto a shuttle bus to the port area which was only 5 minutes away.

Inside the port area there were temperature testing machines. You just stand in front of it and if your temperature is okay it dispenses hand sanitisers. I have no idea what it does it your temperature isn’t okay but probably sounds an alarm.

Outside the terminal building there were directions to the official government approved taxis where we discussed where we could go and what the restrictions were. The only restriction was that you had to book a return time with the taxi driver.

We got a taxi to Harbour Lights which cost 5 US per person each way and at Harbour lights it cost 10 US dollars per person which included sun bed, sunshade, showers and free wi fi by the outside bar area.

It was fabulous the sea was turquoise and the sand soft and golden. Everything I wanted from the Caribbean and the whole day cost less than the cost of having the tests.
It was all very well organised with names taken and the return taxi time noted. Very Covid friendly with sanitiser and beds spaced out.

We could see the Queen Victoria anchored out at sea waiting for the unfortunate passengers on Aurora who had succumbed to Covid . The number I heard had increased from 68 to over 80. All of these passengers will not step foot on a Caribbean island unless they manage a small amount of shore time in Lucia our last port of call and we’re The QV meets Aurora again to allow the passengers to sail back across the Atlantic.

We watched Aurora moving ever closer to to the QV and eventually turning back to re dock a little later than planned.

When we returned to the terminal to do some shopping for cabin essentials the queues for the shuttle bus was huge. Aurora had got back into port later than anticipated.
The two huge duty free shops that mainly sold the alcohol were closed down completely as were some of the other smaller shops. The other duty free shop selling upmarket designer brands was still there and they had a small selection of spirits and mixers.

Once back on the ship we realised how lucky we had been to disembark when we did as when Aurora re docked no independent passengers who hadn’t had the ships test were being allowed off. The rules had changed within those few hours. This was down to the Port Authority not a P & O decision.

The transfer of passengers to QV was still continuing until late afternoon but instead of by tender it was being done by the Rum runner Catamaran.

We had booked to go the Beach House for dinner and we were seated outside. A perfect night to eat under the stars. The food was wonderful and the service very attentive.

The menu was the tried and tested Beach House menu and I had my usual seafood hanging kebab which was perfect and Garry opted tor the lava rock steak. My favourite desert Key Lime sundae was also on the menu. We have a few nights booked in there whilst we are in the islands. When we were on Iona we only used the Beach House once and it was a big disappointment with its much reduced menu and no outside eating space.

After dinner we met friends on the aft deck for drinks and to catch up on our respective days events. A perfect Caribbean evening on deck.

Tomorrow we are in Grenada.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I hope both Sue and Garry remain clear of covid.

I had booked the cruise following this to the Canaries but felt it was not on as a solo traveller in case I was offloaded into a spanish hotel.

I wonder what the thinking is of transferring them onto another ship.

Lindsey

Lindsey

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Whynd1 wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 08:03
I hope both Sue and Garry remain clear of covid.

Lindsey
Absolutely but I did wonder if, say, Garry was to test positive but Sue negative would they both be transferred to QV or would they be split up ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

so is the prime purpose of QV being out there to act as a hospital ship?
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Meg 50 wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 09:26
so is the prime purpose of QV being out there to act as a hospital ship?
I would say yes but I also thought that it was there due to a shortage of ' suitable ' accommodation ' on the Islands for Covid cases.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Why can they not be kept on board in their own cabins until testing negative. Obviously they’re not allowed out but that’s not too bad I guess if it’s a balcony cabin,my understanding is that there are balcony cabins unbookable for this purpose,so I was told by Bolsover.
Mel

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”