Saga ship turned back to Southampton

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Saga ship turned back to Southampton

Post by CaroleF »

I heard on the radio this morning, and it's now on the BBC News app that Saga's Spirit of Adventure has turned back from her cruise to the Caribbean and is on her way back to Southampton. She was due to visit the Azores, Antigua, Anguilla, Tortola, Port Royal, Grand Turk and Bermuda. There have been a number of Covid cases on board, they haven't said how many, but after visiting the Azores the decision was taken to return to Southampton because "strict Covid-19 entry requirements in the Caribbean meant they had made the difficult decision to return to the UK." Apparently the passengers will receive a full refund. All Saga said about the numbers concerned was that "a limited number of guests" were asymtomatic or had mild symptoms." They added that all passengers had to be fully vaccinated and were tested before boarding.

I wonder if any other ships will be affected. Such a shame for the passengers.

Carole

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Saga ship turned back to Southampton

Post by Manoverboard »

Very unfortunate but it implies, to me anyway, that cruises are happening a tad too soon :(
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Chalgrave4
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Chalgrave4 »

According to Vessel Finder she docked in Southampton about 8:30 this morning

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 12:09
cruises are happening a tad too soon
So when would you think that cruises should be starting, bearing in mind that they have been for the past six months and that this is the first incident of this magnitude that we have heard of.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

How disappointing for everyone onboard. It must have been serious numbers infected to make that decision to turn back.

Well it's looking a bit more promising for our July cruise. I know things can change but it looks like our two friends and us might take the plunge after all.
‐--------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to contact Paul Ludlow, President here at P&O Cruises. Mr Ludlow has taken note of your comments and has asked for me to review and respond on his behalf.

I am pleased to advise that as of February you should be fine and be allowed to stay onboard while in Norway. The current requirement advise that people infected with the Coronavirus should isolate for 4 days. In addition, infected people who have symptoms must have been fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of medication. This applies to all virus variants. Of course, this policy can be amended at any time, but this is the current advice for Norway.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you a very enjoyable cruise!
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Mar 2022, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 13:30
cruises are happening a tad too soon
So when would you think that cruises should be starting, bearing in mind that they have been for the past six months and that this is the first incident of this magnitude that we have heard of.
Have we heard about them all given that there are stories about non disclosure ?

I witnessed the fiasco with Noro on Oriana some years ago so accept that containment is impossible in spite of best efforts. As long as there remains a risk of being dropped off ( dumped ) in a foreign place on one's own some then the cruise should not be scheduled. The Cruise Line's main motive is money rather than their passengers' well being ... imo of course.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

It can only have spread if a boarding passenger or crew member had a negative test that turned out to be positive.
Very strange.
Shame for the people on the ship but little point in continuing if they can’t disembark.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Very unfortunate but it implies, to me anyway, that cruises are happening a tad too soon :(
The reason it turned back was the tight controls that Caribbean ports are putting on the percentage of positive cases on board, which includes the cases the crew have as well.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

towny44 wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 15:12
The reason it turned back was the tight controls that Caribbean ports are putting on the percentage of positive cases on board, which includes the cases the crew have as well.
I’m still a tad confused about it.
Every passenger and every crew member must test negative before the ship sails.
So how does the ship have Covid positive a few days later?
Sue Kersh said that on her Caribbean cruise, some passengers tested positive two days into it and were put in isolation.
How come?
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Accepting that the passengers and crew are Covid free at their point of embarkation then that introduces a myriad of suppliers and handlers at the Ports from start to finish. Do the crew ever go ashore at the Ports, has the paper boy been checked out or the food and beverage suppliers or the entertainers or the fuel and service providers ... possibly or probably not.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Perhaps a 'carrier' pigeon brought it on-board

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

The Lord works in Mysterious ways..
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The SOA return has been reported in a Saga Facebook group for a while. There were around 150 passengers tested positive, way above the limit for some islands. As for how it gets aboard with pre departure tests. Seemples. People only just infected will initially test negative especially on relatively insensitive LFTs. Then over a few days they incubate the disease and bingo.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

They didn't have Bingo on our Saga Riverboat ... just saying :angel:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”