Disembarkation

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
Cromarty Firth Pilot
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Disembarkation

Post by Cromarty Firth Pilot »

This will be my first cruise with P&O on Arcadia out of Southampton. Both my questions regard disembarkation.

My first question regards disembarkation. I will require to book a car transfer from what will probably be the Mayflower Cruise Terminal, to Heathrow. In order to get to the airport in time I have to book a car at 09:30. Will the ship allow me to disembark and pick up my luggage to meet this departure time.

My second question is for recommendations as to which taxi or transfer company to use, based on members experiences?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disembarkation

Post by david63 »

In respect of your first question:

The first thing to bear in mind is that the ship could be late getting into port and you need a contingency plan for your 09:30 taxi. It has been known, albeit only occasionally, that ship does not get into port until midday, or even later.

The normal procedure at Southampton is that you have an option to self disembark at around 07:00 but that does entail taking all of your luggage off with you. If you do not self disembark then you will be allocated a disembarkation time which can be anything up to around 10:30 - the early times of around 09:00 are for those with "priority" disembarkation (suites and top Peninsular tier). Again these times assume that the ship docks at the expected time (normally around 06:30), if late then the times will get pushed back.

As for the second - sorry have no idea as never used them.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

My advice is to let them know that you intend to self disembark and take your own luggage off.
You should be fine.
As for a cab to Heathrow, it’s unlikely that any local driver will commit to that without a confirmed booking.
I’d love to see the look on a Taxi driver at the port when you jump in and say Heathrow please mate.
I’d book something in advance.
You’ll have to do your research as it’s very unlikely anyone on here has done this previously.
Good luck and enjoy your holiday.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

For umpteen years we routinely booked a very reliable outfit based in Shaftsbury, Dorset, for Southampton and / or Heathrow but the pandemic has meant that they aren't taking bookings from any new customers. Will this be the norm and if so is hiring a car an option for you ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Cromarty Firth Pilot
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Cromarty Firth Pilot »

Thank you all for your replies.
I have discovered that Loganair flying from Southampton to Glasgow offer a get you home earlier ticket, so I can book a flight in the late afternoon with them, then if we get of the ship earlier and there are seats available we will be ok.
It means driving from the Highlands to Glasgow for our flight out instead of using Inverness airport and Heathrow.
Thank you all for your advice.
Last edited by Cromarty Firth Pilot on 02 Apr 2022, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

There should be no problem with getting to Southampton airport from the cruise terminal - just get one of the many taxis that will be waiting at the terminal.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We've used the local taxi's outside the terminal to take us to Southampton airport many times you don't need to book if just using Southampton Airport. We used to use Flyb from Glasgow or Edinburgh but of course they are out of business :(

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Welcome to the forum Cromarty Firth Pilot :wave:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We have used the taxis between the docks and the airport on several occasions and they have been great.
I can't remember which firm we used but at the time it was cheaper to pre-book one of the local companies rather than use the airport/dock taxis.

Return to “P&O”