Vaccinations and testing

Topics that are specific to cruising

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Vaccinations and testing

Post by oldbluefox »

Stephen wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 12:00
Go for the online 24/7 option and save all the hassle
I think that's what I'll be doing early on the day of departure down to Southampton. Hopefully by the time we are ready to set off we will have our fit to sail certificate.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 13:06
Stephen wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 12:00
Go for the online 24/7 option and save all the hassle
I think that's what I'll be doing early on the day of departure down to Southampton. Hopefully by the time we are ready to set off we will have our fit to sail certificate.
Ditto.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Does anyone know if you need a hard copy or will the text/email on the phone suffice?
Pity P&O cannot be more specific. The likelihood is they may not know themselves yet.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I pretty sure that I have read that you can have an electronic copy - just as long as it contains all the required information

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We’ll have our test on the Friday morning then hopefully set off lunchtime. We’re booked into the premier inn Cirencester and will also call into the BIL in Ledbury.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 13:33
I pretty sure that I have read that you can have an electronic copy - just as long as it contains all the required information

I’m on the case David. Just emailed David Paul Ludlow to confirm what is acceptable.
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Apr 2022, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I can see why they've made the change. My brother sailed on Iona last night, now with more than 4000 passengers. There were queues up to 3 hours at times for testing. The ship was late sailing, first because of delays boarding then a medical emergency.

For peace of mind I just wish they had a small back up facility at the port, even if charged, as a back up in the event that a test fails to work or there's an IT problem getting the certificate. They say there won't be, but in fact they will still be testing unvaccinated older children so they must have something. Just unwilling to use it.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 15:02
There were queues up to 3 hours at times for testing.
I wonder how much of that was caused by passengers turning up at the terminal at a time other than the one that they were requested to turn up?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 15:15
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 15:02
There were queues up to 3 hours at times for testing.
I wonder how much of that was caused by passengers turning up at the terminal at a time other than the one that they were requested to turn up?

Quite a bit I should imagine.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That won't change while P&O continue to reward early arrivals by allowing them to jump the queue and giving them lunch. If they started turning them round at the terminal door and telling them to come back later the word would soon go round. Anarchy is okay when you're only boarding 1,000 passengers. With 5,000 no chance.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 17 Apr 2022, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 17:12
That won't change while P&O continue to reward early arrivals by allowing them to jump the queue and giving them lunch. If they started turning them round at the terminal door and telling them to come back later the word would soon go round. Anarchy is okay when you're only boarding 1,000 passengers. With 5,000 no chance.
but what about coaches? do they still have different times for each passenger?
Meg
x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have been boarding up to 4000 passengers regularly for years without the slightest hint of any anarchy. P&O really do need to learn from their peers and step up to the plate and provide the same sort of service for their paying guests.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 19:47
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have been boarding up to 4000 passengers regularly for years without the slightest hint of any anarchy. P&O really do need to learn from their peers and step up to the plate and provide the same sort of service for their paying guests.
So you say regularly. Maybe they have better behaved passengers. However clever you are you can't board 4000 people at the same time.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Meg 50 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 19:44
If they do they should sort it. But in our experience the coaches are generally timed to arrive mid afternoon. The problem I think is the independent passengers who try to turn up at midday even if they're given a later time.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Meg 50 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 19:44
No Meg all the passengers on my coach had the same check-in time Times are staggered for coach arrivals - I arrived at docks a few hours before my son. Unfortunately he also got held up after security when the bridge to the ship moved and engineers had to fix the problem - he was not happy !!!
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

The bridge to the ship wouldn't have dared to have moved if it had been a Celebrity ship! :crazy:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 20:37
The bridge to the ship wouldn't have dared to have moved if it had been a Celebrity ship! :crazy:
:lolno:
Janis

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 20:37
Quite correct, it would have been fixed properly in the first place.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Our check-in time is usually Pm but we tend to arrive for breakfast ;)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I didn't even know the bridge could move ... maybe that is why those big RCI ships have the mall down the middle, so that they can move the bridge to the back :whistles innocently:

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I had problems one year sailing on Aurora. The air bridge at Southampton had problems, the Captain was very unamused. Long delays in the end we had to walk along the dockside and up the gangplank. Late sailing that night.

Lindsey

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Surely that’s the Ports responsibility,not P&O.!
Mel

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

screwy wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 09:53
Surely that’s the Ports responsibility,not P&O.!
The air bridge should automatically adjust to cope with tidal variances, presumably it could fail because of dock side or ship side malfunction.
John

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

With the 3 rd June being a bank holiday and chemist closed,I’ve ordered 2 online tests from the Official rapid test company, the one Stephen mentioned.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just had a reply from Carnival regarding clarifying methods of showing proof of Antigen test.

Thank you for your email.

Once a test is taken within the required time frame, both a digital copy or printed hard copy of your certificate of negative result will be accepted at the terminal.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Kind regards,

Abi
Guest Support

Carnival House, 100 Harbour Parade, Southampton, SO15 1ST
mime-attachment.gif
Last edited by Stephen on 20 Apr 2022, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”