Topics that are specific to cruising

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vaccinations and testing

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 16:40
The thought of Long Covid is a definite concern
It may be, but there are far more serious conditions to worry about - cancer being one of them.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

david63 wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 18:55
It may be, but there are far more serious conditions to worry about - cancer being one of them.
It may end up that the weight of numbers of long Covid sufferers causes knock on effects throughout society, including cancer treatments.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 23:18
It may end up that the weight of numbers of long Covid sufferers causes knock on effects throughout society, including cancer treatments.
That may be so, but as there is nothing that I can do about something unknown in the future I will concentrate on the here and now.

We have two options - either get on with life, and deal with whatever it throws at us as when it happens, or become a hermit, and I know which one I will be doing.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 23:18
It cant be too serious a problem at present, otherwise it would be all over the BBC news.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Interesting point that ...

Assuming that the cancer sufferer survives the chances are that a very large number will go on to live a nearly normal life. On the other hand the two that I know with Long Covid have very little energy to do very much at all and are certainly not living anything like a normal life at this point in time.

ps ... thanks for the link Gill :thumbup:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 24 Jul 2022, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I’ve still got the postcovid cough after 4 weeks,although it feels now more of a ‘wet’ cough than a dry one but not producing anything . I’d love to get rid of a few ‘dockyard oysters’
Sorry if your eating. 🤣🤣
Mel

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

david63 wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 08:37

We have two options - either get on with life, and deal with whatever it throws at us as when it happens, or become a hermit, and I know which one I will be doing.
Why is everything so binary today? There's lots of things that can be done between two extremes.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 15:58
Why is everything so binary today?
Because otherwise it is called "having your cake and eating it!!!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Sam Smith claims he's non-binary.

To be honest it's not for me.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 15:58
david63 wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 08:37

Why is everything so binary today? There's lots of things that can be done between two extremes.
I didnt see that David said we should do nothing, he said we should get on with it, which presumably might mean lots of safeguards for some and few or none for others.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I learnt this morning that Southampton Hospital Trust are running ' Long Covid ' courses, to teach the patient how to breathe properly and to build their energy levels. No idea how well it will work though.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

After my heart op I had guidance on deep breathing. I do check my oxygen SATS from time to time and it's amazing how much difference a few deep controlled breaths makes. Hope it helps.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 12:28
After my heart op I had guidance on deep breathing. I do check my oxygen SATS from time to time and it's amazing how much difference a few deep controlled breaths makes. Hope it helps.
Similar story with me when I was in hospital last year. My oxygen levels were low at times so the nurse said you can either take a few deep breaths or go on oxygen - no contest really.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I read an interesting post of a FB cruise group yesterday.

Someone asked the question, "does one still have to isolate in your cabin if you test positive for Covid"?

One of the answers was, "If I felt ill I wouldn't test so I wouldn't be made to isolate".

Is it just me or is that supremely selfish? Yes this thing is less of a problem now with treatments and vaccines but it is still a klller of vulnerable people. Would you want that on your conscience?

This seems the same attitude, but worse, as the people who lie on their health declaration form about symptoms of gastric illness and then bring Norovirus on board (and then probably start demanding compensation).

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

What are the current rules on producing evidence of vaccination? I know I'm just being lazy and I could look it up. Also (still being lazy but I find the P&O website reduces me to frustration) do we now have to download, tickets, labels and possibly other things? This is only for a four night cruise on Aurora. I don't have to worry about excursions as there's only one port, Amsterdam where I've been several times before. My daughter, who's coming with me, has a friend living there so she will go off and have lunch with her and I'll stay on board, be rather nice having a less crowded ship to wander around and reacquaint myself with a much loved ship. I've read about the P&O app which I believe is now no longer necessary to use. We're on Club Dining so I assume we won't need to worry about booking a table in the MDR. I sound like a newcomer but things have changed so much since I last cruised in 2019.

Carole

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 11:45
I read an interesting post of a FB cruise group yesterday.

Someone asked the question, "does one still have to isolate in your cabin if you test positive for Covid"?

One of the answers was, "If I felt ill I wouldn't test so I wouldn't be made to isolate".

Is it just me or is that supremely selfish? Yes this thing is less of a problem now with treatments and vaccines but it is still a klller of vulnerable people. Would you want that on your conscience?

This seems the same attitude, but worse, as the people who lie on their health declaration form about symptoms of gastric illness and then bring Norovirus on board (and then probably start demanding compensation).
It is bloody selfish Sir Merv…but having paid in the region of £3/5k for their cruise they won’t be alone in taking that attitude. Conscience is easily dismissed when you don’t know the people affected…Besides, you would have to be bloody stupid if you go on a cruise expecting people to be thinking of others, especially so in that kind of environment…. pays your money takes your chance will be the attitude of most in today’s less infectious times.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The old saying come to mind. 'I'm all right jack, s*d the rest'

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

One of the issues around Covid on cruise ships (and as far as I am aware all cruise lines are the same) is with the area of insurance due to the fact that even the insurance companies don't know what their own rules are, and the cruise lines just "wash their hands" over the matter.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

CaroleF wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 12:23
What are the current rules on producing evidence of vaccination?
Currently for most ports you do not have to produce anything.
do we now have to download, tickets, labels
Yes - been that way for some time now and long before Covid.
I've read about the P&O app which I believe is now no longer necessary to use.
I believe that it is optional, but as you say being on Club dining does reduce the need. One thing that I found extremely useful with the "app" was being able to check my onboard account whenever and wherever I wanted.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Onelife wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 12:31
You would have to be bloody stupid if you go on a cruise expecting people to be thinking of others, especially so in that kind of environment…. pays your money takes your chance will be the attitude of most in today’s less infectious times.
But it's not less infectious times. It's more infectious, just, for most people, less likely to be fatal.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 13:14
Onelife wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 12:31
You would have to be bloody stupid if you go on a cruise expecting people to be thinking of others, especially so in that kind of environment…. pays your money takes your chance will be the attitude of most in today’s less infectious times.
But it's not less infectious times. It's more infectious, just, for most people, less likely to be fatal.
Fair point Sir Merv…however, less fatal equates to more complacency for most people.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I have to confess that I am now viewing covid as little different to flu, we have our annual fly vax and now we have our covid boosters. Fortunately I dont think either of us have had the infection yet, and I live in hope that the vaccines will continue to protect us.
I do have sympathy for those with weakened immune symptoms, but we now only wear masks when requested to, in places like hospitals and doctors surgeries, and dont takes test kits on holiday with us, so unless we have symptoms that require us to visit the medical dept, then we would not know if we had covid while on holiday.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

And even hospitals appear more relaxed with mask wearing for patients.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I had a few weird symptoms recently and thought it may have been related to when I had covid, even though it was relatively mild.
I had blurred vision, pins and needles and I was what I would call, a bit wobbly (without alcohol)
Anyway, after tests it seems that I have a serious B12 deficiency . No idea why.
The proposed solution is a course of B12 injections, three a week for three weeks, then every three months while being monitored.
I’m having to renew our annual travel insurance shortly and wondering if I need to tell them.
Empty vessels .. and all that

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

david63 wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 12:55
What are the current rules on producing evidence of vaccination?
Currently for most ports you do not have to produce anything.
do we now have to download, tickets, labels
Yes - been that way for some time now and long before Covid.
I've read about the P&O app which I believe is now no longer necessary to use.
I believe that it is optional, but as you say being on Club dining does reduce the need. One thing that I found extremely useful with the "app" was being able to check my onboard account whenever and wherever I wanted.
My understanding is that you no longer have to print tickets, just a boarding pass.?
Mel

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”