Vaccinations and testing

Topics that are specific to cruising

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Vaccinations and testing

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 16:09
I had a few weird symptoms recently and thought it may have been related to when I had covid, even though it was relatively mild.
I had blurred vision, pins and needles and I was what I would call, a bit wobbly (without alcohol)
Anyway, after tests it seems that I have a serious B12 deficiency . No idea why.
The proposed solution is a course of B12 injections, three a week for three weeks, then every three months while being monitored.
I’m having to renew our annual travel insurance shortly and wondering if I need to tell them.

When declaring any medical conditions try putting in B12 deficiency in the search tab and see if it is listed, or to be on the safe side give the insurance people a call. I wouldn't think it makes much difference to the price of the policy. They are more interested in things like heart or cancer problems.
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Feb 2023, 16:21, edited 2 times in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

barney wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 16:09
I had a few weird symptoms recently and thought it may have been related to when I had covid, even though it was relatively mild.
I had blurred vision, pins and needles and I was what I would call, a bit wobbly (without alcohol)
Anyway, after tests it seems that I have a serious B12 deficiency . No idea why.
The proposed solution is a course of B12 injections, three a week for three weeks, then every three months while being monitored.
I’m having to renew our annual travel insurance shortly and wondering if I need to tell them.
Hi Barney, I’m no expert but logic tells me that you would most definitely have to declare this condition on travel/health insurance.

Are Vitamin B12 shots covered by insurance? Vitamins are typically not covered by insurance. However, vitamin B12 injections are considered specific therapy for some conditions, such as specific anemias, gastrointestinal conditions, and neuropathies.2 Nov 2022

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I've no idea what B12 jabs do but our last dog had them!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 16:43
Likewise Merv, but I hope the dog is still with you 😂
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

barney wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 17:50
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 16:43
Likewise Merv, but I hope the dog is still with you 😂
Err. Sadly no. But she was quite old. I'm sure you've got a few years yet. So long as you avoid Keefie's chocs.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

A sobering tale from the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consu ... d-booster/

A not untypical story of "well, it doesn't apply to me". A reminder to read carefully all correspondence from Operator and travel agent. Either they did and ignored it or didn't bother. Either way, it's cost them a few bob. No sympathy from me, I'm afraid.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 12:31
No sympathy from me, I'm afraid.
Nor me.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 12:43
kaymar wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 12:31
No sympathy from me, I'm afraid.
Nor me.
Lots of sympathy from me, especially since they now accept passengers who are unvaccinated at all.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 13:28
they now accept passengers who are unvaccinated
That is irrelevant to this report - it is the vaccine requirements that were required at the time that appertain.

With Covid vaccine requirements changing all the time then it would be prudent to keep up to date with what is required and in this case, by their own admission, they did not read the email that was sent to them.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Has anyone had this update from P&O dated 27 February. I haven't to the baest of my knowledge.
The following was taken from traveltomorrow.com.

During the pandemic, cruise lines have imposed several restrictions to avoid the virus spreading onboard. As cases decreased and vaccination rates rose, major companies decided to relax the rules. P&O Cruises is the latest company to announce its guests are no longer required to be fully vaccinated or present a negative Covid-19 test before boarding.

Customers received a message on Monday, 27 February, informing them that “as health protocols for Covid-19 continue to evolve around the world”, the cruise line made an important update to its pre-cruise vaccination and testing requirements to share with its passengers
As of this week, Covid-19 vaccination and testing are no longer mandatory for guests travelling on P&O Cruises holidays, with the exception of those booked on cruise J301. Nevertheless, while vaccination is no longer mandatory, the cruise line still “highly recommends” to all of the guests travelling on its ships to keep up-to-date with Covid-19 vaccinations and boosters when eligible and where available. Passengers who display symptoms or generally feel unwell in the days leading up to their holiday are also urged to take a Covid-19 test before they travel and only continue with their plans if the test is negative. On the day of embarkation, passengers are asked to tell terminal or check-in staff if they present any symptoms.

Before this week, all guests were asked to be fully vaccinated and have at least one booster dose administered a minimum of 14 days before travelling. Additionally, passengers had to take either a lateral flow or rapid antigen test within 24 hours before embarkation or a PCR test within 48 hours before embarkation. Only travellers with proof of negative test results were allowed aboard.

The only ship on P&O’s portfolio that still applies these rules is cruise number J301, comprising Arcadia’s World Cruise, Classic Southern Hemisphere Journeys or Exotic fly-cruises.
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I've not had it but we don't sail with P&O until 2024, by which time rules will have probably changed again! It won't make any difference to us. We have jab number 6 this week and certificates coming out of our ears. As far as we're concerned jabs are to protect us, not those around us. Masks and tests are more for the protection of fellow passengers.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 23 Apr 2023, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”