Arcadia cruises cancelled

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Arcadia cruises cancelled

Post by Kendhni »

Shame to hear that P&O has had to cancel 7 cruises due to lack of staff.
https://www.cruisehive.com/po-cruises-c ... lity/69600

I suspect that this is going to be a problem in many industries, including cruising, until we can rid ourselves of COVID. Locally we have seen restaurants and bars being forced to close, a hotel had to shut its doors and doctor appointments have been cancelled ... all because staff have had COVID. It will not be possible for many companies to survive these shut downs.

Fingers crossed for our cruises.
Last edited by Kendhni on 14 Apr 2022, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Arcadia cruises cancelled

Post by Ray B »

This is a problem I should imagine exists cross all the cruise industry as they try to ramp up some kind off normal. Some of the old staff may have found other jobs, old and new will need a bit of training before going on ships. So recruitment may be taking a while to reach the numbers required.
As you say Ken, it's a problem for all type of service industries.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Indeed Ray, several of our airports seem to be really suffering at the minute.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Travelling home from Britannia - bit chaotic getting off ship P&O rep trying his best to confuse everyone but that’s another story!!!

Crew buses were arriving as we disembarked - some of which were carrying the Arcadia name. Didn’t count but there were a lot of buses and crew and they were needed - the ship was definitely understaffed particularly in the dining areas. The cabin steward cleaned a phenomenal number of cabins but only once a day.

Some of our crew looked so young and it was obvious were new to the job - very few more “mature” staff except head waiters - even they had to get stuck in sometimes!!!
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

And of course as passenger numbers rise so does the need for hotel staff such as Stewards and Waiters etc.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 13:35
And of course as passenger numbers rise so does the need for hotel staff such as Stewards and Waiters etc.
That’s true Merv - I’m not sure how many were on the ship but it certainly wasn’t full capacity. We found some of the waiters very rude and abrupt while others were really charming - we heard a few passengers complaining in the dining room.
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 14:23
That’s true Merv - I’m not sure how many were on the ship but it certainly wasn’t full capacity. We found some of the waiters very rude and abrupt while others were really charming - we heard a few passengers complaining in the dining room.
And rightly so.

Better take a stash of compo forms with me.
Last edited by Stephen on 15 Apr 2022, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Might be better to get Mrs S to take her waitress outfit. She could earn a bob or two.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

... or less if Steven wears it

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Jan Rosser wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 14:23
Jan, I hope you had an enjoyable cruise.
About the restaurant waiters, I thought that a lot of them lacked the skill, that of a waiter. The serving from one side and removing from the other. We had serving to the both sides whilst standing between guests, reaching across to remove plates and not serving the meal to the correct guest. Plus, bring back the wine waiters.
In fairness to the waiters, they seem to be stretched for what they had to look after. I hope this is a temporary thing until numbers improve.
Bar waiters were very good, especially in the blue bar, and I found the reception staff very friendly and helpful. I did hear one or two guests who thought raising their voices to receptionists was going to resolve their problem, ignorant a/holes.
But, don't get me wrong, they all did well, and we had a very good time on Azura.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 17:11
Might be better to get Mrs S to take her waitress outfit. She could earn a bob or two.

:eh: What waitress outfit.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Apr 2022, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”