How does P&O booking work?

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

How does P&O booking work?

Post by Ranchi »

Just took the decision to dip our toes back into the cruising pool. Due to work & family commitments we always booked as soon as possible to ensure we got the cabin etc. that we wanted. We almost always used the same agent and although we got no extra discount with her she was very knowledgeable and helpful when things went wrong or needed altering and we were happy with the service. We were looking at a cruise in late summer and just to get an idea of what was available I went online (P&O site.) All it could offer was a choice of 3 standard outsides cabins on F deck ( forward or aft) All other decks were unavailable. If you put in a non identified cabin number it came up with either ‘not available’ or ‘On hold for another guest’. The only alternative was a balcony or inside (we have mostly cruised in inside cabins, but this time didn’t fancy one.) The balcony prices were too much.
I rang our travel agent & she could only offer limited cabins on F deck. I tried P&O & got the same story. Branching out I tried the well known Derbyshire TA by phone with no better outcome. I then tried another TA, online this time & whilst online up popped a larger outside in a much better position. So we booked it.
The next day I thought I’d see if any other larger outsides were available & there were none on offer. The only outsides available were 3 forward but today they were on E deck. I suppose the F deck cabins could all have been snapped up yesterday & three folk had cancelled their E deck cabins at about the same time, but I doubt it. I know they are running at reduced capacity & there are cabins set aside for isolation but it does seem strange to me the way cabins appear & disappear.
Incidentally, I notice that P&O’s website offers a refund of the difference if you see your cruise cheaper elsewhere within 24h of purchase.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: How does P&O booking work?

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

A vital question; how far ahead is the cruise you're trying to book?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It can get even worse than that. You can go through the booking process, either online or through a TA and when you get to the final step an click "Go" the cabin that you have selected has either been booked by someone else or the price has gone up!

It really is no different to any other travel booking system - basically first come best (or only) cabin!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 May 2022, 14:26
A vital question; how far ahead is the cruise you're trying to book?
Just re-read your post and you say late summer. So at this point it is more than likely it is virtually sold out with very few cabins available. It is also getting towards balances being payable so there will be people cancelling or moving cruises while they can so cabins become free again. The only advice is if you see what you fancy grab it.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 01 May 2022, 15:43
if you see what you fancy grab it
Good job Stephen isn't around!!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm safe. He doesn't fancy me.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You couldn't afford me.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

make sure you click on the no upgrade if necessary
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stephen wrote: 01 May 2022, 16:31
You couldn't afford me.
You're right. I'm right out of 50p pieces.

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Just checked today & P&O is only offering 3 outside cabins on the cruise we had booked (2 on F deck & 1 on E deck). The company we eventually went with had 4 on E deck (including the one on P&O’s site) and 26 on F deck.
I’m not particularly concerned about it. I just wondered if there was a logic to it.
I do think that we were lucky to have got the cabin we did & that it just popped up as we happened to be on the website at the time. There have been no more of that type available since. Don’t think I’ll go on either website again- in case the price drops!

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Worth noting that p and o will only price match the cruise within 24 hours if you have a written quote from the travel agent - we tried to get a written quote from 2 well known travel agents and they both refused to provide it….can’t really blame them though !

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 03 May 2022, 17:42
Worth noting that p and o will only price match the cruise within 24 hours if you have a written quote from the travel agent - we tried to get a written quote from 2 well known travel agents and they both refused to provide it….can’t really blame them though !
Pure speculation ... but I remember 15 or so years ago travel agents making a big fuss because cruise companies were offering discounts through direct sales (after all they were cutting out the middle man ... the TA). In the end it was agreed they would not do that but commissions came down. So any discounts must be coming from the TAs own commissions.

I would surmise that it would be an incredible "act of self harm" (to use a phrase from Rees-Mogg) for a TA to provide a written quote ... that would allow P&O to reduce their prices thereby hitting commissions across the board.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

LadyPCruiser wrote: 03 May 2022, 17:42
won't they accept a screen shot?
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I had a similar issue with car insurance on my wife's car with Saga a few years ago. If they increased the price they promised to match a better quote. Well they did increase the price, by a lot. I got not just one but more than a dozen better quotes from a price comparison site. But no, they said it had to be a quote in writing. My reaction was to say that's a lot of bother so it will be simpler to just cancel with you and take one of the alternatives. So they said you can't do that, it's your wife's policy, we'll have to talk to her. I said that's fine, she's authorised me to act in her behalf so in that case we just won't pay the renewal premium and presumably you'll cancel the policy. Which we did and I won't touch their car insurance with a barge pole ever again.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 04 May 2022, 14:41, edited 2 times in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I was attempting to renew the shop internet contract today and because it’s in Jane’s name the guy said that he could only speak to her.
I’m Jane, I said.
Oh! he said.
Long pause.
Ok, let’s talk.
Business concluded 😂😂😂
I think he was too embarrassed to say anything.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 May 2022, 14:39
I had a similar issue with car insurance on my wife's car with Saga a few years ago. If they increased the price they promised to match a better quote. Well they did increase the price, by a lot. I got not just one but more than a dozen better quotes from a price comparison site. But no, they said it had to be a quote in writing. My reaction was to say that's a lot of bother so it will be simpler to just cancel with you and take one of the alternatives. So they said you can't do that, it's your wife's policy, we'll have to talk to her. I said that's fine, she's authorised me to act in her behalf so in that case we just won't pay the renewal premium and presumably you'll cancel the policy. Which we did and I won't touch their car insurance with a barge pole ever again.
Run it thru something like Quidco/TopCashBack as well ... last year I got just under £100 back (£60 for one car and £37 for the other) on top of the cheapest insurance I have ever had.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

barney wrote: 04 May 2022, 21:16
I was attempting to renew the shop internet contract today and because it’s in Jane’s name the guy said that he could only speak to her.
I’m Jane, I said.
Oh! he said.
Long pause.
Ok, let’s talk.
Business concluded 😂😂😂

I always thought there was something different about you barney :D

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen wrote: 05 May 2022, 07:13
barney wrote: 04 May 2022, 21:16
I’m Jane, I said.
Oh! he said.
Long pause.
Ok, let’s talk.
Business concluded 😂😂😂

I always thought there was something different about you barney :D
I didn’t even change voice tone 😂
They are so terrified of causing offence that they don’t know what to say or do.
The poor guy was obviously struggling but I just let the silence continue until he had no choice but to continue 😂😂😂
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Your wicked :lol: ……..good move though

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »