Smurfie's Return to Cruising

Reports about cruises on Britannia

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Smurfie's Return to Cruising

Post by MaureenB »

Thank you David.

I'm not sure what to make of that!! Strange behaviour. Oh well I shall have to play old,lame biddy in two weeks time :lol:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sunday 15th May
The journey down from Donnington started off OK and then went downhill (literally). The M3 was atrocious when the rain started. Anyway we arrived at Ocean Terminal about 11:30, unloaded the baggage and then had to take it ourselves to the hole in the wall as, for some unfathomable reason the porters were not portering but taking great delight in watching passengers struggle with their cases.

Once the cases were unloaded we took the car to Parking 4 Cruises and then walked back to the terminal. Outside the terminal all our paperwork was checked, given a green sticker and up into the embarkation area where we were asked had anything changed since our Health Declaration was done. Then to the check in desks to check passports and then through to security – all done and dusted in around 10 minutes. There was then a delay in waiting for security to open. Anyway about 20 minutes later we were then through security and on the ship. The issue of mask wearing was, at best, interesting – 90% were wearing masks, the others not and there was no enforcement.

Once on board it was to the muster station to have your boarding pass scanned. Now why they cannot print the name of the venue where the muster station is and only print the muster station letter is somewhat of a mystery! The first impressions of Britannia are favourable – even though she is a big girl.

After visiting the muster station it was back down to the Meridian restaurant for the Peninsular lunch which is now a server meal and is probably one of the better meals that we have had on P&O. Cabins were ready about 13:39 and upon arriving all our cases were waiting for us – so unpacked and everything away by 15:00. Next waqs trying to get the app sorted, which was relatively simple.

There is no muster drill now just a video that you are supposed to watch on the TV and an announcement by the Captain.

We are in one of the aft suites which although “compact” has more storage space than many of the suits on P&O ships. What it does have is a massive wrap around balcony, albeigh not a deep balcony.

One thing that I don’t like already with this nship is the inability to get from one place to another without going up, walking along and then going down. We are on F deck (9) and there is no sign of any cabins being segregated fot isolation purposes – so either they have reduced the isolation cabins or they are not using this deck..

We have opted for second sitting dinner and were surprises at how few there were in the Dining Room – I would estimate that it was about one third full. Incidentally they are biw saving part drunk bottles of wine until the next night. Also mask wearing by passengers is virtually non-existant within the ship.

Well tomorrow is a sea day so will be mainly dedicated to exploring the ship.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’m now combining compo and complaint forms David if you need any, ref porters.

Thanks for the report.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Perhaps one has to wave a porter over and then tip him for his services. They don't know if you actually want a porter if you don't ask ... yes / no ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Hi David,
Is Parking 4 cruises operating as pre covid?
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:07
Perhaps one has to wave a porter over and then tip him for his services. They don't know if you actually want a porter if you don't ask ... yes / no ?
Mmmm, let me think about this. I'm employed as a porter, I can see passengers luggage that needs taking, now what should I be doing!

Shouldn't need to ask or tip, it's they're job and what they are there for.

Never been a problem when we've been starting to off load our luggage from the car. They come along take our luggage and then leg it, we thank them and they deal with it.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 May 2022, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:35
Hi David,
Is Parking 4 cruises operating as pre covid?
Yes
Tried that and was told what to do

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:05
Mmmm, let me think about this. I'm employed as a porter, I can see passengers luggage that needs taking, now what should I be doing!

Shouldn't need to ask or tip, it's they're job and what they are there for.

Never been a problem when we've been starting to off load our luggage from the car. They come along take our luggage and then leg it, we thank them and they deal with it.
But then along came Covid so perhaps they've been told to proceed only by invitation ... H&S rules

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If they're not exactly portering they are making themselves redundant. They've always done a good job in the past, only ever had one miserable one but they are not much use if they're just standing around doing nothing.

RAwllE-12
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RAwllE-12 »

On our last cruise, a few weeks back, we joined the queue to leave our car with C.P.S. and we had to wait until 12p.m. when C.P.S started to check cars in and the porters started to collect luggage from the cars. I was informed by the lady that checked the car that this is now the norm.
I should have been there in three weeks' time but P.O. has cancelled the cruise. It will be October before I find out if that is the norm.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I travelled by coach to Southampton and as usual just got off the coach and didn’t give a thought to the luggage - there were porters waiting for the side door on the coach to open up to remove suitcases and the next time I saw my case it was outside my cabin. Surely the same should apply when people unload their cars - getting fed up of the Covid excuse for everything now :crazy: On disembarkation I didn’t need a porter - I could manage the one case myself.
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I wonder if they don't come on duty until 12.00 when CPS start checking in cars which would explain why they were not operating when David arrived.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote: 16 May 2022, 16:13
I wonder if they don't come on duty until 12.00 when CPS start checking in cars which would explain why they were not operating when David arrived.
Makes sense .... he shouldn't try to get there first anyway :lol:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You can say that but I couldn't possibly 😇

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

That thought crossed my mind as well

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 May 2022, 16:28
Makes sense .... he shouldn't try to get there first anyway :lol:

Perhaps he had missed breakfast back at the hotel :D

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

David, can you check if the launderettes are now open on Britannia, not that I expect to need to use them, but just in case I need to iron something.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 16 May 2022, 19:39
David, can you check if the launderettes are now open on Britannia, not that I expect to need to use them, but just in case I need to iron something.
Yes they are - well at least some are, not sure if all of them are

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Monday 16th May – Sea day
Fairly quiet day today mostly spent orientating ourselves with Britannia and there is a lot of ship to get orientated with! Had some sun late morning early afternoon which meant we were able to sit out on the balcony – until the liquid sunshine spoilt it all.

Went to the theatre this evening – a Paloma Faith trbute act which was excellent. There was no requirement to wear masks in the theatre nor was there any social distancing. Having said that the theatre was only around half full.

One significant change since Covid is the reduction of the drinks list in the bars and restaurants, Gone are the multitude of cocktails and replaced with about a dozen, no vast selection of gins and a very reduced wine list in the restaurants, but with a much larger selection of wines by the glass, The wine service in the restaurants is quite slow as it is the normal restaurant waiter who are taking the wine orders.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Perhaps there was supply issue and why the ship didn’t get fully restocked with booze in time on turn around.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Stephen wrote: 17 May 2022, 07:13
Perhaps there was supply issue and why the ship didn’t get fully restocked with booze in time on turn around.
Same when I was on board Stephen so may be the new “normal” - less choice!!!
Janis

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

David, do you know how many passengers are on board?
Once you get some warm sunshine I recommend the serenity pool area, it's quieter and more relaxing than the main pool area.
Last edited by towny44 on 17 May 2022, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Jan Rosser wrote: 17 May 2022, 09:02

If this is the new Norm Jan then passengers that enjoy a good choice of drinks may look elsewhere for they’re choice of cruising company.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 17 May 2022, 10:23
Jan Rosser wrote: 17 May 2022, 09:02

If this is the new Norm Jan then passengers that enjoy a good choice of drinks may look elsewhere for they’re choice of cruising company.
I imagine it is due to the lower staffing levels, which hopefully will be restored once separate quarantine areas are abandoned.
John

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Same as David and Jan, on our cruise, very little choice of drinks available. Some bars having drinks where as other bars different choice, some waiters going the extra mile and fetching the requested drink from another bar.
Having the restaurant waiters dealing with wine orders is a total disaster. But being able to leave an opened bottle of wine at the MDR is a move to some normality.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”