Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Smurfie's Return to Cruising

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 17 May 2022, 09:08
David, do you know how many passengers are on board?
I am led to believe that there are around 1900 on this cruise which would make about 50%

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 17 May 2022, 16:15
towny44 wrote: 17 May 2022, 09:08
David, do you know how many passengers are on board?
I am led to believe that there are around 1900 on this cruise which would make about 50%
That is low, clearly pre cruise testing, mask wearing, quarantine, offloading and P&Os lousy customer service are all having a big impact. Meanwhile US lines seem to be operating at much higher levels according to reports.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Iona is currently operating at 80% plus.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I’ll be quite happy with low passenger numbers come our July jaunt. I might even get a sun bed round the pool with elbow room :thumbup:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 17 May 2022, 18:00
That is low, clearly pre cruise testing, mask wearing, quarantine, offloading and P&Os lousy customer service are all having a big impact. Meanwhile US lines seem to be operating at much higher levels according to reports.
I think that it is more to do with the cruise than anything as it is a Baltic cruise and with St Petes being cancelled I suspect that many have cancelled.

Apparantly Britannia is full foe the next cruise - although what "full" is in this day and age is anyone's guess

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Tuesday 17th May – Sdea day
Another queit day still finding our way around the ship. From what we have seen so far we are rapidly coming to the conclusion that this could well be our favorite ship – the only thing that we think is missing is an Anderson’s type of bar.

Tonight was the first formal night – now renamed as “Celebration” night. There is no captain’s welcome party but we do get a voucher foe a free drink of “fizz, and weren’t the freeloaders out in force – never seen so many folk in the bars! The dress code was really well adhered to but of course there always has to be the few who have to make the point that “black tie” is not for them – nothing wrong as they were perfectly well aware that they were conforming – but smart casual can have many connotations. One interesting fact, and I don’t know if it was a misprint in the Horizon, is that both of the Freedom Dining restaurants were designated as being Black Tie venues, along with the Crow’s Nest, but the Club Dining restarant wasn’t,

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 18th May – Copenhagen
Woke up to find ourselves docked in Copenhagen. Now two things have changed since we were last here – the dock is now miles out of town as opposed to being next to the Little Mermaid and the second being that the weather was infinitely better being dry and sunny, but with quite a strong wind that was keeping it somewhat colder than it looked.

Before coming on the cruise we had decided that we would go to the Tivoli Gardens and had bought tickets in advance so that we would be able to fast track inti the gardens. The only real option to get into town was to use the shuttle bus which, incidentally, took about half an hour.

The only way to get into town is to use the shuttle bus which takes around 30 minutes. Now here is where we encounter P&O’s usual inefficiency – we were told at both the port talk and in the Horizon that the shuttle bus would drop us off at King’s Square, wrong – the shuttle bus drops you off over a mile away at the Cathedral. Also we are told in the Horizon that we will need to wear masks in Denmark – wrong again as virtually none of the locals were wearing masks!

Anyway having got off the shuttle and established our location we proceeded to find Tivoli which was only about a 15 minute walk – or would have been if we had gone to the entrance rather than the exit. Tivoli was a good day out but somewhat disappointing as there are not that many “gardens” there these days as it has been given over to theme park rides. I then took out a second mortgage so that we could have an eye watering lunch.

Thursday 19th May – Keil
Despite the weather forecast being for rain all day it was in fact a very hot (25C) and sunny day.

We had pre-booked a trip to Lubeck today and it brough back all the reasons why I dislike going on P&O’s organised excursions. To start with it about 1.5 hour’s drive then there was so much hanging aeound – basically because there really was not that much to see/do (other than retail therapy). Lubeck is quite interesting with its old part but that is about it – certainly won’t be going back in a hurry. In the “free” time that we had we had a typical German lunch (with beer of course) in the market square, which was infinitely cheaper than that of the previous day. There was then another 1.5 hour’s drive back to the ship.

Another moderately uninspiring meal in the restaurant toninght. One thing that has changed in the restaurant is that you now have to order dessert at the same time as you order the main meal.

This evening’s entertainment in the theatre was Josh Henderson doing a Freddy Mercury tribute act – have seen plenty worse Freddy acts.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

It all sounds just a little underwhelming, David. Shame about Tivoli Gardens - you're right, it is not much more than a theme park and should probably be renamed for the benefit of visitors. Good that you are enjoying the ship, though - perhaps you should just stay on board. :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Tivoli is a brilliant venue in the dark at Christmas time and Lubeck is great for Marzipan ... had you enquired pre booking we could have saved you a small fortune :roll:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

David, are all the extra cost restaurant venues open on Britannia?
John

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 20 May 2022, 15:23
Yes = although you have to book the Glass House

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 20 May 2022, 15:56

And looking online it’s book onboard only

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

david63 wrote: 20 May 2022, 15:56
That was the only restaurant on Azura we did not need to book.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

During the day it’s pitch up and enjoy Ray, but in the evening I’m not so sure unless things have changed, as David has pointed out.
Last edited by Stephen on 20 May 2022, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 20 May 2022, 20:15
During the day it’s pitch up and enjoy Ray, but in the evening I’m not so sure unless things have changed, as David has pointed out.
I think that we are in a transitional stage moving from the high protocols back to some semblence of normality and that things are probably different from one ship to another - and things tend to vary within the ship, almost from day to day.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 20 May 2022, 21:22
Stephen wrote: 20 May 2022, 20:15
I think that we are in a transitional stage moving from the high protocols back to some semblence of normality and that things are probably different from one ship to another - and things tend to vary within the ship, almost from day to day.
Thank you for the latest info David, it is most useful for us, as we are boarding after you disembark.
One further request please for your 2nd half cruise, can you advise where the shuttle drops you in Marseilles, how near the harbour that is, and how wheelchair friendly the harbour area is?
PS, what TV channels are you receiving, can you still get Sky News and Sky Sports News, and the Sport24 channel?
Last edited by towny44 on 20 May 2022, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
John

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 20 May 2022, 23:00
what TV channels are you receiving, can you still get Sky News and Sky Sports News, and the Sport24 channel?
Those channels are on the list of channels but I cannout vouch for their connectivity (or content ;) ) as I have not used any of them.

Re Marseilles - I will try and remember (remind me nearer the time)

Your personal cruise consultant signing off
:wave:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Perhaps D63 could ask the Captain if they intend to screen the Championship Final on the 29th :sarcasm:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 21 May 2022, 07:51
Perhaps D63 could ask the Captain if they intend to screen the Championship Final on the 29th :sarcasm:
That's OK Moby, I will still be home for that, we dont sail till 12th June.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 21 May 2022, 08:48
Manoverboard wrote: 21 May 2022, 07:51
That's OK Moby, I will still be home for that, we dont sail till 12th June.
All's well then :thumbup:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Friday 20th May – Sea Day
Today started out quite hot with plenty of sun so the morning was spent catching the rays on the balcony. Unfortunately by lunchtime the weather had deteriorated and had become overcast with a cold wind.

This evening was the second formal night and again there were those who stood out like a sore thumb. It still annoys me that women can get away with almost anything on a formal night and not get turned away from a “Black Tie” venue but men cannot get away with anything but a suit (of one type or another)

Due to the change of itinerary P&O’s left and right hands did not get their act together because the second formal night was scheduled to have been last night and with that in mind we booked to go to Epicurean for dinner. Sadly the standard or service, on our visit, was well below what we have come to expect, and receive, on previous visits – and it cannot be attributed to Covid staffing levels – although it could perhaps be poor management. (The matter has been dealt with)

Saturday 21st May – Stockholm
Having been to Stockholm before and done the main tourist sites we opted to go to the Ice Bar – something that I have wanted to do for a while.

The weather today was another cloudy, cool and windy day which made it unpleasant to even walk around the decks – bearing in mind that the Promenade deck on Britannia is “up top”.

The Ice Bar was interesting – somewhere you would never find on your own! Again P&O’s excellent planning meant that two coach loads arrived at around the same time so one coach load (ours) had to stand around waiting for the other coach load to visit the Ice Bar. Once in everyone is given a poncho and gloves – the result being that there were about 40 folk going around looking like ETs. Once kitted out you were then allowed through the air lock into the actual Ice Bar where, surprise, surprise everything is made of ice – even the glasses that you have your “free” drink in – and the drinks were pretty good.

After the visit to the Ice Bar were then went on a short walking tour of the “Old Town” which basically consisted of a walk around the outside of the Royal place and then some free time to ourselves which we spent in the Armoury of the palace,

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We visited the Ice Bar in Oslo. Two girls in the party asked if they were allowed to take the "glasses" home as souvenirs!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 May 2022, 22:53
We visited the Ice Bar in Oslo. Two girls in the party asked if they were allowed to take the "glasses" home as souvenirs!
Were they blonde?
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 22 May 2022, 23:04
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 May 2022, 22:53
Were they blonde?

And blind :D

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sunday 22nd May – Visby
This is a new port for us, and Britannia and have to say that the old town is a pretty little place – just a shame that the weather was dull and somewhat on the cool side. Be warned that if you visit here by cruise ship that there is a “temporary” bridge over the road from the cruise terminal – something that we would have appreciated being told in advance. The walk into the town took about 30 minutes and was well signposted – the impression being that the town wants the tourists but the residents probably don’t!

As is always the case once we returned to the ship the weather improved and the sun came out so we had to sit on the balcony soaking up the rays.

This evening was afirst for us in that we went to the Limelight Club – another, in our view, excellent venue. We had booked this before we sailed thus ensuring that we got the 20% discount off the cover charge (and our Peninsular discout). The meal we thought was good (not seen a piece of fillet steak that size fot a long time) although the service was a little on the slow side but that is probably due to the current staffing levels. Gareth Gates was on this evening and whilst I know of him he is not somebody that I can recall having seen before – nonetheless it was a good show and he performed for about an hour.

Monday 23rd May – Tallinn

Having been to Tallinn before and explored the Old Town we thought that we would do something different and went on the excursion that took us out to the summer palace, which is set in a large park. Fortunately the weather has changed and whist it was not exactly “cracking the flags” it was a welcome improvement from the last few days. The excursion ended up visiting the upper part of the Old Town and then it was back to the ship to find that our balcony was in the full sun (something that is unusual for our balcony as we always seem to miss ever being anywhere near the sun)

This evening we got the dreaded “ding, dong – this is the Captain” informing us that due to high winds we will not be visiting Skagen on Friday but will now be visiting Zeebrugge on Saturday instead. The captain also said that he would be leaving the ship tomorrow in Helsinki on compassionate grounds.

Tuesday 24th May – Helsinki

Today we awoke to find the sun beating down and although there was a cool breeze the day started off by being very pleasant and improved as the day progressed.

Helsinki is another port thst we have visited previously so today we decide to take the Ho-Ho to see some of the areas of the city that we have not managed to see before. One of the problems that I find with Helsinki is that it is not the easiest of cities to find your way around.

Upon our return to the ship, and after having some lunch another sitting out on the balcony in the sun was called for.

After we had set sail for Zeebrugge (did I say that we have swapped Skagen for Zeebrugge?) I looked out of the window to see that we were actually returning to port. Thinking the worst when I looked over the balcony I noticed that there was an ambulance waiting on the quayside for a medical disembarkation – a fact confirmed by the Captain later.

Tonight we ate in Sindhu which I have to say is much improved from what it was on the other ships. One point to bear in mind with Sindu is that if you book online before you sail ($10 per person less Peninsular discount) you then get 20% off your meal (again less your Peninsular discount and less the £10 booking fee) which makes the meal around the same price as it was before the dishes were individually priced.

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”