Check in procedure

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Check in procedure

Post by Whynd1 »

I was just wondering how recent cruisers have found the new check in procedure.
As I understand it now you need to upload all your details including a recent photo of yourself. Once accepted it sends you a boarding pass with a qr code. You also have to verify your credit card for them.

Although easier at check in its asking more of the passenger and you need the correct smart phone etc.

Thanks
Lindsey

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Check in procedure

Post by Ranchi »

We’ve done it a two or three times now (once as a trial before COVID & once last week.) Our boarding was very smooth last week. I know it puts more pressure on those who don’t have a smart phone but it does work well. As long as they keep enough staff available for those who require traditional processing then all should benefit by swifter embarkation. I must admit we had 27 A4 sheets ( including parking & pre & post cruise hotels en route) The only problem we had was uploading a photo of our passport. The cellophane page cover seemed to upset the phone camera focus.
I tend to use phone technology quite a bit but feel strongly that people should not be discriminated against if they don’t wish to use it. I thought it was wrong that railway e-tickets were lower priced compared to paper tickets.
Last edited by Ranchi on 29 Jun 2022, 09:37, edited 2 times in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:26
you need the correct smart phone
You don't need a smartphone for checking in - in fact it is quicker and easier to have paper copies of everything.

When we went on our b2b Britannia last month I made up a pack for each of us with all the necessary paperwork which we just handed to the guys who were doing the initial checking. Once that was done into the terminal another few quick questions then to check in desk where your photo is retaken if the uploaded one is not acceptable, or you havn't done it and then on to the ship.
Whynd1 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:26
You also have to verify your credit card for them.
In fairness this was being done pre Covid and it cuts down the checking in time.

All in all the new procedure is far better and quicker - assuming that passengers arrive around the time that they are requested to arrive.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I couldn't believe how quick the Randox system works for uploading your passport details. No sooner had I had the app scanner over the passport it scanned and loaded it all onto the app in a nano second.

So far so good.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We found check in was fairly easy, although after our uploaded photos had been accepted, these still needed to be re-taken as we boarded, because the ship system did not have access to the original photos, only those taken at check in.🤔
We did have one other issue, at the initial accessible check in desk our passport numbers did not agree with the P&O data, however after being taken to one of the priority desks they found that their system did show the current passport numbers. So it appears that the check in desks are being fed different data from the P&O website, perhaps not surprising knowing P&Os IT track record.🤔🤔🤔
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:01
I couldn't believe how quick the Randox system works for uploading your passport details. No sooner had I had the app scanner over the passport it scanned and loaded it all onto the app in a nano second.

So far so good.
One cautionary note for when you do the test, ensure that you login to the app and start the test on line, because the app has a 15 min countdown clock before you can enter the results, this presumably to allow the waiting time for the test to be completed.
John

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

towny44 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:58
We did have one other issue, at the initial accessible check in desk our passport numbers did not agree with the P&O data, however after being taken to one of the priority desks they found that their system did show the current passport numbers. So it appears that the check in desks are being fed different data from the P&O website, perhaps not surprising knowing P&Os IT track record.🤔🤔🤔
I noticed a couple of years ago that the P&O passport information (which was pre populated) didn’t match or passport numbers neither did it match expired documents. There was some discussion on one of the web pages that it may be to encourage passengers to check their data. This year one of the print off page (e-ticket ?) required our names as shown exactly as on our passport. This could not be changed. I phoned P&O and they said it was fine with the missing middle names as our full names were on P&O’s system. I did wonder why they had bothered with the requirement for exact agreement when it couldn’t be altered.
Saying that embarkation was swift…once time had been allowed for a deep clean of the ship.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:58
We found check in was fairly easy, although after our uploaded photos had been accepted, these still needed to be re-taken as we boarded, because the ship system did not have access to the original photos, only those taken at check in.🤔
I have also found this in the past John, when inputting passport details into what was then 'Cruise personaliser' only to check at a later date to find the numbers didn't match our passports. So well worth checking.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Would you believe it. I thought I would just check our passport numbers against the details in 'Booking Summery' under 'My Cruises' and yep, it showed completely different passport numbers to what I inputted fairly recently for both of us.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

It has been doing that for years. My passport new passport first used on their site in 2016 and despite entering the new number multiple times since, every time I bring up our passport details on the P&O site it has defaulted to the old passport number ... I always have to remember to set up the passenger detail properly.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Your right Ken it has been doing it for years. I just assumed P&O might have rectified it by now :lol:

Still, it's worth mentioning it so others don't get caught out.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 16:42
Your right Ken it has been doing it for years. I just assumed P&O might have rectified it by now :lol:

Still, it's worth mentioning it so others don't get caught out.
The problem is that P&O seem to store all the old data, but don't seem to have an adequate system to ensure that only the most up to date is used to check passports.
However when on the same day 2 separate check in desks access different passport numbers, then they really do need to correct that problem.
Last edited by towny44 on 29 Jun 2022, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The opportunity to check-in online opened today for our cruise, so I thought let’s get it done and dusted and off I went. Forty five minutes later and half a tree all is completed. Luggage labels also printed off, laminated and cut out. I don’t trust the plain paper option to stay in tact with all the man handling.

I wasn’t overly keen with the taking of photos. They say the camera doesn’t lie and they’re correct. The cameras on smart phones and iPads are just too good. After seeing mine I very nearly handed myself in :lol:
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Jul 2022, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 14:13
The opportunity to check-in online opened today for our cruise, so I thought let’s get it done and dusted and off I went. Forty five minutes later and half a tree all is completed. Luggage labels also printed off, laminated and cut out. I don’t trust the plain paper option to stay in tact with all the man handling.

I wasn’t overly keen with the taking of photos. They say the camera doesn’t lie and they’re correct. The cameras on smart phones and iPads are just too good. After seeing mine I very nearly handed myself in :lol:
I have never found a problem with the plain paper luggage labels, they always last for both embarkation and disembarkation.
But despite having our downloaded photos accepted and then approved at check in, as we boarded there were apparently no photos and we both had to have them retaken. Along with the passport number issues we had, this really does show that P&Os IT systems are not fit for purpose.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You must use better quality paper than me John. The stuff I use with little puppies all over it I fear just wouldn't hack it.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Several years ago I bought some plastic pouches that are designed to take the paper luggage labels and they work very well and are virtually indestructible by port and P&O crew!!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Stephen wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 14:13
Luggage labels also printed off, laminated and cut out. I don’t trust the plain paper option to stay in tact with all the man handling.
We just use 80gsm printer paper and they last surprisingly well through through both the long haul and transfer flight ... however I usually also attach another plasticised label .. just in case ... and not forgetting the details inside the suitcase.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

80gsm paper :o . Your posh Ken. I can’t afford such luxuries :D

Since I have a laminator and oodles of laminate sheets I might as well use them. :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Jul 2022, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 16:02
You must use better quality paper than me John. The stuff I use with little puppies all over it I fear just wouldn't hack it.
Probably the perforations that cause the problems.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

And the printing saying "Maldon Council Property".

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 18:11
And the printing saying "Maldon Council Property".

:shh: :)

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have the plastic pouches, excellent they are too.

Lindsey

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 11:47
I have the plastic pouches, excellent they are too.
This just popped up in my email https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0756R2 ... _705962391

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We had everything printed off and in a folder.
It was quick and seamless.
P&O did have an awful lot of staff at Mayflower on the day we sailed.
Half an hour and on Ventura.
It was probably our best and quickest ever.
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 12:45
It was probably our best and quickest ever.
I have to agree that the current check-in procedure for P&O is better than it has ever been.

Not sure if it is because there are less passengers, passengers are arriving nearer the times that they should or just that at last P&O have got their act together - or maybe a combination of all three. Let's hope that it continues this way.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”