Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Iona

Post by Whynd1 »

Hi all

If anyone had said this morning that I would be booking a cruise on Iona I would have laughed.
So by 4pm this afternoon a friend and I had booked a weeks cruise on Iona to the Christmas markets. I had always said Iona would be too big.
We started off by looking at something for late summer 2023. I had seen a post about this cruise and when I casually looked at the price and what was on offer, I thought perhaps.

Will be interesting to see what Iona has to offer.

Lindsey

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Iona

Post by oldbluefox »

Didn't like Ventura or Azura but Iona looked good so we've gone and booked Arvia.
Fingers crossed for you and fingers crossed for us 😂👍

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Likewise, we’ve booked Arvia on the back of being told how good Iona is.
The couple next to us on our last cruise raved about Iona particularly the large corner balcony cabins, so that’s what we booked.
Generally, we’ve been fans of the smaller ships but do enjoy Ventura and Azura so happy to give it a shot.
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We enjoyed QM2 which is a big ship but weren't keen at all after trying Ventura and Azura. Just didn't like them at all but Iona and Arvia look to have addressed the dislikes we had. Looking forward to it now .

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ventura and Azura are our two favourites………at the moment.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Aurora and Arcadia are ours. Funny how different ships appeal to different people...... thankfully.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Ours used to be Oceana, but now it is Brittania or Azura
Really look forward to trying Iona/Arvia though at some point

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I don't know why but I prefer Ventura over Azura until we found Britannia, which is now our favourite ship.

I think that you need to be careful on how you define "big". Yes the ships are bigger in that they have more passengers but depending on the layout they do not necessarily "feel" bigger. They are definitely taller but in most cases those additional decks are accommodation decks meaning that the public areas are more accessible

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

oldbluefox we must agree with you Aurora and Arcadia are definitely are favourites but after moaning about them building Iona last year then trying it on one of the early sails last year we must now admit Iona is now the 3rd choice for us in the p&o fleet in fact we have one cruise booked for next year on all 3 of them

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Yes Aurora and Arcadia are mine too. Don't mind Azura if it happens to be going somewhere I particularly want to go. Don't really know why but John and I didn't like Ventura. If I go back to cruising on my own it will be Aurora or Arcadia. Don't think I could cope with the larger ships. Also I think the first cruise I do on my own needs to be on a ship I'm familiar with.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

To be honest there's not really a P&O ship we seriously dislike. We still love Aurora, which was our second cruise ship after Oriana. Never really took to Oceana. Our favourites are probably Azura and Ventura. Loved Azura ever since the Maiden. Our first experience of Ventura was a disaster. A 2 nighter to try her out when she was new and the crew really didn't seem to be bothering. Probably because the booze cruise passengers were not up to much either. But after our 28 night Caribbean trip on her she rocketed up the table.

We're looking forward to Iona in August which will be our granddaughters' first cruise. We know it will be noisy and rammed with children so we're not really expecting it to be our usual preferred experience. But we can get that on Queen Victoria next year and Aurora in 2024.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 22 Jul 2022, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Aurora and Ar adia have been my go to ships as I prefer the traditional layout with a prom deck.

It will be interesting to see how Iona operates, for a start it's all freedom dining and I've always gone for club dining.

I do like the fact that there are lots of extra places to eat on Iona. I have a friend on Arcadia at the moment and both alternative dining venus are shut.
Been sorting out travel insurance this morning as I had let my annual policy lapse in lockdown.

Lindsey

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

We love Iona simply because of all the varied places to eat - however we went when there were hardly any children on it…. don’t think I could do it in August! Looking forward to going on it again in September ( after school holidays😂😂)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes we normally avoid school holidays but our main aim this time is to take the grandchildren so no choice. I'll have to take ear plugs and valium with me!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

On Aurora on Sunday, and guess who’ll be on there as well.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:16
On Aurora on Sunday, and guess who’ll be on there as well.
Not me :cry: :cry:
Last edited by david63 on 22 Jul 2022, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

He’s a sly old …

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Not going with the wife then..🤣
Mel

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We were rather put off Ventura creaking but more so one night when there was an almighty bang and we woke up to find a 12" split in one of the upper decks and a window hanging loose. Not keen!!!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

oldbluefox wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:46
We were rather put off Ventura creaking but more so one night when there was an almighty bang and we woke up to find a 12" split in one of the upper decks and a window hanging loose. Not keen!!!
A bit of Isopon and some TCut ?
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You can't really put a sash cramp on and a bit of Polyfilla can you? How they mended that I have no Idea apart from welding a bit in to fill the gap. There was much head scratching the next morning.
I went and parked myself at the end which had least chance of sinking 😂😂

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 08:44
I don't know why but I prefer Ventura over Azura until we found Britannia, which is now our favourite ship.

I think that you need to be careful on how you define "big". Yes the ships are bigger in that they have more passengers but depending on the layout they do not necessarily "feel" bigger. They are definitely taller but in most cases those additional decks are accommodation decks meaning that the public areas are more accessible
We prefer Ventura to Azura mainly because we like the Ramblas style decor and seating in the glass house. Makes it seem far more cosy and intimate versus Azuras sterile and clinical look.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

screwy wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:31
Not going with the wife then..🤣
I should be so lucky :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

You didn't say whose wife.......

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:46
Funny you should mention Ventura and creaking Foxy.

We very recently booked a Ventura cruise for 2024 and without realising it we had booked the exact same cabin number as in 2019. I only found this out when I happened to come across some old cabin cards I'd kept, and on this particular one it had Ventura - cabin number ****, with 'not a good cabin' which I had written on it for future reference. Thinking about it I thought yes, this was a very creaky cabin which maintenance couldn't fix at the time.

Whether it has been rectified since then, who knows, but not taking any chances I phoned our travel agent this morning and moved nine cabins away, :thumbup: FOC.
Last edited by Stephen on 22 Jul 2022, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”