Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all.
Found this in my inbox this morning, so some lovely cruise reports to look forward to from Sue and Garry in the coming weeks.

Thursday /Friday 6 August 2022

A hectic morning getting the house sorted and car packed with our vast amount of luggage for the 6 weeks away and 2 completely different cruises,  but after a fairly quiet and uneventful journey down to Southampton 5 hours after leaving home we were checked in and settled in our hotel room for the overnight stay. I opened the wine and finally relaxed. The holiday had begun.

West Quay cars was booked for 11 am but didn’t arrive until 11:30 am . I telephoned them to be told it was very busy and our taxi hadn’t been despatched. I wasn’t impressed as another of their cars had arrived at 11am but it was for another booking.  I need to look at other taxi options in Southampton. In the past they were always very reliable but in June we had an issue with one of their drivers who took us to the wrong area of the port and insisted he was correct. 

There was a long queue at the terminal as check in hadn’t opened but it soon started moving and there were lots of desks open. Not as many checks as in the past just the basic questions regarding health, insurance and showing Covid passes, passports etc. plus asking if we had done a lateral flow test.

We then had a short wait in the priority area before being called to board. We were greeted by Gordon the Hotel General Manager who had also only recently boarded after leave.  We went straight to the muster station then to the cabin to drop off hand luggage.  Aurora looked vey clean, newly painted and new carpets. 

Next stop was the Alexander restaurant for the priority lunch.  Due to Covid restrictions being lowered this is now back to being a buffet lunch. I much prefer the served meal that we had last time on Aurora and more recently on Ventura but the buffet option means less waiters required so more could get shore leave. Asda would have been heaving as 3 weeks in Norway and Iceland would be very expensive for the crew to get their shopping.  

We had a few officers visit our table during lunch to welcome us back on board some who were still on board from the first cruise on Aurora at the end of February. 

We managed to book the speciality restaurants The Beach House and Sindhu on the my P & O app. The Glass House is only open for drinks there won’t be any Food served in there for the duration of the cruise. Disappointing but at least the other two speciality restaurants are open. 

After lunch and a few glasses of bubbles and wine we returned to the cabin to unpack but only 1 piece of luggage had arrived.  After sorting that, I visited reception to ask which nights were celebration / formal nights and they were obviously anticipating the question as the cruise personaliser hadn’t been updated with the information. The information was already printed out and ready to hand out.  

Chores completed we went outside to sit in the glorious Southampton sunshine and watched the sailaway. The Captain is Simon Love who was also Captain of Aurora on our last cruise on this ship in February/March.

The remaining luggage was very late arriving and it was after 5 p.m. before we had received it all. Agnel our cabin steward and Agnelo the housekeeping manager were helping out and found all our luggage. We managed to unpack and change for dinner in record time.

We booked 1 st sitting dinner and a table for two for this cruise and our waiters are Naik and Clinton. After reading reports from Arcadia and the long wait for food we were pleasantly surprised that the service was perfect. Not rushed but very efficient. The diet waiter came to introduce himself and left us tomorrows menus which is the first formal night. 

We decided against going into the theatre as we are both still very wary after catching Covid on our last cruise. If there is something new in the theatre that is a must see then we may go but we are happy just enjoying the outside decks whilst it is still warm enough to do so. 

We did call into the Glass House to purchase a few bottles of Jam Shed Shiraz. 

Saturday, 6 August 2022 - Sea Day to Kirkwall

A lovely sunny day as we sailed up the East Coast of the UK.

Lots of passengers using the sun beds and some even braved the pool which according to the temperature gauge was heated to 24 degrees.  One lady came out blue tinged and said no way was it that temperature.  

I had arranged a Facebook meet up at the Terrace bar and around 30 people arrived to chat and introduce themselves. It was great to put faces to names but will be a challenge to remember them all. 

The Captain did the noon announcement and we noticed the speaker system has been renewed since the Caribbean cruise earlier in the year as we could actually hear what he was saying. It will be Auroras maiden call into Kirkwall and there will be a ceremony and plaque exchange tomorrow.  Getting into Kirkwall will be a challenge due to a 12 knot tidal rip.  No idea what that means but luckily I don’t need to know.

It was the first formal night and Agnel brought our bottle of champagne and glasses, room service arrived with lemon slices, strawberries dipped in chocolate and another huge bowl of fruit.

Although restrictions have been relaxed in the 4 four weeks since we last cruised there are still no cocktail Parties so we used our celebration drink vouchers in the Glass house pre dinner.  It was very quiet in there and the staff are looking forward to the stores arriving when it will be the hub of the ship again.  No one knows when this will be.

We took a bottle of Jam Shed Shiraz into dinner with us to go with the Marco menu of fillet steak.  It was a lovely formal night dinner and we finished with the cheese board which we shared. 

Rebecca Neale a vocalist was in the theatre and Pulse were in Carmens as usual.  We headed for Anderson’s just as it was quietening down as 2 nd sitting diners left.  

I ordered the gin flight. The waiter said he would have to check if the gins were available. He came back to say they were in stock but he couldn’t serve them as they hadn’t been added to the system yet. 

Really!  I gave up and had a cocktail instead.  

Today we have arrived in Kirkwall in the Orkneys

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Post by CaroleF »

Lovely to have a report to look forward to. I'd really like to get back on Aurora in the not too distant future. Many happy memories.

Carole

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Lovely,lovely...................... weeks of superb reporting from Sue and Garry!!

Have a great time.

All best wishes

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Like others we have fond memories of Aurora including a mid-ships suite to celebrate our 50th.

As for Kirkwall we have ' seen it ' several times on the telly but haven't actually sailed there so will be interested in your thoughts on the place, well, all the destination in truth.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Agree it’s lovely to read another of Sue’s reports.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all,here is todays cruise report.

dull, dismal dark day greeted us and when we went outside to check if we had a phone signal it was wet and windy and cold, but there were signs that it may improve.

The deputy captains announcement was for temperatures of 14 degrees.

We wrapped up like it was the North Pole but we were amazed to see other passengers setting off for tours in shorts & T shirts.
We had decided against a tour as having called here a few years ago we had visited the popular sights.

We got on the first shuttle bus into town and headed towards the supermarket to stock up on cabin essentials. There was a Lidl and a Tesco and many other passengers with the same idea.
Loaded up we returned to the ship to drop off our booty.
A bit of an issue at security on ship when I was asked if I had a knife in my bag. I hadn’t but my bag went through again and still he was adamant I had a knife squirrelled away in my bag. I emptied it out and it was my Swarovski pen I had purchased on Iona. It must have looked like a knife on the X-ray. It is good that they are so attentive as it must be a pretty boring job sat there all day looking at the screen.

By this time the queue for the shuttle on the quayside was huge as many crew were allowed off and they also wanted the supermarkets to get their essentials before we reach Iceland and Norway.

Other than the supermarkets there wasn’t much else open in Kirkwall.
St Magnus Cathedral had a church service and many passengers were heading there.
There was a vintage car rally where the shuttle bus was stopping for anyone interested in going there but it was very bleak and cold so I doubt they got many takers.

We wandered around the quaint town which although small is the largest town in the Orkneys and founded approx 1000 years ago.

I was very cold so we headed for the Kirkwall Hotel for lunch to get warm and sample the local food. Fish soup and a chicken and Haggis wrap which looked like it would serve two or more people. The waiter saw my face and said we don’t do snack sized food in the Orkneys.  It was all delicious and a great find.

We now have two sea days before we reach our first port in Iceland.
Captain announced that the second of the sea days is likely to become quite choppy so get our sea legs tomorrow in readiness for it.
I have the tablets ready.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

A further update for us all to enjoy.

Monday & Tuesday 8/ 9 August

- Sea Days to Grundarfjordur Iceland

Monday - very cold misty morning. Garry had a walk around the prom deck before we went to the dining room for a light breakfast as it is the Peninsular club Ligurian luncheon today at midday.

At breakfast Tony the restaurant manager advised us of a table change for dinner. Where we were was quite cramped with a large table of singles to one side and the busy work station to the other side. We had noticed that a table by a window was unoccupied and had enquired about changing but it is a table for 4. Tony had already reserved this table for us for the next cruise and after making a few enquiries he has now allocated us this table for the rest of our cruise.

I had a very lazy morning before getting ready for our lunch. We had seen Richard the loyalty manager to request a table for 2. Normally we would have joined a large table but we are being very careful as we want to be able to stay on board for the next cruise. The C word has not been mentioned on this cruise and no tell tale signs so far.

We are wearing our masks around the ship but are in the minority although not alone.

There 1300 passengers on Aurora which is about 70% of capacity.

The peninsular lunch was excellent, We both opted for the sea bass, and the champagne and white wine flowed well. We changed to red wine with the cheese and slept the afternoon away.

We did make it down to dinner and then stood at the back of the show lounge to watch the headliners perform Top of the Billboards.

A great show and the headliners were brilliant.

Tuesday - as the Captain had forecast the sea swells had increased dramatically. I took a tablet during the night and another before getting out of bed. Showering was a challenge. After breakfast I went straight back to bed and didn’t move until lunch time when I took another tablet.

The afternoon was spent in bed but by dinner time I felt okay.

It was the 2nd formal night and canapés and fruit arrived as we were getting ready. The swells were still challenging and I decided against high heels.

Captain Love gave his 6 o clock update and warning us to be careful around the ship. The weather is due to calm down tomorrow for our call into Grundarfjordur which is a tender port so I certainly hope it has calmed down.

Dinner was excellent and the views of the seas spectacular. No wildlife sightings yet other than birds.

Comedian Phil Melbourne was in Carmens and a vocalist in the theatre. We stood at the back of Carmens for around 2 minutes before retreating back to the comfort of our cabin.

Tomorrow we have a tender port into Grundarfjordur.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Skipping back to the previous report I've always been slightly mystified by their twitchiness about knives. I fully understand they don't want people boarding with machetes, hunting knives, swords or flick knives. But they seem a bit over the top sometimes.

Once when we were embarking in Southampton they were concerned about a corkscrew I had in my hand luggage. I hadn't really intended to take it but it was in a kit of bits and pieces we usually take on self catering holidays. For those it's an essential emergency standby!

It is one of those that waiters use with a tiny penknife for removing the foil on the bottle. They spent ages measuring and considering the length of the blade.

I told them they were very welcome to confiscate it if they wished. I also pointed out that if I intended to go on a wild killing spree there were many more suitable weapons freely available on board, sharp steak knives for example.

In the end they decided it was okay.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A pity they’re no longer as strict about Covid coming on board. But hey ho, they know best.
Last edited by Stephen on 10 Aug 2022, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'll be a good boy and do my test properly on Friday. And wear my mask . Well I don't want to be recognised when I'm robbing people with my butter knife.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Have a great cruise Merv. Hope you come out the other end unscathed.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks Stephen. Hope you're on the mend.

I'm hoping my antique pirate sword and eye patch will keep the plague spreaders at a distance. Anyone who coughs will walk the plank.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thanks.

Yesterday wasn’t a good day. Not being one for laying in bed unless I’m at deaths door I Spent it down stairs with feet up feeling completely knackered. Feeling a bit better today so hopefully have turned the corner.

My advice and something we will try to do next year is avoid places where allot of passengers gather such as shows. If weather permitting have drinks on one of the open deck bars. But at the end of the day you’ve just got to do what you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy :thumbup:

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Wednesday, 10 August - Grundarfjordur, Iceland

Our fist sight of Iceland, mist covered the hills and mountains, I could see a waterfall and higher up snow and ice clinging to the sides of the mountain but mainly very green.
The sea was very calm and perfect for the tendering operation. The temperature was said to be 10. Degrees but I think the deputy captain missed the ‘minus’ in his announcement. It was so so cold.

We collected our tickets from the masquerades. No idea who the person was supervising this but it was possibly her first time.
We were firstly asked to do the step test and take a seat. No ticket was issued as she wanted everyone to stay in the same room. The announcement had been to collect a ticket then wait anywhere in the public lounges on the ship. She wouldn’t give any tickets out until the tender was ready. Of course by that time she had no idea who had arrived first last or anywhere inbetween. Complete madness.

The tender operation was very smooth but at the other end the slope to walk up was very steep and some passengers had a problem getting up. The first thing I noticed was the biting cold. A passenger sat next to me on the tender had a thin t shirt and shorts on while I was dressed like Nanook of the North. He was going for a run!

We wandered around and spotted a supermarket, book shop/ tourist information/ shop selling wooden hats, jumpers etc.
there was a gallery where the artist made sculptures from stone. All the houses were wooden and there was a church. It was a very small town/ village. Approx 500 inhabitants and extremely quiet.

The scenery would have been stunning except for the low lying mist.

There was a tourist bus which we caught. 10 euros each or equivalent in dollars or Icelandic money or he took credit cards. It was only a short journey but he pointed out various sights and was quite funny when he pointed out the ‘half of a mountain’
We could have got off the bus and wandered around for half an hour but as the mist hadn’t lifted to see the full mountain and it was bitterly cold, no coffee shop or bar we decided to take some photos and go straight back. The waterfall was lovely to see.

The tenders were frequent and we were back on ship in time for lunch but first I had a whisky to warm me up.

We spent a lazy afternoon catching up with messages from friends whilst keeping an eye open for the mist lifting.
It finally did as we were getting ready for dinner I could see the top of the mountain on the mast cam so quickly donned some jeans and fleece and went to the front of the ship on deck 13. Many others with the same idea. I got my photo of the mountain which is famous because of the Game of Thrones.

We had a booking in Sindhu and were lucky to get a window table. I kept looking out for sea life and thought I saw the tail of a Whale in the distance but not entirely sure. The sea was very calm.

Dinner and service was excellent as usual and it was great to see Elvis back on Aurora.

We went to the shops as I had spotted a handbag in there but didn’t like the colours they had on display. One of the staff went to the store room to see if they had other colours but to Garry’s relief they didn’t.

Tomorrow we dock in Reykjavik for an over night stay.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I have a screwdriver (from my sewing machine) in my bag -and it has been thro' more security screenings than I can remember and has NEVER been found
Meg
x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 09:43
shop selling wooden hats
I know it's a typo but it did make me smile :)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It's called a hard hat :D

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Thursday, 11 August 2022 - 1 st day in Reykjavik

A very quiet sailing overnight or I presume it was as I slept through.
Woke early as usual and managed to watch us dock in Reykjavik. I don’t know what I expected but the cruise terminal is very industrialised so not a pretty Icelandic port.

Our trip called Taste of Iceland didn’t leave until 10 am which gave me chance to catch up with emails and messages.

I layered up as I did yesterday and yes it was cold, although the wind wasn’t as biting as yesterday and there was a small amount of blue sky if you used binoculars to spot it!
A very comfy coach where seat belts were mandatory although masks were not. We kept ours on as did a few other passengers. I have no problem wearing a mask and those nice thick ones like the crew wear certainly keep your face warm and no chance of chapped lips.

We had a driver, an Icelandic guide and a tour escort who didn’t introduce himself but said if you have been in the theatre you will know who I am. No I didn’t but guessed as he wasn’t good looking enough to be a headliner he must be either the entertainment manager or one of his team.

The Icelandic guide was excellent and didn’t bombard us with ridiculous amounts of useless information. It did take my brain a while to compute his guttural English but he told us lots of information about his country, the lifestyle and the geothermal activity in the area.

Our first stop was for lunch at an Icelandic lobster restaurant. We had researched this so knew prior to booking that Icelandic lobster are actually what we would call langoustines.
We were amazed at the amount of langoustines that arrived. There were five of us at the table and at least 50 langoustines in a terracotta dish served with tiny potatoes, two different salads, fresh bread and two different sauces. It was delicious and I wish I had asked tor a doggie bag as we just couldn’t finish them all. We skipped coffee as we had spied a shop close by that we wanted a closer look at.

Garry had forgotten to bring a warm hat, scarf or gloves. These were at the top of my packing list. He purchased a Home knitted Icelandic hat at about 3 times the price he could have bought one for at home.

The next stop was the Geothermal area where we had half an hour to look at the bubbling sulphuric landscape that makes up a vast area of Iceland. Only 376,000 inhabitants of Iceland and around 30% of those live In Reykjavik and surrounding villages. I walked to the top of the walk way to take photos of the landscape. Not the prettiest landscape but amazing none the less.
Very few flowers survived the sulphuric bubbling ponds.

Our final stop was by the largest lake in Iceland with an overall area 9.1 kilometres. Again another lunar type barren landscape.

We both enjoyed the half day trip out to see what Iceland had to offer but it isn’t somewhere that I would want to live.

We are overnight here, tomorrow we are going on the shuttle into town to have a look at the city.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We walked so were able to take in the English looking gardens in the local homes plus the shops with silly prices plus of course the delightful church on the hill .... enjoy :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Friday, 12 August 2022- 2 nd day in Reykjavik

It is one week since we boarded Aurora and we saw the sun today. Still a chilly 10 degrees but such a difference with sunlight.

We caught a shuttle bus to the place where another shuttle bus picked us up to take us into the city centre. The Jewel of the Seas had just arrived, so pleased we got off early before the passengers of that ship disembarked.

It was cold but a bearable cold because the sun was shining. The shuttle took us to the Harpa which is a very modern glass concert hall. We had been given a map of the city marked with the Harpa and the Church.

Only later did I notice on the map that close by to the Harpa was a Penis museum. The mind boggles.

We walked through the park area and up to Hallgrims Church which is the tallest building in the city.
The church itself is very plain inside other than it has a magnificent organ.
We paid the 2200 IS Krona about £13 and caught the lift up the spire.
Over the age of 67 the cost is 1000 Krona and for us youngsters it was 1200 Krona.

The lift didn’t take us all the way to the top and there were a couple of flights to climb where the spectacular views across the city could be seen. 
We could see the harbour but only the aft of Aurora as the port buildings were obstructing the view.
We could see the Mountain in Grundarfjordur in the distance and without the cloud sitting on top.
There were huge bells up there and warnings that they would ring every 15 minutes. For what ever reason they missed the 10:45 ringing and as there was a funeral taking place in the church at 11:30 am we left well before the mourners arrived. We heard the 11 am ringing from outside the church.

We started the walk down through the city stopping to look at the jewellery made from the lava rock and some touristy shops. Everything was ridiculously expensive and I wasn’t tempted to buy.

We found a bar with comfy outside seating and ordered the Viking beer. It was exceptionally good and although expensive compared to other countries at £9 for 400 ml we couldn’t leave without sampling the local beer.

We caught the shuttle bus back to the shuttle bus to take us back to the ship.

Unfortunately when I picked up messages on board ship a friend had posted that she tested positive this morning and is now confined to cabin.  Apparently quite a few tested positive this morning. We had heard a rumour that Covid had found its way on board .

The Captain confirmed at his 6 p.m. broadcast that there were a few Covid cases on board and strongly advised masks to be worn around the ship and on the tenders and coaches. Cabin Stewards will provide masks if requested.

The evening entertainment was a local singer Stephen Bayliss from our home town of Preston. It is a few years since I last saw him at the Pines hotel and he had also sang at weddings we had attended.

He was performing in Carmens which is the perfect venue for his act. He was fabulous and the best entertainment we have seen on the ships. We went to the early show, Carmens wasn’t busy and we managed to find seats away from other passengers although the message appears to have got through and many more passengers were wearing masks and following social distancing. 

Tomorrow we are tendering into Ísafjördur

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning everyone, here is todays instalment of the cruise report.

Saturday, 13 August 2022 - Ísafjördur

A very picturesque sail into the anchorage for this small town. We were up early to witness it. It was cold but the sun was out. We have been so lucky with the weather as every port has been mainly dry. It is hard enough coping with the cold without being wet as well.

Our second tender port and a much more organised process than in Grundarfjordur. We walked in and were given a ticket and straight down to the tender that was waiting for us. It was actually waiting for the 1st officer to board which he did with his cup of coffee shortly after us. Brave man in his White short sleeve shirt and only 9 degrees.

It was a short tender trip and the local tourist board had set up a kiosk for information about the small town which is actually the largest town in the wild Westfjords with its thriving fishing industry.
Most of the trips on offer were for Nature lovers.

We walked into the town following our tourist map. Quaint brightly painted houses with stunning views. We stopped at the local coffee shop / bakery for a coffee to warm up and take a break from the biting cold. It was heaving with tourists, but not off the cruise, probably because it was the only place we saw open although other businesses did open up soon afterwards. We noticed the small brewery was open but didn’t call in there.
In the town square the local school children were singing and performing. A mixture of ages from very young to teenagers. We couldn’t understand a word of it but nice to see the locals out enjoying the show. It appeared to be their last day of school before the summer break. One of the teachers spoke excellent English and welcomed us tourists to their school performance.

We ate dinner in the Beach House which was menu 2 although not a great deal of difference between the two menus. Prawns to start followed by the Lava rock steak with the Jam Sed Shiraz and of course the Key Lime Sundae to finish. I am saving the sea food hanging kebab experience for the next time we eat here.

Tomorrow we dock in Akureyri.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I’m thankful to Sue and Gary for their honest appraisal and for doing this cruise so we don’t have to.
I don’t do cold at all.
I actually really dislike winter.
Summer wise, it doesn’t bother me how hot it gets and I prefer the current weather to being cold.
So, reading this excellent blog has told me that a cruise too far north is not for me.
Empty vessels .. and all that

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Sue,

Enjoying your reports on your cruise. We were supposed to go into Ísafjördur on a cruise to Iceland many years ago, but didn't make it due to fog. With the way temperatures are in the UK at the moment we would be happy with a colder temperature.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

In some ways I prefer the cold where I have more control over it.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, a nice update from Sue and Garry.

Hi all, Just two consecutive sea days without any internet.

Sunday, 14 August 2022 - Akureyri

We were up and about early to watch the early morning sail in. We had been advised that the whales, porpoises and other sea life are abundant in this fjord.

It was cold but dry and sunny with some clouds. We didn’t see anything in the time we were out there before heading to breakfast in the buffet as our trip on a boat to see the sea life was an early one.
We had a window seat but didn’t see anything.

The whale watching boat is run by Eldings and can be booked on line or through P & O. Same trip same boat same time but only few pounds less expensive than booking through P & O with a guaranteed place on the boat and the peace of mind knowing that if for any reason we didn’t get into the port our money would have been refunded.

We sailed up and down the same loch we had sailed up this morning. It was the coldest I think I have ever been. I had so many layers on I looked like the Michelin man. I did find a slightly warmer viewing spot near to where the engine was and I kept walking around the boat just in case I froze to the spot I was I was stood in. It was a three hour trip and when we reached the half way mark the boat turned round and went back down the other side of the loch. Zilch, nada, no sightings or even a glimpse of a fin, tail or blow. Some birds which the commentator and whale spotter tried to enthuse about but everyone there was there to see a whale.

We moved into the downstairs cabin near a window to get warm and have a cup of soup. We could still hear the commentator and had a good view if anything interesting popped up. It didn’t and the only whales we saw were on a video tv screen that was teasing us by showing us what we could see in the loch.

To be fair they were as disappointed as we were and offered everyone a free ticket to do the trip again within 2 years.

We headed into the town to spend the last of our Icelandic currency but very few shops were open as it was a Sunday. Some touristy shops but instead we headed for a bar and restaurant to try the local food and beer. It was delicious and the best part of the day.

The Captains 6 p.m. broadcast was a bit of a downer as Covid cases on board although still relatively few had increased and mask wearing would now be compulsory inside the ship, on tenders and on tour buses. We have been wearing ours religiously since boarding and the thick ones provided by P & O are great at keeping the cold out.

15 / 16 August - Two Sea Days to Honningsvaag.

Monday was another cold bleak misty day although occasionally the sun did try to break through.

During the morning a Certificate of Crossing the Arctic Ocean on 13 August was delivered to our cabins.

Someone on our group had asked if we would get one and I messaged the Captain to enquire. Thank you Captain Love for remembering. A nice keepsake for this voyage.

The highlight of the day was the third formal night of this cruise. The ship is very quiet as passengers heed the Captains advice to wear masks and social distance.

There are now three show times in the theatre to try to spread the passengers wanting to see the shows with the advice if you want more space go to see either the 6:45 show or 10:30 show as the 8:30 show as usual is the busiest one. Tonight it was Headliners performing their disco show Fantasy.

We opted to go to Carmens to see the tribute act to Simon and Garfunkel but it was very busy and because they serve drinks in there not many were wearing masks. As we have seen them previously we decided to give it a miss.

Tuesday although bleak dank and miserable it didn’t feel anywhere near as cold outside. Someone was using the hot tub on the aft deck.
The sun beds are lined up on the aft deck each day in anticipation that the weather will improve.

Tomorrow we will be in Honningsvag where the forecast is for a balmy 22 degrees.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”