Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Post by Stephen »

Hope you stay Covid free. We weren’t so lucky even though like you we wore face masks religiously.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Sue's group already had it I recall .... what chance of getting it again so soon I wonder ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It is starting to look a bit as if Aurora is a "plague" ship :o :o

Other ships do not appear to be reporting the same problems - perhaps it is a case of "size matters" :roll:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... else ' Age matters ' ?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Maybe the other ships are keeping it quiet!

Of course it takes a few days for a case or two to turn into a significant outbreak. So it may be the ships doing the 7 day cruises, such as Iona and Azura, manage to offload their passengers in time to enjoy it at home. There's certainly noone other than crew on Iona wearing a mask. Though I did notice one woman almost going blue in the face trying to hold her breath in the lift!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I found that we were almost a minority in wearing masks. But as the days went on more and more started wearing them. And of course once the Captain asked everyone to wear them while moving around the ship a couple of days before the end of the cruise amazingly all these different masks appeared. So I would say everyone had them but either couldn't be bothered to wear them or felt out of place if they did.

Me, could have given a monkies, not that it did me any good.

I blame the lift buttons ;)

Tested negative today, at last :thumbup: but still feel tired most of the time with an intermittent cough. :thumbdown:
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Aug 2022, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

It’s that ruddy cough.! Still got mine from the end of June albeit not as often.
Mel

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

The bloke in the cabin next to us has a dreadful cough. Just hoping it's Long Covid, Bronchitis or Emphysema, and that he didn't lie about his pre cruise LFT. But that's just me. All heart.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 11:03
It is starting to look a bit as if Aurora is a "plague" ship :o :o

the papers would have a field day - they've been calling her the 'plague ship' for ages and ages - since noro first popped up as a problem on ships
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 16:07
The bloke in the cabin next to us has a dreadful cough. Just hoping it's Long Covid, Bronchitis or Emphysema, and that he didn't lie about his pre cruise LFT. But that's just me. All heart.
Towny said nobody would conceal that they have Covid so you must be as safe as safe can be :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 16:12
Towny said nobody would conceal that they have Covid so you must be as safe as safe can be :thumbup:
I'm taking no chances. I'm keeping my wellies and souwester on.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Try wearing a condom too.!
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Get hold of some red paint and put across on his door. Just to warn others :D

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning, here is todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Wednesday, 17 August 2022 - Honningsvag

Finally the sun was out and 22 degrees was forecast. It was so nice to go outside and feel some warmth rather than the biting cold we had been enduring in Iceland.

This is the most Northern City in Europe with only the Svalbard islands between here and the North Pole.

We last visited here in 2019 on Oriana when we did a trip that included seeing the Christmas House, the reindeer and the North Cape observatory which is the most Northern point.

We were up early and on deck to witness the sail into port. We had already sailed past the North Cape but would sail back the same way in the evening.

The scenery in this area is absolutely stunning especially with the sun blazing down lifting everyone’s spirits. On the cliff sides there are barriers erected at intervals to protect the town from snow and rocks falling in the severe winter months.

It was a short walk into the small city which has been inhabited for 10,000 years and is now a thriving tourist destination.
The locals had set up some stalls selling local goods like dried reindeer meat and reindeer skins which are used to sit on to keep warm, we stopped on the way at a lovely little café with free wi fi and a patio area bathed in the morning sun. I didn’t want to move and it gave us chance to update all of our apps without using the phone data. Further into the town there was a supermarket where we stocked up our cabin supplies which were running low, more expensive than at home but not the eye watering prices that we witnessed in Iceland.

We decided to have lunch back on the ship but eat outside sat on the sundrenched aft deck and make the most of the heat from the globe in the sky. The good weather lasted until around 2 p.m. when it suddenly got chilly as the clouds started to gather and then the rain started. We headed inside and started reading up on Alta our next port of call tomorrow and another new port to us.

A day of two halves the passengers who visited the North Cape this morning had fabulous weather but those who waited for the afternoon trips got very wet and saw very little through the mist.

The Captains departure announcement included the rough timings we would sail past the North Cape. By this time the wind was quite fierce and it took some time to safely get out of the port. We watched the sailaway whilst having diner then returned to the cabin to put on thermals, hats and jackets on to go on the aft deck to watch the sail past the cape it was so wet and misty that I thought we were weren’t going to see anything but just as we got closer the mist lifted so that the lights of the observatory could be seen. We were about a mile out at sea the closest the ship could get and remain safe.

We have just docked in Alta and although sunny, temperatures are not great. Low of 9 degrees and high of 13 degrees.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

This all reminds me of our end of July visit to Akureyri some years ago when the Captain announced that we would enjoy a ' Balmy ' 8 degrees ... very nice but we didn't return.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, here is the latest cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Thursday, 18 August 2022 Alta

During the winter months Alta is known as the ‘City of the Northern Lights’

The sail in this morning was stunning as we passed the rugged mountains and forests. The sun was shining and it looked like it was going to be a clear day although still quite cool in the early morning.

We dressed in layers and caught the free shuttle into the town centre and headed for the Northern Lights Cathedral i. It is a very futuristic and was only built in 2013, constructed of Concrete with external cladding of titanium sheets inside it is just as modern as the outside. Inside the tower room there is a 7.5 meter high gilded Joseph’s ladder, the pulpit is made of brass and marble. The bronze statue took pride of place at the front and the 1800 pipe organ at the rear. It cost 50 Krone each to enter the church (approx £4.30). It is a stunning piece of architecture and well worth seeing.

On offer for another 50 Krone each was a 10 minute showing of the Northern Lights. We didn’t take them up on this offer.

Every building here is modern and pristine as the city was destroyed during the war. A large shopping centre, not many individual shops, but plenty of bars and restaurants. It was pristine, no rubbish or graffiti, fully pedestrianised and very easy to get around.

We found the local supermarket as we were on a mission for a friend who is in isolation and running out of cabin supplies.

Back on the ship the aft decks gradually filled up with passengers returning from trips and were enjoying the sunshine and views. It was the first real chance since leaving Southampton to feel the suns rays.
The ship wasn’t due to leave until 8:30 p.m.

We ate in the Beach House with the fabulous views but the outside area hadn’t been opened up as even though it was a lovely evening the temperature had dropped and probably wouldn’t have been comfortable enough to eat outside. I had the Seafood Hanging Kebab which along with the Lava Rock steak is the speciality in there. As usual it was delicious.

After dinner we went onto the aft deck to watch the evening sailaway from the picturesque port of Alta.

Next port of call is Tromso.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Talking of Northern Lights I wonder if you have managed to see them. For the past couple of nights it has been reported on our local news that the northern lights have been visible in parts of the north and in Scotland. If we can see them down here maybe it's worth keeping a lookout.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning all.
Here is todays instalment.

Friday 19, August 2022 - Tromso
There was a Shuttle bus into the city and the driver gave out lots of information and helpful advice.

The shuttle dropped off at the Raddison Blu Hotel about 100 yds to Peppe Pizza where we boarded the number 26 bus to the cable car. It should have cost 30 NOK each £2.55 approx but we only had 50 NOK notes and the bus driver didn’t have any change so he said it was free of charge. Result!

The bus dropped us right at the entrance to the cable car and the cost for this for seniors was 270 NOK each. We paid by credit card which equated to £24 each.

The cable cars run every half hour from 9 am. And we had deliberately set off early to avoid the ships tours. There was only about 15 people in our cable car and no one else was up there when we arrived.

The views were amazing of the city below. Aurora looked like a toy boat down in the harbour. The weather was kind especially as we were so high up. And the thermometer outside the café was showing 15 degrees. Positively balmy 😂. I did shed a few layers as I had expected it to be much colder.

We got the number 26 bus back down into the city and this time ensured we had the 60 NOK to pay him. The bus dropped us by the water front and after wandering around the little stalls and looking at the boats in the marina we stopped for a beer at the water front bar called Skirri.

It was a very scenic sailaway that lasted right through until 8p.m. Luckily we have a table by the window in Alexander restaurant.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all from a wet Swansea. It seems the cruise has been experiencing similar weather.
Here is todays report.

Saturday, 20 August - Leknes Lofoten Islands
This was another tender port, followed by a shuttle bus into the town or rather a fishing village.

The last time we visited here we did a trip to an Ice bar followed by an art gallery and we found a bar overlooking the fjord . We were also blessed with hot sunny weather.

This time we made the wrong decision and decided to look at what Leknes had to offer which wasn’t a lot. A ‘One Horse Town which had 3 supermarkets and a few cafés. The weather was very ‘ iffy ‘ and the clouds started getting lower and darker. We looked around the mall which housed two of the supermarkets and few shops but nothing very interesting.

We left the mall and had an excellent coffee at a little bakery shop.

We had been advised of huge white sand beaches but they must have been much further away.

With the weather closing in quickly we decided to cut and run back to the shuttle bus and was surprised at how many passengers had the same idea.

We went out on deck for a while chatting with other passengers but it wasn’t long before the rain started and we headed downstairs for a long lunch.

We spent the afternoon between being on the aft deck and inside when it rained or became too cold to sit out. Garry was watching the football the signal was intermittent along with the weather.

The ship was later leaving than planned and we were in dinner as the tenders were raised back into their positions.

Sunday, 21 August - sea day to Kristiansand

Not a great day outside. Cold and dank and a very intermittent tv signal.
4 th formal night of the cruise and many ladies wore Black & White even though there isn’t a themed Black & White night any more.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all, here is todays instalment of the cruise report.

Monday, 22 August 2022 - Not Kristiansund

We realised early morning that there was little chance of Aurora docking in Kristiansund today. The sea was rough and the wind gusting. The pilot boat arrived and after some time left again.

The Captain left it until after 7:30 am to inform everyone that unfortunately Aurora couldn’t dock because of the strong winds, he had discussed with the pilot using the tenders but it was agreed that it just wasn’t safe to do so.

The entertainment manager updated the entertainment programme with a couple of extras and the crew expecting time off today will be very disappointed.

Garry went to the laundry after breakfast to get up to date.
We have noticed that less passengers are wearing their masks as the cruise comes to an end. Covid is still prevalent on board and each day we hear of new cases.

I had a very lazy day only moving from the cabin to go for food. Garry braved the deck on occasions but I didn’t feel the need. The Captain had forecast much rougher seas at around 3:30 p.m.

Tuesday 23 August 2022 - Alesund

Not a bad day but very cool early morning. We didn’t rush off as we have been here before but before long the sun was shining and we ventured out. There is a HO HO bus here which we used last time which takes you to the top of the hill and viewing point. If can be walked up with over 400 steps and lots of passengers and crew intended to do just that.

We walked right around the harbour stopping to watch the fisherman gutting and selling his catch. The sea gulls we’re feeding on his cast off bits. He attracted quite a crowd fascinated by his knife skills.

It was such a lovely day probably the best of the cruise along with Tromso. We can count on one hand the sunny warm days we have had but we also haven’t had a lot of rain either just mist and cloud.

We stopped for coffee and got a wi fi signal to update all of the apps before returning to the ship for lunch outside on the aft deck in the sunshine with fabulous views. If only every day had been like this.

We started the evening in the Glass House with some bubbles then made our way to Sindhu for dinner. Another fabulous meal, we had been sat at a window seat but asked to be moved due to a party of 8 close by who were very noisy and expressing their views so loudly that we couldn’t hear each other. We could still hear them from the other side of the restaurant but it wasn’t as intrusive.

Tomorrow we are in Haugesund our final port on this cruise

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all further cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Haugesund, 24 August 2022.

Our final port for this cruise and weather although breezy was sunny with mild temperatures.

We hadn’t known what to expect here as we had read mixed reviews. None of the trips had appealed so we had nothing planned.

We caught the shuttle to the centre and from there walked back to the waterfront. It was gorgeous. Very picturesque, the houses on the waterside all had their own boats docked outside. Lots of restaurants bars and hotels lined the walkway. It was very clean and looked cared for. This was definitely my favourite port of call and completely different to all the other Norwegian ports and the big bonus it was sunny and warm.

The centre was completely pedestrianised with individual shops and cafés, bronze statues dotted around, the most famous being Marilyn Monroe whose father was born there, water features and a red brick church. It was lovely to walk around without the need for winter clothing.

When we returned to Aurora, Captain Love was there in the sunshine welcoming passengers back on board.

I decided to use the afternoon to colour my hair in preparation for the next cruise as it is easier to do whilst the ship is in dock rather than rocking and rolling around.
Garry helped out with the back before disappearing outside.

The aft decks of the ship filled up as passengers came back and found their spot in the sun. It almost but not quite made me forget the cold windy weather we had endured for most of the cruise.

Fifth and Final Formal Night and as passengers had not been informed pre cruise of the number of formal nights and as it was a port day many of the ladies didn’t bother and there were a lot of empty tables at dinner.

Thursday 25 August 2022 - Final Sea Day to Southampton.

This is normally a sad packing day as the cruise comes to end but as we are staying on board and the sun was shining it felt like the start of a cruise not the end. We got one of the cases out and filled it with all our winter gear. No more thermals, woolly tights, boots, gloves hats or scarves will be needed. Such a great feeling seeing my summer clothes in the wardrobe.

There are approx 40 passengers staying onboard for the next cruise and we had to go to Masquerades for our Covid test. As usual this was quick and painless unlike the hours of waiting afterwards. The medical centre only contact you if you have a positive result and if you are not in the cabin they announce your names over the tannoy system asking you to contact reception.

The dreaded bing bong went off around 2p.m. and five cabins were called out to contact reception. Such a relief that ours wasn’t one of them although as we had tested ourselves yesterday and we were all clear it would have been a shock if we were positive.

The aft decks of the ship filled up as passengers finished their packing and found their spot in the sun. It almost, but not quite made me forget the cold windy weather we had endured for most of the cruise.

It was a lovely warm evening with a fantastic sunset. We had planned to go to the theatre to see the final show but the ship is so full of coughers that we opted for drinks on the aft deck instead.

We now have 3 Sea Days before we reach Cartagena in Spain and I won’t be purchasing the internet package on board so will be in touch on Tuesday.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Glad you enjoyed Haugesund Sue, we personally found it of little interest. Like you we got the shuttle into town, walked along the quayside and back to the ship. Mind you it was a pretty miserable day with a strong wind.

I don't know where he go his information from and if it's correct but a friend of ours said there were two hundred plus on board Aurora with Covid on the cruise you just had. Personally I can well believe it.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Cruise report from the med cruise.

Friday 26 - 29 August

It was a glorious sunny day in Southampton, we went to breakfast in the dining room very early to give our lovely cabin steward Agnel a chance to get our cabin done. He is leaving today for home and very excited. He had to work until 10:30 then leave the ship, we said our goodbyes and thanked him in the usual way.

After breakfast we got chairs in the sun and caught up with emails and messages. I stayed there until it was time to go down for the Peninsular luncheon. Our friends had messaged to say there were delays on the motorway and they were about half an hour away.

We chose a table for 4 and told our waiter they were on their way. By the time they arrived their champagne was waiting for them.
We talked non stop catching up on what had happened since we last met up on Ventura in June.

We had kept the same table for the 4 of us and the same waiters Xavier and Ronnie, first sitting in the Alexander dining room.

We noticed that although the Captain had asked everyone to wear the masks provided inside the ship only about 20% had heeded his request.

After dinner our friends went to see the Headliners perform over the Horizon, we decided against it and instead sat on the aft deck with a drink. We will probably go into the theatre this cruise but only occasionally if there is something new on but are hoping to spend more time outside especially when we reach the heat of the Mediterranean.

Saturday, 27 August - 1 st Sea Day to Cartagena

Breakfast in the dining room was absolutely heaving. We never saw queues to get in on the last cruise. There are around 250 more passengers on this cruise at approximately 1550, but still not sailing at capacity . The queue was so long that they had to open the Alexander restaurant for breakfast as well.

We attended the Facebook meet up for the cruise and it was a good turn out with almost 40 passengers. I will never remember everyone’s names but will remember some faces. It was great to see Steve again who was newly out of isolation this morning.

Our Loyalty luncheon invites had arrived for Monday.
Crosswords and Newspapers are now being delivered to the cabin to help prevent the spread of Covid.

The Bob was very smooth and we sat out side in the sun but the cloud kept interfering with our plans. It was still warm enough to be outside but not particularly swimwear weather.

After dinner we decided to go to the theatre to see the comedian Lloyd Davies who was extremely funny and entertaining. We had seen him some years ago but his material was up to date. Unlike most comedians who just regurgitate their old acts.

Sunday, 28 August.

The weather was so bad I thought the Captain had forgotten we were going to the Mediterranean and had taken us back North.
Rain, wind and fog greeted us instead of the sunshine we had expected.

Hoping it would clear during the morning we went to breakfast then Garry visited the laundry as he had done his daily trek of the deck early morning and I walked 5 laps of the ship with our friends before heading to Raffles for a coffee and pastry where we managed to complete the crossword between us. They are new ones and very Americanised so quite challenging.

Around 1 p.m. the sun had finally burnt off the cloud fog and mist.
We set up on the aft deck for the afternoon. Finally I saw a whale. Garry had been chatting further up the deck and shouted to me. It was in the distance but clearly a whale.

I sat out there for a few hours until it was time to get ready for dinner, whilst Garry back to the cabin to watch the football.

It was Celebration night and a voucher for glasses of champagne had been delivered to the cabin along with a half bottle of champagne.

We used our vouchers in the Glass House before dinner but saved our bottle until later in the cruise.

1 st Formal night of the cruise and once again very busy in the restaurant and when we finished dinner the 2 nd sitting diners were queuing up to enter. I never understand the queuing to get into a restaurant where you already have your table allocated.

Monday, 29 August - final sea day to Cartagena.

We were up early and in the buffet for 7 am. Garry had already done 3/4 hour walk whilst I lolled in bed.
After a quick breakfast we got sunbeds on the aft deck and I waited for the sun rise.

It was our Peninsular lunch at noon and I wanted to make the most of the 3 hours I will get in the sun. We will find another sun bed after the lunch is finished.

The dolphins came out to play but as we are cruising due East it took a while before the sun rose high enough to reach the aft deck. I only had about 30 minutes in it before I reluctantly offered the beds to a couple still suffering in the shade.

At lunch the wine flowed well but the red wine appeared to be chilled. We all swapped to drinking the white and kept warming the red up in our hands. By the time the cheese was served it was at the right temperature. We didn’t linger as we wanted to get out on deck but when we did it had clouded over although still very warm.

We went through the straits of Gibraltar but more on the other side where we had a great view of Morocco. Gibraltar was covered in cloud.

None of us had much enthusiasm for dinner but we made the effort. The evening entertainment was one of the older shows we have seen many times previously so we left our friends to it and we went onto the aft deck for drinks. It was so hot it felt like we were in the Caribbean but as soon as the sun set it cooled very quickly.

Just arrived in Cartagena the only Spanish port of call this cruise.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Suekersh wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 08:00
I never understand the queuing to get into a restaurant where you already have your table allocated.
One reason, especially on "formal" nights is that the first sitting is late finishing. Quite often second sitting does not get in until 20:45

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We noticed that although the Captain had asked everyone to wear the masks provided inside the ship only about 20% had heeded his request.

Off load the ones refusing to comply. Peasants

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”