Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue and Garry Aurora cruise.

Post by Suekersh »

Good morning everyone, todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Tuesday, 30 August - Cartagena, Spain
After 3 sea days we finally touched land in Cartagena.
A gorgeous hot day and our only call in Spain.

Tapas lunch and Tinto Verano is top of the list today. The Roman ruins are a must see here but as we have seen them before we decided to give them miss.

After walking into town we were ‘ lucky ‘ enough to find a bar with the slowest service ever. After half an hour of not even having our order taken we had just made the decision to move on when he finally decided to come over to acknowledge us but not before going to the table next to us where they had only just sat down. Being English they told him that we had been waiting for service.

We ordered and waited another 20 minutes where again others were being served before us. It wasn’t a shipping order just a beer, coke, 2 waters and a coffee. We will remember! We spent the time doing the crossword sat in the sun so not all bad.

By the time we left there it was tapas time and we headed to our favourite bar in Cartegena El Galeon. We were horrified to find it deserted and boarded up but as we were walking away we spotted it 20 yds away where they had much more table space and a far bigger bar and kitchen. They serve Tinto Verano in pint glasses here and a large range of tapas. We ordered a mixture of Tortilla, Prawns, Russian Salad, ham with cheese and a huge plate of mixed fish. A Spanish feast my favourite food.

We stocked up our cabin supplies and purchased some chocolate for the lovely ladies in the Medina restaurant where we have been going for breakfast and lunch whilst the weather was cooler.

Back at the ship I went straight down to the aft pool for a swim. It was so refreshing.

A fabulous day and after the evening meal we left our friends as they went to the theatre to see Lloyds final show.

It was just too nice an evening to spend indoors and we sat on the aft deck drinking and chatting.

Wednesday, 31 August 2022 Sea day to Cagliari.

I was outside on the aft deck just as it was coming light. It was lovely and warm with a nice breeze. Garry went to do a few laps of the deck then had his breakfast in the buffet before doing the laundry. It’s amazing how it builds up quickly.

Some excitement around 8 a.m. as we realised the ship was changing direction. At first we thought he was avoiding a storm but soon we spotted a boat full of men which we thought were probably illegal immigrants. They were waving orange flags and life jackets waving, whistling and shouting and obviously very excited to see us as they would know that they would be rescued. Aurora had slowed down and came to a stop about 500 metres away from them.

Captain Love announced that he had reported their presence to the Spanish authorities and was awaiting further instructions. All on board are young fit and healthy young men and in no immediate danger. There were about 18 of them. Other than an orange life jacket escaping off the boat it appeared to be stalemate. The Spanish were obviously quite happy to leave them suffering as there were no further announcements from our Captain

Finally at noon the Captain announced that a rescue boat from Algiers was on its way and would be here around 2 p.m. I suspect that the boat people heard this as some started swimming towards the ship. They soon tired possibly through lack of food and water. It was all quite upsetting especially as one passenger reported that children had been seen on board. I am not sure how true that was. By 1 p.m. it was very hot and sunny at around 30 degrees and the little boat did not have any shelter. I was very concerned about the people on board the small vessel with no shelter and probably no drinkable water.

At 2 p.m. with no sign of the promised boat from Algiers another of the migrants started swimming towards the ship and this time discarded his life jacket to enable him to swim faster. The ships rescue boat went out to help him and brought him back to the ship. The ships rescue boat then made the journey numerous times bringing the migrants over four at a time.

When all were safe and comfortable the Captain announced that the boat from Algiers was on its way, the migrants were being cared for and given food and water. They had been at sea for 3 days with no food or water.

The migrants were transferred to the rescue boat at around 5:30 p.m. and Aurora set off for Cagliari. Amazingly after being at a standstill for around 9 hours the Captain assured everyone that we would reach Cagliari approximately only an hour later than planned and we would stay later in port.

It was the second formal night and after dinner we went to Carmens to see a recently new show by the headliners called ‘Up all Night’
It was a high energy show but the story line was quite disjointed. The Headliners as usual were excellent.

We are just docking in Cagliari - Sardinia.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Well done Captain. Common sense and some humanity prevailed :clap:

As for the restaurant where you we’re kept waiting, I would have told them where to poke it and am surprised they have any customers at all. I’ve no patience for shoddy service.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Cagliari, 1 September 2022

The Bridge team tested out the Golden Cockerel award as they sped towards Cagliari. We were due to arrive at 8 am but the Captain had anticipated being around an hour late despite our 8 hour plus delay yesterday, but by 08:30 we were entering the port area. The Golden Cockerel award resides on the fastest ship in the fleet. It was awarded to Aurora after Oriana was sold and lives in the reception area.

After breakfast we sat outside catching up on Emails, messages etc after two days without a signal it took some time.

We met our friends at 10 am and went to see how much we remembered about this city. The first thing we noticed was how far out we had docked which required a walk to the shuttle bus and a walk again from where the bus dropped off. It is an extremely hilly city and last time we were here we walked to the top for the fabulous views.
We found a bar and stopped for a drink whilst deciding a plan of action. It was around 35 degrees and we opted to go back to the terminal where we knew we could get on the city hopper.
15 euros each for an hours trip around Cagliari. The bus is open sided with a cover over for protection from the sun.

We were given earphones and the hostess ensured we could hear the audio guide. The hopper (although there is only one hop off stop) went out to the Poetto beach which we remembered visiting some years ago. It was about 15 minutes drive from the port and extremely busy, the bus continued along the salt flats where the flamingos were cooling off in the water then up the steep hills to a fabulous viewing point to see the city below. We continued to the Roman amphitheatre then onto Ancient Citadel which was the furthest point before we then started going downhill to see the Cathedral and other old buildings.
It was a lazy way to see Cagliari but we saw much more than we would have by foot.

Back at the ship I had some time in the sun in the aft deck before it was time to get ready for dinner outside at the Beach House.
We didn’t set sail immediately as the engines decided they needed a rest and sone TLC after the fast sail last night. The pilot had to leave us to take another ship out but he was soon back and the engineers had worked their magic.

It was a fabulous night in the Beach House, having the views as we were sailing away from this ancient city. We witnessed an amazing sunset at the end of the meal whilst we were having coffee.

Two sea days to relax and re charge our batteries before we reach Dubrovnik where we have a full day trip booked on a boat.

Just managed to get a signal as we passed between 2 islands.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Further cruise report from Sue and Garry.

2 Sea Days to Dubrovnik

Both days were hot and sunny and spent on the aft deck.

I was up and on deck at 0:630 as the sun rose, Garry had gone to walk around the prom deck. I was just about the first person out today but within seconds the other early risers followed.

Men are so noisy. I unfastened the rope on sun beds on the starboard side and gently and quietly lifted the beds into position. The men set up on the port side but instead of untying the sunbeds stacked there took them from starboard side and dragged them across the deck. The noise they make is like a train and the cabins along the aft must have wondered what was going on.

The sea is so calm and as we are sailing Northerly the sun was rising on the starboard side, blue sky, calm sea and a pod of dolphins following the ships wake. A perfect morning and so worth getting up early for.

I spent all day on deck only leaving the sun to walk up to the buffet for food. There was plenty of space on the decks as people retreated from the sun and into the shade.

Saturday was the third formal night and after dinner we left our friends who went to the theatre and we went straight back to the cabin to take off our glad rags and change into casual wear to sit outside drinking and chatting under the moon and stars.

Next port is Dubrovnik.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Some……..
Men are so noisy.
….or just thoughtless not realising there are cabins nearby. No doubt they put down their towels and went off bag to they’re cabins.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all from a lovely sunny morning here at Alvaston Hall. Sadly I am going back to Swansea today after a lovely catch up with a friend.
Here is today's cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Sunday, 4 September - Dubrovnik

Such a fabulous sail in with stunning scenery and an amazing Sunrise. I was out on deck just after 06:15 to watch it before going up to breakfast in the buffet at 7 a.m.

We met our friends who are not used to early mornings and disembarked the ship to then embark a smaller boat which would take us to three of the Elaphiti islands - Kalamoto, Sipan and Lopud.

It was a family run business and the everything on the boat sparkled. The tables and seats were all highly varnished and the crew and Captain very friendly.

Our first island of Kalamota was a 45 minute sail and our tour guide was informative but didn’t overload us with facts and figures. Part way we were given a local drink which she described as disgusting. This was a love it or hate it moment. It was very alcoholic and of course I loved it and drank half of Garry’s as well.
Kalamota Island was beautiful. Absolutely stunning scenery, beautiful old harbour, crystal clear water and a bar overlooking the fabulous views. There was a walk around but as we hadn’t long here decided to stop at the bar. The local beer was very tasty. On the way back we got waylaid at a little stall selling local food and drink and were the last to reboard the boat.

Our next stop was Sipan where our guide walked us to a viewing point and explained some of the history of the island. Lots of property here ‘ripe for renovation’. The guide continued the tour up a steep incline to a local church, we decided against this and instead found a bar on the waterfront. We were a little alarmed to see smoke coming from our boat but then realised they must be cooking our lunch.

We stayed in the bar until those on the tour came back intending to follow them to the boat but a call of nature ( not me) meant that once again we were the last on the boat.

On the way to the final island of Lopud we were fed the most delicious fresh fish and local salad. A full hake each, and a bottle of water and wine to share was placed on the table. Delicious local food.

Lopud is a holiday island with sandy beaches, crystal clear water, gift shops, restaurants and bars.
I stayed on the beach and swam in the sea, whilst Garry went to explore the local architecture. We had nearly 3 hours on this lovely island and of course finished in a local bar. There was another couple in there who joked that they were pleased to see us and they would leave before we did so that they were not last back to the boat.
We walked back and passed by Richard the loyalty manager who was on the tour keeping check on everything. He was happy we had made it back in good time and weren’t the last to board.
The sail back to the ship was approx 3/4 hour but sailed close to the coast for a different view. Lots of small sandy beaches and many little boats. As it was a Sunday many locals using their boats to get to the secluded beaches.

This was one of the best tours we have done. Last time we were here we did the tour called Taste if the Adriatic which was also a great tour and I would recommend either of them.

We returned to the ship just before the Captains announcement that we were departing, we missed the sailaway as we needed to shower and get ready for dinner. If the Glass House had been open we would have eaten there . We really miss the flexibility that this venue provides.

We are just docking in another beautiful Croatian town Zadar.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Todays cruise report from Sue and Garry

Monday, 5 September - Zadar

Another stunning sunny sail into Zadar, a city on Croatias Dalmatian coast. We passed many small Islands before docking at a very modern terminal where it was a 10 minute walk to the terminal building then a 20 minute shuttle bus ride into the city.

The shuttle stop was right by the Sea Organ. The waves from the sea entering pipes make the music . Very cleverly designed. A beautiful spot just to sit and gaze at the many yachts and fishing boats.

We headed into the city a slightly different way than on our previous visit and passed some Roman ruins right by a Konobo which is a small family run restaurant. It looked gorgeous with tables set up outside in the garden area.

We continued into the city and stopped by the cathedral for a drink before heading to Konobo Martinac another lovely place we had found a few years ago and wanted to take our friends to. Unfortunately it was closed so hoping it would open later we went back into the city for a wander around. We stopped at another bar with tables in what looked like a pedestrianised area but wasn’t as we found out when a huge vehicle came crawling down and I had to leave my seat so that he could get through. After this had happened a few times we paid the bill and left.
Konobo Martinac still hadn’t opened and the owner said it wasn’t opening until 5 p.m. disappointing but we made our way back to the one we had found on our way into the city.
The food was delicious but the service very slow. Luckily we weren’t in any rush and the garden was shaded and the local beer was on draft. The food when it came was excellent and well worth waiting for. The fish was all freshly caught locally. I did wonder if that was why the service was slow because they were waiting for the fisherman to come back with his catch.

We returned to the shuttle bus and back to the ship. It had been another very hot day. It is our last port in Croatia for this cruise.

We sat out after dinner under the stars watching the lights disappear.
The headliners were in the theatre performing New Romantics and Michael Appleton was in Carmens with his tribute to Michael Bublé.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all. Todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Tuesday, 6 September - Trieste

When we booked this cruise Venice was included on the itinerary but because of the problems there Trieste replaced it. It is around a 2 hour drive to Venice and the tours were due to leave at 7:30 am for a 10 1/2 day. We decided to stay in Trieste as we have visited Venice many times.

As it was a new port for us we set off early to explore and arranged to meet our friends later in the morning. Aurora docked so close to the centre that no shuttle bus was necessary.

Trieste is totally surrounded by Slovenia. It is a huge city with many fine buildings.

We first wandered down the molo which is a huge promenade going right out into the sea. The locals use it for exercise or just sitting and chatting. Aurora looked splendid in the sunshine.

We walked through the Piazza and onto the Grand Canal which was only 250 metres long but was full of small boats waiting for low tide so they could fit under the low bridges to get out to sea. The canal was lined with restaurants and bars. The architecture was stunning and every turn we made there was more to see and photograph. Every building had sculptures or other artwork and every square had a statue or water feature. We were very impressed with everything about this port of call which was so easy to get around. One of the attractions we wanted to see was the funicular but this was under renovation and we will see it next time we call here.

There is a helicopter in the centre which is actually a bar selling draft beer. Very unusual.

We met our friends and found a bar and ordered beer. This came with crisps, pieces of pizza and garlic bread. We ordered another round and more pizza and garlic bread arrived. We thought the bill would be astronomical but it wasn’t just normal prices for 8 large beers. In Venice it would have been 3 times the price.

When we we returned to the ship the Italian security was very strict. We had been told to take photo I.D out in all the ports but this was the only port we had been asked to show it. We got through okay but they were many passengers stopped and searched.

The coaches from Venice were late back and it was around 7 p.m. before Aurora set sail for Messina in Sicily.

We ate in Sindhu and it was menu 1. Another excellent meal and whilst there we booked again for later in the week when it will be menu 2 on offer. We enjoy both menus but menu 2 has fresh scallops on it.

Wednesday, 7 September - Sea day to Messina.

As usual I was out on deck early and got the beds and chairs set up for the day. It took a while for the sun to get onto the aft deck but it was warm and breezy. By 10 am we were in full sun and at approx 11 am we were covered in soot and hot metal.
It took us by surprise at first as I noticed the funnel making peculiar noises and lots of white smoke pouring out. There was a large bang followed by black soot and hot rusty metal raining down on us.
My friend was hit the worst but it was quite scary when we jumped up and put our bare feet onto bits of hot metal.
We reported it to reception but it took a while before the deck supervisor came to look at the debris and even longer before anyone came to clean it up.

For the first time since leaving Southampton Covid raised its ugly head. There had been a few bing bongs during the morning and at his noon announcement Captain Love recommended that everyone wore their masks around the ship. Numbers are low so not mandatory at this time.

Another emergency during the afternoon when we were all asked to clear the decks. We had noticed that the ship had changed course when the sun was in a different position and the light breeze suddenly changed to a gusty wind. Around 2 p.m. the Captain asked that all the decks be cleared and all passengers to go into an inside area as a helicopter would be arriving shortly.
It was around 3 p.m. before the outside decks opened up again.

We met our friends for pre dinner drinks then left them after dinner as they wanted to see the Michael Bubblé tribute act. We took up our usual evening spot on the aft deck for drinks under the stars.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all here is todays ruise report from Sue and Garry.

Thursday, 8 September - Messina, Sicily 

This is not one of our favourite ports but have called here many times.

The biggest local attraction is the Astronomical Clock which performs daily at noon.

Taormina and Mount Etna are tours that we have done in the past but we didn’t want to repeat them.

We got off the ship at 10 am and wandered around the streets but nothing had changed. It was lovely and hot so we stopped for an ice cream which was delicious then went on to the square to find a bar to while away some time before noon.  

As noon approached the square got busier and we went to find a viewing point . The Lion roared 3 times and the Cock crowed three times then the figures took their turn in moving around. It all lasts for about 10 minutes.

We decided it was too hot to walk around anymore so booked tickets on the scenic hop on hop off bus. It was quite interesting seeing the different areas and some of the architecture.  Some hairy moments as we wondered how the bus was going to negotiate the narrow windy roads and heavy traffic.  

Lots of the apartment buildings looked like slums with fabulous views but then further on there were some new apartment buildings and hotels and what looked like a very interesting botanical garden. Worth seeing if we visit here again.  We saw the Marble fountain decorated with mythological figures and the Neptune fountain topped by a statue of a sea god. The bus stopped at the highest point and gave us 10 minutes to look around. We could see right across to the straits which separates Messina from mainland Italy. Looking down I could see Aurora in the port.

It was at this time that the messages started to come through regarding the Queens serious illness and that the family were gathering at Balmoral.  

The final stop was in the shopping area and we could have disembarked there but as it was siesta time we couldn’t see anything open so continued back to the pick up point in the square.

We went straight back to the ship and spent the rest of the afternoon on deck. 

A letter was delivered to every cabin about the increased Covid cases and asking everyone to wear masks, wash hands regularly and use the sanitiser provided. Of course some didn’t think it applied to them but the majority were wearing them.

We had booked dinner in the Beach House and during dinner the Captain announced the sad news that the Queen had died. Although we had all expected to get this news it was still a shock. 

We left our friends after dinner as they wanted to see the Headliners show Top of the Bill Boards in Carmens but with the Covid increase we decided to take up our usual spot on the aft deck. 

Friday 9 September First Sea Day to Gibraltar.

Just like every other sea day I was up early to see the sun rise. We are now sailing Westerly so the sun rose on the back of the aft of the ship.  It was a little cloudy and some wind but still very warm. 

Overnight a new Horizon had been produced and there were some changes to the programme due to the Queens death.  All the films in the theatre had been cancelled so that the BBC 1 news could be watched all day in there and in Champions.

The ship has also set up books of condolence in Charlie’s and in the Crows Nest. 

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Keel haul them. Then walk the plank.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all, got home yesterday afternoon. Overall two great cruises both very different. The Iceland one was definitely not my sort of cruise but the box is now ticked. The Med cruise was mainly hot and sunny until we left Gibraltar when the weather going past Portugal, Spain and France was cool and windy with sea swells.

Many thanks Lyndsey for posting my ramblings and here is the final one.

Sunday, 11 September - Gibraltar

Another lovely sunny day once the sun had early morning mist off. Around 24 degrees so less than we have been used to but perfect for wandering around the town. It was only a half day call so we got off just after 9am to make the most of it. We knew as it was a Sunday many shops would be closed but we were surprised by how many were open.

Yesterday it should have been a special day in Gibraltar but this was cancelled due to the Queens death. However as the square was set up for it to be broadcast, instead they broadcast the proclamation of King Charles 3rd live. We had considered to go and watch it in the Convent area but decided it would be a tight dash to get back to the ship in time with all the crowds. Instead we found a table with a view of the screen and watched it in comfort with a beer.

Back on ship I was surprised that the sun beds in my favourite area were still free so set up there for the afternoon.
Sailaway was at 13:30 but nothing like our past sailaways from Gibraltar. No flags, no music, no dancing. There may have been something at the other pools but I much prefer the aft deck.

We made the most of the sunny afternoon as it may well be our last one as tomorrow we will be in the Atlantic and the forecast is not great.

Monday 12 September and Tuesday 13 th - Sea days back to Southampton.

As I suspected we would we woke to gloomy skies. Not cold but not pleasant either. We decided to start the packing but the ship was moving around so we only did a case and bag before giving up.

We had a look around the shops and ordered some alcohol to collect tomorrow.

It was the final formal night of the cruise and we met our friends on the Glass house for a glass of bubbles before dinner.

The weather was disappointing after such a fabulous hot sunny day in Gibraltar and too cold for our usual nightcap sat outside.

Tuesday morning and our final day. The weather wasn’t any better but at least the seas had calmed. We finished the packing before meeting our friends for lunch then sat outside in the sun chatting for a while. It wasn’t hot enough for swimwear but pleasant enough.

It has been an eventful cruise but we have both enjoyed it. Covid is still impacting on life on board with shortages of both crew and some supplies. I think this is going to be a long term issue and is something we have to accept or stop cruising. Although we would prefer it to go back to how it used to be, we are happy to accept the new ‘norm’ to continue cruising but hope that eventually some of the traditions of cruising will return but not everything is Covid related.

Thank you to all those who have read my reports and commented.
Our next Cruise is to the Caribbean on Aurora in November.

Ilovemygarden
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Ilovemygarden »

Thanks Sue - as usual I have enjoyed sailing along with you. Roll on November!

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Love reading your reports sue and Garry - we are on Iona Saturday so fingers crossed things are a bit better than last time - just out of interest why do you think supplies are in short stock?

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Very good report, I enjoyed the read, taking us back to ports we had been to. Thank you.
Don't worry, be happy

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Somewhat belatedly Sue.......Thank you for your usual excellent reports. They are so enjoyable. Like the others I look forward to joining (virtually of course!) you in November to the Caribbean. I am assuming this cruise will take you into the Festive season.

Best regards

Maureen

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”