can any one tell me if we need tests done for covid

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

can any one tell me if we need tests done for covid

Post by poole boy »

as we are sailing on Arcadia on thursday can any one please tell me if we need to get tests done for covid with proof to show them before boarding

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: can any one tell me if we need tests done for covid

Post by david63 »

The current information on P&O's website is
Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will no longer need to provide a test certificate, however, they will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing.
https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-c ... -you-board

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I believe that you declare to be covid free.
They ask you to do a lft the day before sailing and if clear, you’re ok to go.
It’s on trust.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No proof required (unfortunately). You will be asked at the port if you took a lateral flow/antigen test and that it was negative.

You can use an NHS test kit if you have one saving you having to purchase a kit.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

bit like when we used to be asked if we'd had noro symptoms.... Who would say "Oh yes, I've been up all night with the galloping what-have-yous" ?

A pointless exercise
Meg
x

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Meg 50 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 19:54
bit like when we used to be asked if we'd had noro symptoms.... Who would say "Oh yes, I've been up all night with the galloping what-have-yous" ?

A pointless exercise
A quick question Meg, will you take a test and answer honestly before cruising, I know I will, so if your answer is yes, then perhaps its not really pointless after all.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A tick for Towny but I reckon the vast majority would lie about it rather than miss out on their Cruise and especially so if their Travel Insurance doesn't include cancellation for Covid.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 07:16
A tick for Towny but I reckon the vast majority would lie about it rather than miss out on their Cruise and especially so if their Travel Insurance doesn't include cancellation for Covid.
But you dont need insurance cover, as long as P&O ontinue yp give you a FCC.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I can confirm it was a verbal confirmation at the terminal on Saturday.

I think it's just as good as the previous paid and uploaded test which was unsupervised and completely cheatablr if you chose. I'm not sure why anyone would lie. If you are positive you and all your companions get FCC. So why go and risk cabin confinement for the cruise? If I had Covid I'd rather be home in my own bed.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 08:45
So if you phone the day before and explain one of you has Covid and cannot therefore board P&O will say " Ok, no problem, we will give you a full refund in the shape of a FCC. That being the case it's impressive.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:51
I can confirm it was a verbal confirmation at the terminal on Saturday.

I think it's just as good as the previous paid and uploaded test which was unsupervised and completely cheatablr if you chose. I'm not sure why anyone would lie. If you are positive you and all your companions get FCC. So why go and risk cabin confinement for the cruise? If I had Covid I'd rather be home in my own bed.
Me too Merv but unfortunately there are those that aren’t as considerate as us and would rather keep quiet and hope for the best and think s*d it if I pass it onto someone else. And it only takes one selfish git.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:58
towny44 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 08:45
So if you phone the day before and explain one of you has Covid and cannot therefore board P&O will say " Ok, no problem, we will give you a full refund in the shape of a FCC. That being the case it's impressive.
AFAIK that has been the case from the restart of cruising, and is still in place.
John

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

towny44 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 22:51

A pointless exercise
A quick question Meg, will you take a test and answer honestly before cruising, I know I will, so if your answer is yes, then perhaps its not really pointless after all.
I would - like Merv, I'd rather be poorly at home. But as Moby says - there's plenty of selfish ones who won't.

I suppose the question makes people stop and think , but I'm not sure it will deter those who are determined to go come what may
Meg
x

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We both had covid rather mildly when compared to others, but I'm 100% sure that we wouldn't have wanted to go on holiday with it.
I think this system leaves it open for people to declare a negative test without actually taking one at all.
I'd like to think that nobody would actually travel with a covid confirmation.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Meg 50 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 11:51
towny44 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 22:51

A pointless exercise
I would - like Merv, I'd rather be poorly at home. But as Moby says - there's plenty of selfish ones who won't.

I suppose the question makes people stop and think , but I'm not sure it will deter those who are determined to go come what may
Too true, but I hope those would be only a minor percentage.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:18
but I hope those would be only a minor percentage
But, at the end of the day, you only need one person, but that is no different than one person with any other transmittable ailment being on board and they don't even ask about any of them other that Norovirus

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Many thanks for all the helpful replies after reading them this morning we have cancelled our covid tests at chemist and wife went to boots in poole this morning and bought a box of flowflex self testing kits 5 for £9.80 we will use these in the morning and be able to answer the question honestly
and at least we will have peace of mind that we are doing it correctly.
can't wait to get on Arcadia on thursday now and start the cruise up through the fjords and Loften islands and up to Tromso. :thumbup:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

poole boy wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 15:49
Many thanks for all the helpful replies after reading them this morning we have cancelled our covid tests at chemist and wife went to boots in poole this morning and bought a box of flowflex self testing kits 5 for £9.80 we will use these in the morning and be able to answer the question honestly
can't wait to get on Arcadia on thursday now and start the cruise up through the fjords and Loften islands and up to Tromso. :thumbup:
Top man 👍
Have a great holiday and please try and do a short review on your return.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

poole boy wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 15:49
We used the Boots ones too. Very straightforward. And check in was very efficient.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”