Black & White night.

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Black & White night.

Post by Ranchi »

Just reading Sue & Garry’s notes from Aurora and they mention that there is no black & white night on their cruise. Is this true of most sailings? We board fairly soon & Mrs R has the dresses out and hanging up ready for selection. Her black and white dress is in the ‘acceptable but not a favourite ‘ category. Advice welcome.
Last edited by Ranchi on 23 Aug 2022, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Black & White night.

Post by david63 »

Currently (due to Covid protocols!) there are no theme nights on any ship

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Pandering to the casual apparel. There were no B&W nights on the six weeks we were on Azura, calling that night an ordinary Formal Night. How ever, Mrs B and myself stepped out fully attired for the traditional last formal night dressed for B&W night. Not bothered by those who may have had thoughts of, who do they think they are, lord and Lady muck. Water off a ducks back.
Never be frightened to dress up. Dressing down seems to be the easiest way to go.
Nothing wrong in taking pride in your appearance.
I feel sure The Monocled Mutineer would agree.
Don't worry, be happy

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

On my recent 10 days trip I discovered just before closing my case that “celebration night” was in fact a formal night. We had a further two black tie nights and I was impressed with how many dressed appropriately - lovely to see people making an effort although as you can imagine there were exceptions :roll:
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The celebration night on Iona was well.observed.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We also had 1x celebration night and 2x formal nights in the ten night cruise.
No black and white although I wear a black dinner suit with white shirt so I suppose I complied either way 😂
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Many thanks for your prompt replies. I think Mrs R will be happy to leave the black & white at home- she has plenty of other fancy frocks so we won’t let the side down! She really doesn’t like wearing black.I of course love formal nights as I don’t have to agonise over choice of apparel.
…& Ray, I smiled to see the Monocled Mutineer mentioned. We’ve sailed a few times with him. He was always a sight to be behold resplendent in boater or panama and heliotrope & Or striped blazer sipping champagne on Canberra prom deck as the band played & the streamers flew.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Ray B wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 08:31
Pandering to the casual apparel. There were no B&W nights on the six weeks we were on Azura, calling that night an ordinary Formal Night.
I thought the nights labelled as 'formal' had a reasonable turn out (I would guess about 60% formal) ... possibly as the week went on it was being less well 'attended' (maybe 30-40% formal on the last formal night). The Horizon and Beach Hut were certainly very busy on formal nights with most people casual, but some formally dressed.
How ever, Mrs B and myself stepped out fully attired for the traditional last formal night dressed for B&W night. Not bothered by those who may have had thoughts of, who do they think they are, lord and Lady muck. Water off a ducks back.
Never be frightened to dress up. Dressing down seems to be the easiest way to go.
Nothing wrong in taking pride in your appearance.
Good for you and I agree totally ... but conversely there is no need for anyone to look down on people who choose not to participate in formal night ... been there, done the dressing up, and don't feel the need to do it again ... but that may change. I was surprised by the number of people that saw us in casuals in the show lounge and asked if it was OK to change (which is why I carry a copy of the P&O FAQ about formal attire and where it applies) ... of course it is (you aren't prisoners).
I feel sure The Monocled Mutineer would agree.
Indeed he always seemed to set and observe a very high standard ... and was a very good judge of character. :)
Last edited by Kendhni on 23 Aug 2022, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Even if he referred to those who disagreed with him on standards as the "underclass", which I found offensive.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

TMM is not the Topic. Subsequent posts will be deleted on the basis that he is not here to defend himself should the need arise.

Regards MobyModPlod
Last edited by Manoverboard on 23 Aug 2022, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”