ESTA for US

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

ESTA for US

Post by Kendhni »

Just a word of warning.

In Jan 2021 Trump declared Cuba a 'State Sponsor of Terrorism". As per ESTA website this means that if you have visited Cuba you cannot travel, to the US, on an ESTA.

Currently I am checking if I can use my alternative passport to apply; invalidate my British passport and get a new one (removing the Cuba stamp); or apply for a US Visa (but I have heard the waiting lists can be up to 5 months long in some parts of England).
Last edited by Kendhni on 22 Sep 2022, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: ESTA for US

Post by Kendhni »

Issue solved.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

and the resolution was ?

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

In my case I can use my other passport.
I still have one question outstanding with the consul asking does it apply retrospectively (i.e. if visit was prior to 12/01/2021 can you still use an ESTA). While not remaining hopeful there is an ambiguity there.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

An ESTA lasts for 12 months ... just saying.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 16:09
An ESTA lasts 2 yrs.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

towny44 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 18:02
An ESTA lasts 2 yrs.
That is correct ... unfortunately mine ran out at the start of 2021.

An update. If you have been to Cuba in the last 11 years then you cannot travel to the US using an ESTA. A visa is in the region of £130-140.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

An ESTA lasts 2 yrs.
Ours were for one year and I had no idea it was now two years ... thanks for that :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 08:41
An ESTA lasts 2 yrs.
Ours were for one year and I had no idea it was now two years ... thanks for that :thumbup:
I think it has always been 2 years, we had to have one just after they were introduced and that was at least 2 year validity.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The lesson is don't go to Cuba or be prepared to pay for a visa.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Kendhni wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 21:47
An update. If you have been to Cuba in the last 11 years then you cannot travel to the US using an ESTA. A visa is in the region of £130-140.
It appears that update was incorrect. The 11 years applies to other countries, the latest info I have found is that travel to Cuba only counts after 12/01/2021 (i.e. it is not retrospective). https://e-visa.co.uk/usa/requirements

Still waiting for an answer from the consulate ... but we are talking of the civil service here so such a complex question will probably require multiple people multiple duvet days to resolve ... so may get an answer this side of Christmas 2028.
Last edited by Kendhni on 27 Sep 2022, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

There is an article in the Telegraph about this today.

Lindsey

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

The consulate finally got back to me with a typical civil service style answer telling me to review the link I had included and quoted from ... but the gem was when they said "we cannot confirm at this time that travel to Cuba before January 12, 2021 will not affect your eligibility to travel visa free using an ESTA". Took me several goes to understand that .. basically the US Consulate in the UK is saying they don't know.
Last edited by Kendhni on 04 Oct 2022, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

AArrrggghhhh typical government paper pushers

04/10 In trying to resolve this, I sent another query off as directed by the consulate
18/10 I got a response back saying
Thank you for contacting [us].
We apologize for not responding to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Please reply to this message if you still need assistance with your ESTA inquiry.
Thank you again for contacting [us].
18/10 I replied to the above saying I am still looking for an answer and copied in the question again
23/10 I get a response back saying
Thank you for contacting [us]. This email indicates that your inquiry is now considered closed. If you have further questions or would like to reopen the inquiry, please respond to the response we sent 5 days ago.
23/10 so I have responded with my query again

Obviously just a box ticker, rather than a customer service agent.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Your lucky your able to reply Ken. A lot of the time with corporate emails they use a ‘no reply’ address which really annoys me.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ken, I just spotted this post over on CC which I hope helps to clarify the ESTA position for Cuba visits.

I can give an update on this as I received an email from our agent on Friday regards our Canada/US cruise on Aurora next September, which contained the following section:-
"Further to my previous email about applying for a USA ESTA, we have discovered that the dates initially published are incorrect and we therefore passed on inaccurate information I am afraid.

I have today finally had the correct information confirmed by the US State Department, who have confirmed that guests who have previously travelled to Cuba on or after the 12th January 2021 (and not 2011 as previously advised), will no longer be eligible for the ESTA Visa Waiver Programme and will need to apply for a US visa"
John

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Thanks, I had seen that one on CC ... it ties in with information on the French US consulate.
Last edited by Kendhni on 23 Oct 2022, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I have just received the following response, from the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), in answer to the question of whether or not those that travelled before 12/01/2021 can still use a visa.

"The United States Department of State most recently designated Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism on January 12, 2021. If a traveler is found to have visited a country designated as State Sponsor of Terrorism, the traveler is no longer eligible to participate in the Visa Waiver Program and must apply for a visa to enter the United States."

Which contradicts the US State department. Sounds like the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing (typical civil service, same all around the world). I am going to forward them on the response towny posted and see what they have to say.

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

First sentence above should have ended with 'ESTA' not 'visa'

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”