Majestic Princess - 800 COVID passengers

Any general cruise line chat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Majestic Princess - 800 COVID passengers

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

You don't realise how serious man flu can be....

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Gill W wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 16:23
As they had tested positive for Covid, at the end of the cruise they all had to wait until all the other passengers left, and then the Covid group left the ship. Therefore, they were able to see all the Covid sufferers together in the queues to leave the ship and made their estimates from what they actually saw.
But half of those would have been travelling companions (who may or may not have been tested as positive) of those who had tested positive so the "many" hundreds would come down to, probably at most a hundred or so.

I fully accept that Covid has not gone away, and probably will not in my lifetime, but when hospitals start relaxing the precautions (no masks, no social distancing, visiting allowed, accompanied outpatient appointments etc.) then I consider that life is a lot safer and I do not need to worry over much about Covid and I can get on with living my life.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 18:48
I fully accept that Covid has not gone away, and probably will not in my lifetime, but when hospitals start relaxing the precautions (no masks, no social distancing, visiting allowed, accompanied outpatient appointments etc.) then I consider that life is a lot safer and I do not need to worry over much about Covid and I can get on with living my life.
Either or Mobietta and I have both attended our GP Surgery plus two different and unrelated Hospitals in the past two weeks and would mention that we plus all other patients and the NHS staff that we saw were all wearing masks. The waiting areas were all screened between the seats per person and appointment times were strictly observed which of course prevented overcrowding.

This being the case it is obvious that it is not safe for everybody to get on with living their life but rah rah rah of course to those who can or think they can.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 09:37
we plus all other patients and the NHS staff that we saw were all wearing masks. The waiting areas were all screened between the seats per person
Obviously different hospitals have differing approaches - I can only go off what is happening at my local hospital. GPs are a totally different matter (in more ways than one!)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Yes I think that in health settings there are by definition more vulnerable people so it makes sense to take precautions there for their sake.

In the end we all have to make decisions for ourselves. We might avoid cruises, theatres, restaurants to protect ourselves but I caught it hugging my daughter, who didn't know she was infected at the time, and I'm not giving that up.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 09:44
Yes I think that in health settings there are by definition more vulnerable people so it makes sense to take precautions there for their sake.

In the end we all have to make decisions for ourselves. We might avoid cruises, theatres, restaurants to protect ourselves but I caught it hugging my daughter, who didn't know she was infected at the time, and I'm not giving that up.
This is the approach I'm taking.

There might be situations where I would take more care, such as crowded areas, but most of our life is not in crowded areas, so on a day to day basis we don't have to think too much about it.

I would expect medical settings to have a mask requirement, and that was the case when I had my flu and Covid jab. Even if there was no requirement, it would be one of the settings where I would exercise more caution on a voluntary basis.

My approach hasn't really changed. I will try to avoid getting Covid, and if I get it, I'll try to avoid getting it again. We don't yet really know the long term effects of multiple Covid infections, so it seems sensible to try to keep our infections to a minimum, whilst still enjoying the things we like to do.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I think that's a sensible approach. Whilst Covid is still out there we should not allow it to dominate our lives, especially since we have had our jabs and boosters so take precautions and get on with it. Nothing is guaranteed but at least you do what you can to minimise the risk.

I hope Merv is feeling better now.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Things must be different in Yorshire, we are now operating our daily lives exactly as we did pre covid, and the vast majority seem to be doing the same. We went to the White Rose Centre in Leeds on Monday and only saw 2 people wearing masks, and that is the standard for most other places. However the staff in Specsavers were wearing masks yesterday, but customers were not required to wear them.
Si far, I think, we have avoided getting covid, whether we would change our attitude if we did might depend on whether we get mild or severe symptoms, but overall we are now back to normality.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A ' Normal ' Yorkshireman ... come off it :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

towny44 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:49
Things must be different in Yorshire, we are now operating our daily lives exactly as we did pre covid, and the vast majority seem to be doing the same. We went to the White Rose Centre in Leeds on Monday and only saw 2 people wearing masks, and that is the standard for most other places. However the staff in Specsavers were wearing masks yesterday, but customers were not required to wear them.
Si far, I think, we have avoided getting covid, whether we would change our attitude if we did might depend on whether we get mild or severe symptoms, but overall we are now back to normality.
just because you can't see masks, it doesn't necessarily mean that people are operating their daily lives exactly as they did pre-Covid.

I make an evaluation, but nobody can see me doing it.

For a weekday excursion to a large shopping centre, with high ceilings where I know that I can keep a reasonable distance from people, I haven't worn a mask this year. But, at the weekends if crowds were dense, then I probably would wear a mask. But part of my risk assessment is to do things that I enjoy at quieter times, so I wouldn't go to the shopping centre at the weekend in the first place!
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill W wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 15:29
towny44 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:49
just because you can't see masks, it doesn't necessarily mean that people are operating their daily lives exactly as they did pre-Covid.

I make an evaluation, but nobody can see me doing it.

For a weekday excursion to a large shopping centre, with high ceilings where I know that I can keep a reasonable distance from people, I haven't worn a mask this year. But, at the weekends if crowds were dense, then I probably would wear a mask. But part of my risk assessment is to do things that I enjoy at quieter times, so I wouldn't go to the shopping centre at the weekend in the first place!
I must remember your invisible mask if someone asks me why I am not wearing one. :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
John

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Always inventive…I just hold my breath when finding myself walking past crowds of people…. you’ll be surprised how many people you can avoid on 30 seconds of oxygen. :thumbup:

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Can I just say I really miss the days when people used to give you a bit of personal space ... now it seems back to reaching over, through, around and leaning over you as you examine something on a shelf. Even queues, during lockdown, were much more civilised ... now people just seem to push or want to stand in the same physical space as you.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Onelife wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 15:54
Always inventive…I just hold my breath when finding myself walking past crowds of people…. you’ll be surprised how many people you can avoid on 30 seconds of oxygen. :thumbup:
I bet you're even more surprised when, having overdone your 30 seconds of breath, you wake up to find somebody giving you mouth to mouth resuscitation. :) :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'd give him 10 mins at least before I intervened. Just saying.......

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You're going soft....

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

It's the Covid Guv. Puddled my brain.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Just got off Queen Victoria and saw not 1 mask including the crew - waiters - bar staff etc - it was certainly back to normal on Cunard

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 08:59
Onelife wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 15:54
I bet you're even more surprised when, having overdone your 30 seconds of breath, you wake up to find somebody giving you mouth to mouth resuscitation. :) :thumbup:
Just seen your post Foxy :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Well 10 days on I'm negative.

The experience has changed my attitude somewhat and made me understand the it's all over brigade rather better. Maybe it was the variant, my five jabs or just luck, but my symptoms were just runny nose, sore throat, a bit.of a tickly cough and a slightly.muzzy head. No fever and my oxygen levels stayed at 99%.

I've had far worse colds and much much worse flu a couple of times. So I am now inclined towards the let's get on with life view.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 26 Nov 2022, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 13:01

The experience has changed my attitude somewhat and made me understand the it's all over brigade rather better. Maybe it was the variant, my five jabs or just luck, but my symptoms were just runny nose, sore throat, a bit.of a tickly cough and a slightly.muzzy head. No fever and my oxygen levels stayed at 99%.

I've had far worse colds and much much worse flu a couple of times. So I am now inclined towards the let's get on with life view.
With the symptoms described above I'm afraid I don't bother getting tested. I just hunker down for a few days until feeling better.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 13:01

I have had 7 days of very similar symptoms Merv, but assumed it was just a cold so did not bother doing a covid LFT.
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I only really tested because my daughter had tested positive two days before and I planned to isolate if positive myself to protest Trish. Unfortunately that didn't work and she had symptoms two days later. One thing that is clear is one is infectious before symptoms emerge.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

I’m not testing again unless I’m forced to for travel etc

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”