Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Sue and Garry Aurora Caribbean cruise Nov 22

Post by Suekersh »

Morning all
Here is the start of Sue and Garry's cruise reports.

It always feels like a long slog to get to Madeira especially during the winter months when the weather isn’t good enough to enjoy the outside docks.

Friday, 11 November - Boarding Day for the 28 night Caribbean Cruise on Aurora.

We travelled down to Southampton yesterday for an overnight stay at Elizabeth House Hotel.
Once we had got past Manchester the traffic was busy but steady and we arrived at 1:30 after a few comfort breaks and a brief stop for lunch.

After the stress of having an observed test on Wednesday, waiting for the email to arrive with the magic word NEGATIVE, ensuring we had all the necessary paperwork printed out it was a relief to just get into the room and chill with a bottle of rosé wine. The holiday has begun.

Our taxi to the port arrived earlier than booked and we were surprised it was a Radio cars rather than West Quay who we had booked with. The driver told us that they had merged with West Quay in September.

The porters were back at the port and whisked our luggage away. As we were early we had 20 minutes wait until check in opened but it all went smoothly. We had Priority embarkation and once the ship was ready to accept passengers we went through security and onto the ship. We called at the cabin to drop our hand luggage off before heading to the Restaurant for a boozy lunch.

When we returned to the cabin all our luggage was waiting for us and an hour later we were unpacked. Ragu our cabin steward came to welcome us back and as he had been our cabin steward in September he knew exactly what we required.

We spent the rest of the afternoon sorting out the holiday app and booking the select dining venues and shows in the theatre.

Auroras Captain is Russell Robson and we set sail around 6 p.m.

Dinner was in the Alexandra restaurant first sitting and we had been allocated a table for 2 and by a window. Our diet waiter was Arita who we had met on the September cruise. He remembered us and our preferences. Great start to the cruise but - Shock horror our favourite Sauvignon Blanc Whakapappa is no more. The Chilean Sauvignon Blanc was also not available but a new Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand called Red Lobster was equally as quaffable.
Our waiters Shahid and Andro are friendly and professional but we are not particularly happy with where our table is situated. It is far too far back and quite noisy. It is very close to the table for 6 next to us and although there are only 4 passengers at that one we would prefer to be nearer the entrance of the Alexandra restaurant. We have spoken to the restaurant manager and will have to wait to see what the outcome is.

After dinner we called into the Glass House to purchase some Jam Shed Shiraz as this is not available to purchase in the restaurant.

Vouchers to purchase a bottle of alcohol each to drink in the cabin had been delivered so we went to pick up 2 bottles of gin from the duty free shop.

We called into Carmens to listen to Pulse but after two long days we didn’t stay long before retreating back to the cabin for an early ish night.

Saturday, 12 November 2022- 1st Sea day to Madeira.

It had been slightly Rocky over night but nothing that Aurora couldn’t handle. We woke early and we still hadn’t gone round the tip of France. We got up and went to do some laps of the prom deck whilst most passengers were still sleeping. It was very windy down one side of the ship. I would normally have gone to the gym classes for my exercise but still don’t feel safe mixing with other passengers in an enclosed area.
Masks are recommended on board but only essential in the medical centre. We are in the minority as we are wearing our masks everywhere inside the ship.

After breakfast where the lovely Erica had remembered us from our previous cruise and had allocated us our preferred table for 2 by a window. The sun was out and hot through the glass, it was lovely morning.
Unfortunately it wasn’t as hot as it looked and when we went up to the Pennant bar mid morning to meet some of our fellow passengers it was quite cool and blowy. It was a well attended meet up and we saw lots of familiar faces. Originally it had been set up by Terry who we had met previously on a similar cruise. Unfortunately Babs his wife is unwell and they had to cancel the cruise. The ladies who had taken over the task did an excellent job and Heather managed to get everyone together for a photograph for them.

The weather stayed sunny and bright but not warm enough to be outside.

Another excellent dinner and on our way out the restaurant manager gave us the good news that he had found us another table. It isn’t by a window but as it is dark by the time we are eating it isn’t a problem. I was so happy I couldn’t thank him enough.

Sunday 13 November 2022. - 2nd Sea day to Madeira.

Remembrance Sunday and there was a service in the Curzon theatre which was well attended and raised £1200 which will be donated to the British Legion poppy appeal.

It was still very cool and choppy so we spent 2 hours in the playhouse watching the film Downton Abbey 2.

The first of six formal nights of the cruise and Celebration night. The Captains announcement included the number of passengers on board at 1535 of which over 500 are in the top three tiers and around 300 passengers new to P & O.

The Captain also announced that the Trumpet player was in the theatre, in the Horizon newspaper it was Steven Bayliss who is from our home town and which we had booked for. We checked with the reception desk and they said it was an error in the Horizon and it was the trumpet player for the 2 nd night running in the theatre. That changed our plan for the evening completely. There doesn’t appear to be an Entertainment manager on board or if there is we haven’t seen or heard from him.

We used our drinks vouchers in the Glass House before going down to dinner and meeting our new waiters Vinny and Clinton. This is a much better table less cramped and we could hear each other without having to raise our voices.

It was an excellent meal of Marco’s Beef Wellington with a bottle of Jam shed Shiraz.

We found seats in Carmens to listen to Pulse and had intended staying there for the evening but at the end of the first session a member of the entertainment announced that Stephen Baylis was about to perform in the Curzon theatre which is the opposite end of the ship. We made the mad dash to the other end and found seats just in time for the show to start. Stephen disembarks in Madeira so this was the only chance to see him. He was excellent as usual, I think the Captain should stick to what he does best and not give out duff info regarding the entertainment programme.

Monday, 14 November 2022 - 3 rd Sea day to Madeira.

It started off very blustery but the sea had calmed down considerably from yesterday.
After an early morning walk followed by breakfast, Garry got the laundry up to date. By the time it was finished the sun was out and warm enough to sit out on deck. Still not hot enough for me to lie in it but pleasant enough to sit, chat and people watch.

The evening entertainment was the trumpeter in the theatre and Bella duo in Carmens.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Sue and Garry Aurora Caribbean cruise Nov 22

Post by oldbluefox »

We had Stephen Bayliss for a Ladies Night and he was very good. The ladies liked him!! In cabaret he is a good entertainer.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Which one is your wife Foxy? ;) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7msxSEAonU

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Onelife wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 15:12

She's with me where I know where she is!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you see them all swooning over him? Now what's he got that the rest of us haven't? :lol:
Last edited by oldbluefox on 15 Nov 2022, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Looking forward to your upcoming reports Sue. I was thrilled to see you are still posting.

Bad news about the Whakappa! That was one of my favourites too as is the Jam Shed.

Enjoy your cruise

Best wishes

Maureen

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 16:05
Onelife wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 15:12

She's with me where I know where she is!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you see them all swooning over him? Now what's he got that the rest of us haven't? :lol:

Yoof :)

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I remember the journey to Madeira at the beginning of the cruise round South America in January 2018 - Sue and Garry were on this one too - and we spent those few days staggering around the ship, not because of too much alcohol either!

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I'm confused by the observed test. Are they stipulating that for longer cruises at the moment? Our summer trip on Iona was do it yourself and no proof of result required.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 17:47
I'm confused by the observed test.
I believe it is because the ship is going to the Caribbean - they still require tests.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Ah yes, that makes sense.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Lovely to read sue and Garry’s reports - just come back from Queen Victoria/ absolutely superb! Including chocolates on pillow and nightly turndown service -

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Todays report.

Tuesday, 15 November 2022 - Madeira
There was a lovely sun rise which boded well for a hot sunny day in Madeira. The only blot on the sky was high up over Monte which was shrouded in mist.
We got off early and headed into town to get stocked up on cabin essentials before the locusts cleared the shelves of tonic, then returned to the ship to drop it all off before heading out for the day.
Madeira is having a lot of building work done in the centre where a multi million pound Savoy residence was being built. More building work is planned for early next year near the marina where all the fish restaurants are.

We walked through where the Christmas market stalls were being erected ready for the start of the festivities in early December. They really go all out for Christmas here and when it is completed a winter wonderland in the sun.

The old market was very busy. This never seems to change with the elderly ladies in their traditional dress selling flowers and posing for photographs. We bought the local delicacy pastel de Nata to take back to the ship then walked through the gardens and to the Beerhouse which brews its own beer. It was lovely sat in the warm sun with Aurora in sight and the beer went down well.

We spent the rest of the afternoon on the deck soaking up the rays and chatting to other passengers.
The big surprise was the Sailaway from Madeira. The entertainment team came out and for the first time on Aurora since Covid we had a sailaway party in the sun. It was very emotional and another sign that cruising is beginning to get back to normal. Unfortunately because it wasn’t well advertised the aft deck wasn’t as full as it used to be for these events but hopefully word will get round and the Caribbean sailaways will be well attended.

We dined in Sindhu which was as usual excellent, then instead of ordering desert in there we walked along to the glasshouse for the sharing cheese platter and a glass of port. Normally this venue is buzzing at night but because they are not serving food in there other than the cheeseboard, due to staff shortages it was very quiet.

We now have 6 sea days before we reach our first Caribbean port of St. Maarten.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We are on the same cruise next year but your report makes it that much nearer, thank you Sue.
Last edited by Ray B on 17 Nov 2022, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

A further update from Sue and Garry

Monday, 21 November 2022 Final Sea Day to St Maarten.
All the sea days merge together especially as the weather was excellent from Madeira onwards.
The clocks had retarded by 3 hours over the sea days with another hour overnight tonight in readiness for St Maarten tomorrow.

Every morning we were up early and walking the decks before showering and setting the beds up for the day as the night sky changed and the orange glow of the sun appeared. It is always spectacular and I love this part of the day before most people even get out of bed. We are not the only insomniacs and we see the same half dozen walking the decks every morning. Lots of crew are around getting the ship cleaned and ready for passengers.

Wednesday the first sea day we attended the Ligurian lunch event which was excellent. The wine flowed well but I was determined not to over indulge as I wanted to get back out into the sun.
I found a lounger in the sun on deck 7 and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon.

Thursday- a full day in the sun doing very little after our usual walk.
The sea was like a mill pond with just a few ripples.
It was a fabulous sunny day, no sign of any ships or sea life to report. Just miles and miles of empty ocean.
Our 2 nd formal night and another great meal before we headed to the theatre to see the pianist Harrison Treble who was very up beat and put his heart and soul into his act. A great show.
Pulse were in Carmens with their Motown show.

Friday - 3 rd Sea day

Another sunny sea day spent reading and soaking up the rays.

I noticed that afternoon tea in the dining room is back on. Apparently only on sea days which is a shame as I used to enjoy afternoon tea after getting back on ship too late for lunch.

The Headliners were in Carmens Performing their show ‘ Up all night.’
It was much improved performance from the last time we saw it in August when the headliners were a new troupe. There was certainly a big difference.

Saturday, 4 th Sea Day to St Maarten.

We noticed the decks were very wet whilst we were walking around and I saw a bolt of lightening.
Apparently there had been a spectacular electric storm in the early hours of the morning.

We were out on deck as the sun rose but the clouds were lingering around. It took a couple of hours for the sun to burn them off.

It was a Hot hot day with a few drops of liquid sunshine mid afternoon.
I spent the day out there and my butler visited the laundry once he had had enough sun.

We dined in the Beach House and ate outside in the warm air. Lots of stars in the clear night sky. The service and food was excellent as usual. This is the first of 3 meals we have booked in there.

Sunday - 5 th sea day to St Maarten

Another hot sunny day with some light clouds to give a little relief from the sun.
The third formal evening of the cruise and the last until we are on our way back across the Atlantic. A sobering thought but we have seven Caribbean islands to look forward to. When the dress codes were released we were supposed to have a formal night in St Kitts but this was changed once we were on board.

After dinner we went to listen to Pulse in Carmens before getting changed out of our formal wear to sit on the aft deck with a drink.

Monday - final sea day and another hot day with some liquid sunshine at lunchtime. I made the most of the sun reading and relaxing in readiness for the next seven port days.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Sue,

Thank you for the update.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Todays update from Sue and Garry.

Tuesday, 22 November 2022 - St Maarten
The hour retarded again in the early hours of the morning for the final time this cruise. We are now 4 hours behind UK TIME. According to the Horizon newspaper delivered last night Aurora has a long stay here arriving at 07:00 and departing 20:30 hours.

At 07:30 we were still nowhere near docking so I suspect someone forgot to tell the editor of the Horizon about the hour change.

Around 7:45 there was announcement to say that due to port traffic Aurora wouldn’t be docking until 08:30. There was one other ship in port which was a Holland America ship the Veendam and a small Seabourne ship followed us in. We have seen many more ships in St Maarten in the past.

We had a tour booked on an open top bus to visit the French side of the Island and the notorious Maho beach where the planes come in so close that people have been known to be blown off their feet. I won’t be getting that close.

The queues to disembark the ship at the mid ships gangway was horrific so we walked to the bow and no queue at all. The trip due to leave at 08:30 didn’t leave until well after 9a.m.

It was a large open topped double decker bus that was supposed to have free Wi-Fi but didn’t. The weather was glorious as we were driven towards the French side of the island. There was a reasonable commentary with facts and figures about the island.
When we reached Marigot we were told we had 20 minutes there and the rest Rooms were pointed out. Taking into account the 5+ minutes it took to unload everyone off the bus, 5 minutes queuing for the rest room, we actually had 10 minutes to look round Marigot. It should have been a minimum of an hour as this was the main reason for the trip.
We managed to walk through the market area where a beach dress jumped out at me then to a bar for a bottle of beer which as time was out we took it back on the bus with us.

Next was the drive past the airport to Maho beach where there was another 15 minute stop and again 5 + minutes to disembark plus a further 5 minute walk to the beach from where the bus was parked it was a matter of seeing it turning round and walking back to the bus.

The next stop was rum tasting where we were given 25 minutes and again 5 + of those precious minutes were taken up getting off the bus with another 5 + minutes queuing to get into the the venue. The rum measures were minute not even a teaspoon full but there were plenty of different types to sample. Once again this should have been a minimum of 40 minute stop as it was right by the marina with a bar, food and ice cream being served. There just wasn’t enough time to enjoy it.

After the rum tasting we were took to a viewing point but although we could get off the bus we couldn’t walk up to the viewing point as there wasn’t time. I don’t see the point of going to a viewing point unless it is to see the view. So we actually saw the viewing point but not the view from the viewing point.

We asked if we could be dropped off in Phillipsburg but we were told no as we were being taken to a cheese shop near the port.
This was a complete waste of time and I cannot explain how small the piece of cheese was that we were given to sample, probably 2 millimetres square not even the size of a little finger nail. We were given a Cookie on our way out which was a full size one and very nice, we were there for 15 minutes then taken back to the port. Unfortunately it started raining but the driver did pull the cover over the roof.

Certainly not the best trip we have ever done, they had just tried to cram too much into too short a space of time.

Back at the port we did some shopping before returning to the ship. The crew were out and enjoying their free time.

We set up on the aft deck and it was extremely hot for around 20 minutes when suddenly the winds got up and it started raining very hard.

Ship due to leave at 8:30 pm so after dinner we went to watch the sailaway from St, Maarten at the aft dec. There was a Caribbean party being held at the Riviera pool but there is no real view from there.

We stayed in the aft deck with a drink whilst Saint Maarten disappeared into the night.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

We just love St Maarten, nowadays we just use it as a definite beach day and to rock up to one of the bars on the boardwalk for lunch. one other thing is that the last time we were there covid was still very prevalent, so we walked to Philipsburg rather than take the ferry, something we had not done for years. may do that walk again next year as the footpath is vastly improved from many years ago when it was just a dusty track.
Don't worry, be happy

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thanks Sue.
Lovely to read as I’ve just lit the log burner 😬
Empty vessels .. and all that

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks for reminding me of St Maarten - John bought me some pearls there on our Pearl Anniversary. I remember lots of bargaining going on. We went on a trip to Marigot and as far as I can remember we had over an hour there. I remember going to an open air market full of wonderful fruits and vegetables as well as things that 'leapt out at me' as Sue says. I remember going to one of the bars on the broadwalk and sitting on the sand with a rum punch and chickens wondering around the tables! Amazing that there were so few ships in port. Usually there are so many it means crowds of people trying to get on the water taxi. It was also in St. Maarten where there was usually an excursion for people interested in sailing on one of the America's Cup yachts. John did this twice. As he was an experienced sailor he was allowed to do more on board than people usually do. He loved that and I remember watching from our balcony and saw his boat win. A wonderful day, great memories.

Carole

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Lovely memories Carole - I love St Maartens too. My husband and I and our friends always went down a little side street to a coffee shop and I kept up the tradition whenever I visited. I took my son and family there on their first visit to the Caribbean. It had changed hands last time which was Christmas 2018 but still very welcoming. Oh how I’d love to be in the Caribbean now - weather here is dreadful :thumbdown:
Janis

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Yes Jan the weather here is truly awful, hail and thunderstorms.
Anyway here is Sue's report for today.

Wednesday 23 November 2022- Antigua
We docked early and were surprised that we were the only ship in port.

A hot sunny morning with scattered clouds but with the threat of rain spells later.

We disembarked and at the taxi dispatch area requested a ride to Fort James beach. Last time we came here it had closed down because of Covid but hoped it had reopened.
It hadn’t but our taxi driver Howard took us to the nearest beach called Sandhaven. We found out later it is also known as Runaway beach and this is where the P & O trip had headed.

The beach was wonderful and the sea clear and calm. A small ridge which caused more issues getting out of the water than getting in but not a major problem.

Good wi fi from the bar which reached the beach.
We paid 15 $ each way for the taxi. If we had joined a group it would have been 10$ each way.
Two sunbeds and a shade was 20$
The beer was Caribe , I would have preferred Wadadli but Caribe a a good substitute. The rum punch was strong but not home made.

By the time we returned main dining lunch had finished, so the only other option was the buffet which offered scant pickings as half of the buffet was being emptied and cleaned ready for afternoon tea.
Please bring back the Glass House P & O.

The weather had changed and we had had the best of the day. It was only showers off and on but it wasn’t worth getting sun beds. I had probably had enough sun for the day and Garry definitely had.

The evening show was Maurice Grumbleweed. He was fabulous and no matter how many times we have seen him he is one of the very few comedians that makes me laugh. Maybe it’s because he’s a Northerner and I am on the same wavelength. The theatre was packed out and certainly the performance of the cruise so far.

Tomorrow we dock in St Kitts.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Here is todays cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Thursday, 24 November 2022 - St Kitts
We had planned to go to the Shipwreck bar on South Friars beach but after the forecast was for showers and there is little shelter there we decided to stay closer to the port.

A mammoth ship, The Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas followed us into port and blocked out the sun on all the starboard side balconies and aft deck. The sun will get round onto the aft deck later but I think the balcony cabins will be in darkness all day.
Our waiter at breakfast told us that this was the largest passenger ship in the world at present but that an even bigger one was being built. Around 7,000 passengers plus crew when full.

Another large Celebrity ship the Equinox arrived so after 2 peaceful port days today St Kitts will be rammed. This was around 5,000 passengers plus crew.

Aurora looked like a graceful cruise liner next to these two mega ships.

The port area of St Kitts is one of the best in the Caribbean with lots of bars and shopping opportunities.

We sat at Cheers for a beer and to catch up on emails. There was nothing needing immediate attention which was lucky as within 10 minutes Cheers was rammed and the wi fi signal couldn’t cope.
We looked round the old market area and chatted to a local lady before finding another bar. It was so hot the beer went down well. We spent a while here chatting to some of the entertainers on board.

We bought some Rum from the specialist shop then headed back to the ship. The queues to get out of the port area were long as passports and cruise cards were being checked and only 2 officials on duty trying to deal with around 15,000 passengers and crew.

I got a bed in the sun and spent the rest of the afternoon soaking up the rays.

We had dinner in the Beach House. We both opted for the lava rock steak. A perfect night to eat outside under the stars.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Here is todays report from Sue and Garry.

Friday, 25 November 2022 - Guadeloupe
This was our first visit to this island and after watching the TV series Death in Paradise I wanted to do the trip to see the idyllic locations that were filmed for the program.

Guadeloupe did not disappoint. The scenery and beaches were just stunning.
It was about an hours coach drive from the port to Deshaies to see the beach where the inspector lived. The shack in the tv series is taken down in the winter and re erected once filming starts again.
The beach was fabulous and the sea turquoise and clear. This was just a short stop but I did manage to get my feet in the sea.

Next was a photo stop of Grand Anse beach from across the bay. Just stunning and that is the beach we went to later on in the tour.
The coach parked up and the filming trucks were there. They have just finished filming for this season. Our guide Maura told us that they are always looking for ‘extras’ and they pay 90 Euros a day for just sitting there drinking. Not a bad job! She walked us through the town to the the little church and police station. The liquid sunshine arrived at the same time but didn’t last too long. Next stop was Catherine’s bar and we managed to get an outside table with a view out to sea. The beer was Caribe and very refreshing.

Our final stop was for an hour at Grand Anse beach. The sand was soft and the sea warm. I went straight in the sea and immediately got swamped by a wave. It was quite choppy but so refreshing. On my way out I got swamped again by a bigger wave and lost all my dignity as when I re surfaced I realised my swimwear was not covering what it was meant to. Great fun but I decided that was enough and another beer was called for but I was out of luck.
The Horizon Newspaper had stated that US dollars would be accepted In Guadeloupe but all the bars by the beach would only accept Euros which were sitting in our safe in the cabin on the ship.
Well done Garry you tight a*se!

It was a great tour, our guide was very informative and we learnt a lot about the island. We call here again next year and I am looking forward to seeing more of the island and will ensure I carry the Euros.

We were back at the ship in time for Garry to watch the USA and England match. I desperately needed a shower as there hadn’t been any facilities at the beach. I found a sunbed in the sun on the aft deck, it was too late for lunch so I waited for afternoon tea to get a snack.

When we went into dinner we were surprised to see the Christmas decorations had started appearing. The trees were erected and decorated as were the pillars. More will be added overnight and tomorrow.

The evening entertainment was the BlueJays a 1950’s Rock and Roll band. We had seen them on a previous cruise and they were fantastic but it was a choice of a drink or two under the stars of the Caribbean or being crammed in the theatre, just no contest as we only have 3 Caribbean ports left before we start heading back across the Atlantic to chillier climes.

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Another nice cruise report from Sue and Garry.

Saturday, 26 November 2022 - St Lucia
Unusually we have to tender into St Lucia today. Britannia is in port along with Rhapsody of the Seas. Aurora drew the short straw and had to tender in rather than dock.

We had booked a beach break with P & O to Rodney Bay and an early start. I don’t like the tenders but few passengers do. We met in the theatre and it was all well organised until we got to the otherside and the local reps took over the organisation.
We tendered into the market area rather than Seraphine point.

The organisation here was pretty dismal and we were left standing in lines like school children for a considerable period of time, we had to fill in a form and sign it which was virtually saying if anything bad happens it’s not their fault. We were then herded onto small buses seating around 20 passengers for the 45 minute drive to Rodney Beach. We have been here many times and never seen the roads so busy. It was 10:15 when we reached the beach about 3/4 later than expected but we were still given the allocated 3 hours at the beach.

The sunbeds were included in the tour price and they were ready and waiting for us but didn’t include a parasol which was 10US dollars and took 30 minutes to arrive. The tour price also included a drink.
It got busier and busier, but we had front row beds and the sea was very inviting until the jet skis arrived. They were dangerous. No roped off area for swimmers and the jet ski drivers were maniacs. An accident waiting to happen. Luckily when it did happen it was a minor one but I hope the lady involved reports it to the tours desk.

As we were late arriving the next group from Britannia arrived to find no sunbeds available on the beach and were not happy when the staff started putting out beds for them on the car park.

When we returned to the tender area there was only a small queue waiting for a tender but the journey back to the ship was very choppy
and uncomfortable. I made the decision that in future I will only get off on a tender if it is a ‘must do’ port. It is just too much hassle.

Once back on ship after a shower we went for afternoon tea in the buffet.

There was an aft deck sailaway party which we thought would involve Britannia as they were due to sailaway at the same time but were delayed. The entertainment team put their heart and soul into the party and although they don’t appeal to everyone I really enjoy having a drink and dance whilst the sun is going down and Aurora is leaving one island and heading for a different destination.

The evening entertainment was Maurice Grumbleweed in the theatre for his second show. We didn’t go as it was too lovely a night to spend inside.

Tomorrow we dock in Grenada.

LadyPCruiser
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by LadyPCruiser »

Hi sue - do you always do p and o - have you tried Cunard?

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”