Online Check In

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Online Check In

Post by CaroleF »

I've now had my first experience of checking in on line. I wasn't very confident about this, a combination of lack of computer skills and past experience of P&O's website. So I did the sensible thing and waited until my daughter came yesterday evening. Although this is only a 4 night Aurora cruise, according to the dedicated thread for this cruise on FB there seems to be a lot of interest in this cruise, many first timers from what I can discover. I'm sure most of you have already had experience of this as I know have already cruised post Covid. My last cruise, also on Aurora was 2019. My daughter has never cruised before but she has had her first experience of the P&O website. She contacted me to ask how to find the Manage My Booking section on the website. Now I would have thought that when you go to the P&O site that would be one of the headings at the top of the page. No, it isn't. You can find it by going to the very bottom of the page and it's one of the headings there.

Anyway, she started by trying the online check in. At first this was fine because most of the details P&O already had, passport etc. Then we come to a photo. We were using my laptop and I don't have a photo on the laptop. So my daughter decided the easiest way was for her to take a photo on her phone and then do whatever, seems very clever to me, she could get this onto the check in site. She had a couple of goes at taking a photo of me standing against a blank wall. Hideous is the word for the result. Hopefully I'll never have to look at it again, I'll look away when boarding and leaving the ship! It was eventually accepted by P&O. Then we got to the printing. Now although my printer is fairly new it has had teething problems. The result had the bar code in the middle which I assume is what P&O need but the part above only had about three quarters of it, the section on the right was absent. My daughter played around with it but eventually she made sure I'd got the Check In in its entirety on my iPhone which P&

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Online Check In

Post by CaroleF »

Even my laptop's against me! Don't ask me what happened there! Anyway as I was saying the check in on a phone is apparently fine. Then we turned to the labels. My daughter decided to just attempt to print one and see what happened. Much to my amazement it was fine. So we printed a couple more. I must admit I do harken back to the days when you received a lovely wallet with everything in and the brochure with all the excursions in. Those says are gone. However, in the end I'm checked in. My daughter is going to do her check in at home. Hopefully she'll find it much easier than mine was. Am I the only one who has had any difficulty? I assume some people have to check in at the terminal if they don't have access to a computer or mobile phone.

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We had no trouble checking in on line for Iona last year, but I always do such things on my PC rather than phone or tablet. It definitely speeded up things at the port, though they did retake the photo of one of our grand daughters because they didn't like our effort!

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I’ve never had a problem but do know that it seems to work better on Chrome.
I’ve never bothered submitting photos of us because they can do it at check in but found everything else pretty easy.
I always use the PC in the office.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I had notification today that online check-in is now open.

All pretty straight forward apart from downloading luggage labels. Even after several attempts the timer just keeps going round and round.
Will try again later.
Shouldn't be a problem as our travel agent usually emails luggage labels at some point. Good old P&O IT :roll: .

Agree about the passport photo's though. I looked wonderful as usual, we won't mention Mrs S photo :D

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

makes me wonder about the security of uploading credit card details which I understand is also required....
Meg
x

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I have no problem about the Credit Card details. Shouldn't be any more of a problem than any on-line purchase, which we do all the time.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I couldn't find my luggage labels ,then I looked in my download file and hey presto. !!

Lindsey

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 13:04
I have no problem about the Credit Card details. Shouldn't be any more of a problem than any on-line purchase, which we do all the time.
Have just had to do on line log in for 19th sept and hadchanged my mobile 5 weeks ago so not possible to do it phoned p&o and was told to phone credit card as I had to do it through them so they could send me codes did this no problem at all

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hopefully it will be easier this time soon.
Our cruise just after covid last year nearly use up a tree in paper.
They also had to retake Sarah's photo, but I thought the quality was just as good as mine.
Normally our T/A prints off and send all the paperwork and tickets, but because of the requirements of some countries we were visiting last year we thought it to be easier if we did it.
Don't worry, be happy

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”