Good to know,cheers John.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: First cruise since Covid

Post by Stephen »

screwy wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 16:21
We’ll I said sod it and booked it, Screwess tutted a bit but she’ll get over it.😂
14 nights fly cruise from Manchester. C deck balcony mid aft £3380 plus £480 obc, with shareholder benefit and military £760. Happy days.
Just need the sun to shine.

Nice one :thumbup:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

screwy wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 16:21
We’ll I said sod it and booked it, Screwess tutted a bit but she’ll get over it.😂
14 nights fly cruise from Manchester. C deck balcony mid aft £3380 plus £480 obc, with shareholder benefit and military £760. Happy days.
Just need the sun to shine.
Excellent 👍
You’ll enjoy a bit of winter sun.
We also had an excellent deal.
£2,880 for C deck with £700 obc.
Unfortunately the only C deck available was right at the back, two from the end, but it’ll be fine.
We’ve had fully aft a few times and enjoyed.

Mrs B has decided to retire and has had a good offer on her shop, so once that’s completed, the holiday world is our lobster.
I’ve been looking at an extended Canary Islands holiday for winter 25. Maybe an apartment for January and February.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

To finish off my post Covid trip on Aurora, new cruisers wouldn't have noticed the changes that seem to have occurred. I was in a mini suite, the same grade of cabin that John and I had for the 65 night South American cruise and there were changes. The bottle of fizz was still there but placed in the fridge, no ice bucket. No initial free bottles of water, now it's all cans and they had to be ordered via the steward, although they are still offering 6 for the price of 5. The fruit was still there but in a sensible move, there was an order form asking me to tick which pieces of fruit I wanted and it stated that the fruit would be replenished as necessary. I thought that was a good idea. However, would I miss that particular perk, probably not. There was a L'or coffee machine and pods which was new since my last cruise. There used to be a box of White Company small toiletry items in the bathroom. Now there were two large bottles of White Company Flowers hand wash in the bathroom in a box in addition to the ones on the wall above the bath. Another change which I assume is directly because of Covid, the cabin steward came to clean the room on a Sea Day and I said to go ahead and I would just sit on the settee. He said he wasn't allowed to clean the cabin with me in there. I could go and sit on the balcony - no thank you too cold. I told him that in the past I had often remained in the cabin while it was cleaned but he was adamant so I left and went down to Raffles to have a cup of coffee.

The voucher for a free glass of fizz on a Sailaway was still there. I spoke about the changes in the MDR but one thing I didn't mention was that there didn't appear to be a wine list. Obviously passengers are now expected to do various things via the My Holiday app. There was no drinks list in Andersons either, no coffee/tea menu in Raffles. It wasn't possible to book tables in Sindhu or the Beach House until passengers were on board and then a virtual queue appeared on My Holiday. We weren't on Freedom Dining so I don't know how that went. We had a meal in the Glasshouse which was fantastic and such good value. When we mentioned it to our new table companions it seemed that they didn't even know about the Glasshouse. I think our total bill for two courses was just over £20 for the two of us. I also introduced my daughter to the Peller Cuvee Ice Wine which she really enjoyed. The waiter told us it's very popular but it can only be bought in the Glasshouse.
We did have a look at the shops but nothing exciting, I thought they were supposed to have a revamp at some point. I didn't see many people in them.
Our disembarking was easy. We were given a time of 8.30- , I think this was because we had registered for assistance. We had intended going to the MDR for breakfast before leaving but when we arrived at the restaurant there was a huge queue, out of the restaurant, along the corridor and up the stairs so we agreed to forgo breakfast and went straight to our meeting point which was Masquerade. We got there and immediately a lovely guy called Trevor said he could take us straight off. In the baggage hall my daughter found our two cases very easily and with her pulling one case and Trevor pushing me and pulling the other we were off, straight over the road to the CPS who had allocated us a disabled parking space so the car was near the entrance. Trevor helped my daughter load in the cases and the wheelchair and wished us a cheery safe journey, after I'd tipped him of course. I asked if he were allowed to accept a tip, 'Certainly!' was the response. This was about 8.40am and as I live near the port we were home just after 9 and unpacked before 10am, not bad.

So would I go back on a cruise, yes but not on my own. Even if I used a scooter which I might have to do, I don't think I'd want to try to cope with it all without some help. So yes with a friend or a member of my family. My daughter has already suggested it would be an idea to plan a cruise with both my daughters and my sister-in-law so who knows. I think it would probably always be from Southampton. If I were to think of taking any of my grandchildren then obviously it would have to be one of the larger ships. I enjoyed the four nights and yes it was good to be back.

Carole

paultheagle
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by paultheagle »

Thanks Carole for your very long cruise report, It was a very good read. Glad you enjoyed it and will go again, albeit with a companion.
Last edited by paultheagle on 17 Apr 2023, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Palace

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

So pleased you had a lovely cruise with your daughter and everything turned out well on the good ship Aurora. Here's to the next one Carole, more adventures to look forward to in the future.
Don't worry, be happy

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Enjoyed reading your cruise report Carole. You mentioned that you can get ‘cans’ of water from the Steward. Do you know if it Is possible to buy the one litre bottles on the ship at all?

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

cruisin_duo wrote: 19 Apr 2023, 13:22
Enjoyed reading your cruise report Carole. You mentioned that you can get ‘cans’ of water from the Steward. Do you know if it Is possible to buy the one litre bottles on the ship at all?
I think, cruisin_duo, that the bottles have been replaced by cans (half litre?), presumably to avoid the use of plastic. Same system, though, just ask the steward and he will deliver to your cabin and charge your on-board account

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Cans of water have been used for a while now, at least since our last cruise, July last year.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

kaymar wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 21:54

I think, cruisin_duo, that the bottles have been replaced by cans (half litre?), presumably to avoid the use of plastic. Same system, though, just ask the steward and he will deliver to your cabin and charge your on-board account
Kaymar, thank you for letting me know.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

cruisin_duo wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 09:33
kaymar wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 21:54

Kaymar, thank you for letting me know.
But it is much cheaper to refill your own bottles and keep them cool in the fridge.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 13:24
But it is much cheaper to refill your own bottles and keep them cool in the fridge.
Especially if you use the water dispensers in the buffet :shock:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Top place to contract Covid ... just saying :sick:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 14:11
Top place to contract Covid ... just saying :sick:
Probably correct for Noro which is more readily transmitted by hand than is covid.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... and what about contact by mouth / saliva from the previous filler-up-erer ?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Yes, I think I’d rather pay the money.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We fill bottles from the cabin tap, which is exactly the same water as those in the buffet, and stick them in the fridge for 24 hours. As well as cooling them it allows time for any chemical taste to dissipate.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We do exactly the same Merv.
It’s fine if chilled.
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 14:26
We fill bottles from the cabin tap, which is exactly the same water as those in the buffet, and stick them in the fridge for 24 hours. As well as cooling them it allows time for any chemical taste to dissipate.
You and I seem to be the only sensible posters on this topic Merv.
Oh and Barney as well.
Last edited by towny44 on 22 Apr 2023, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Steward wipes tap using the same cloth as he / she has used for the past week and hey ... :sick:

For goodness sakes we are talking about the price of a bottle of water not a litre of Scotch :lol:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Health and hygiene paranoia is alive and well on this thread. ;)
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

No paranoia here John. You do your thing I’ll do mine. :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 16:17
Steward wipes tap using the same cloth as he / she has used for the past week and hey ... :sick:

For goodness sakes we are talking about the price of a bottle of water not a litre of Scotch :lol:
And how many people have handled the bottle you buy?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 16:41
Manoverboard wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 16:17

And how many people have handled the bottle you buy?
None ... as far as the ' inside ' of the bottle is concerned :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

But when you pour the water out the contact between it and the bottle is the same as the contact between the tap and the water.

In any case we take anti bac wipes with us!

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”