Misleading holiday promotions

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Misleading holiday promotions

Post by Kendhni »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42511321

I don't think there is really much new in here that most of us did not already know, however the thing that stood out for me is that these deals, that turn out not to be deals, 'could be in breach of consumer law.' I would argue that they definitely are in breach of consumer law.

I have generally felt that either the travel companies should automatically credit customers if there is a price drop (which we have seen in the past and I believe is still done in America) or that if a consumer spots a better deal they should be able to cancel and rebook without any admin or cancellation charges. I know this is overly simplistic and that there would be 101 ways around any such suggestions, but maybe it is time to start 'cleaning up' the charge structures ... in particular fluid pricing (never liked that, but can understand why it is used).
Last edited by Kendhni on 31 Dec 2017, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Misleading holiday promotions

Post by towny44 »

That sounds an excellent idea from the customer's point of view, but absolute disaster for the travel company.
Of course they could not allow this system to go unchecked for long or they would be out of business, so there would need to be a major increase in the starting price to compensate the company for any future price drop, as well as a rethink of the strategy of special reductions to ensure the ships sail full, all of which would lead to a substantial price hike leaving the customer with a higher cost.
Overall not a good idea Ken.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I always say, if you were happy with the price you paid at the time of booking then don't complain if it goes down at a later date. I've yet to hear anyone whinge if goes up after they've booked 😉🚢

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 11:01
That sounds an excellent idea from the customer's point of view, but absolute disaster for the travel company.
I'm with you Towny. You only have to look at holiday company collapses to realise the margins aren't that great. For cruise companies it's less than 10%. If they start doing better by some customers by handing out refunds it won't come out of the shareholders' pockets. Other customers will have to pay more.
Stephen wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 12:58
I always say, if you were happy with the price you paid at the time of booking then don't complain if it goes down at a later date. I've yet to hear anyone whinge if goes up after they've booked 😉🚢
I agree. If you don't like the price at the time, don't book it.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 13:47
I'm with you Towny. You only have to look at holiday company collapses to realise the margins aren't that great. For cruise companies it's less than 10%. If they start doing better by some customers by handing out refunds it won't come out of the shareholders' pockets. Other customers will have to pay more.
Stephen wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 12:58
I agree. If you don't like the price at the time, don't book it.
And this misleading sales stuff isn't just confined to holiday companies. My daughter wanted something for Christmas and I checked the prices on Black Friday. I found there were several different models and wasn't sure which one she wanted. By the time I'd found out Black Friday had passed. And prices were avbout 20% lower the day after!

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I am not saying my suggestion is good or bad but look at the latest consumer rights act ... if, 10 years ago, you had have mentioned the sort of rights provisioned in the CRA 2015 then you would have been called mad and told not a hope. Isn't it next year (or 'this year' if you read this after midnight) that all credit card transaction fees will be banned? Again if you had have suggested that a few years ago we would have been told 'no way'.

Never say never. Not that long ago the cruise companies changed their commission structure with the travel agencies and there was an initial uproar and cries of 'unfair'... but the TAs adapted. We just need the holiday market to adapt a bit more ensuring that their practices are not illegal (which I believe some of them are) and that the customer can ensure they have got the best deal without unfair penalty clauses in the contracts (which may also be illegal).

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Kendhni wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 17:04
I am not saying my suggestion is good or bad but look at the latest consumer rights act ... if, 10 years ago, you had have mentioned the sort of rights provisioned in the CRA 2015 then you would have been called mad and told not a hope. Isn't it next year (or 'this year' if you read this after midnight) that all credit card transaction fees will be banned? Again if you had have suggested that a few years ago we would have been told 'no way'.

Never say never. Not that long ago the cruise companies changed their commission structure with the travel agencies and there was an initial uproar and cries of 'unfair'... but the TAs adapted. We just need the holiday market to adapt a bit more ensuring that their practices are not illegal (which I believe some of them are) and that the customer can ensure they have got the best deal without unfair penalty clauses in the contracts (which may also be illegal).
My decrepit old memory tells me that credit card charges were banned until about (from memory) 10 years ago.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 17:04

Ken, the credit card charge must add up to many millions if not billions each year, who do you think is going to be paying this now, ALL credit card users instead of just those who are too idle to ensure they have funds in their current account to avoid them.
As one of those who currently does not pay them, I am going to be subsidising the profligate ones. :evil:
John

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

The new rule on credit/debit card charges actually comes into effect on 13 Jan.
Brian

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

When we first hand a credit card (many years ago) there was no charges for using it. We have always made sure to pay the full balance every month avoiding interest charges.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

A friend of mine works in retail management. He says it costs the supermarkets less to process cards than handle cash or cheques. So there really is no excuse for price increases.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think the telegraph article clearly supports my view that suppliers who are currently benefiting from these charges will want, or maybe even need, to recoup these funds in some other way.
In fact I just don't understand why various govts. have not yet grasped the point about these sort of issues, there are repeated calls for free banking in the UK to be abandoned so that the profligate amongst us do not pay excessive bank overdraft and other type of fees. This and the credit card charges just spread the cost over everybody, and the ones who benefit are the less prudent who don't manage their financial affairs as well the rest of us.
John

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”