Dynasties

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dynasties

Post by david63 »

Anyone else been watching this incredible series on the BBC?

This week's with the penguins was brilliant - especially at the end when you saw the camera team digging out the steps so that they could get out of the gully.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Dynasties

Post by oldbluefox »

I have seen both programmes so far and each has been absolutely fascinating. A brilliant series as usual from the Attenborough stable.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 10:41
I have seen both programmes so far and each has been absolutely fascinating. A brilliant series as usual from the Attenborough stable.
Will wildlife documentaries ever be as good when he eventually hangs up his microphone.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 10:46
Will wildlife documentaries ever be as good when he eventually hangs up his microphone.
Probably not but only due to the respect that he is accorded, and his commentary.

I don't know how involved he is with the actual production these days - he certainly did not appear to spend nine months in isolation in the Antarctic. He may be involved in the post production.

Irrespective of his involvement there will still be the camera, production and editing teams who are just as capable of producing a wildlife documentary.

I suspect that the big "pull" that David Attenborough has is the ability to get the funding for such ventures - apparently this series took over four years to produce, but no doubt the Beeb will recoup that cost, and more, when they sell the rights around the world.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Absolutely first class productions, then on the other hand there's Big Brother...enough said !!
Mel

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

screwy wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 11:52
Absolutely first class productions, then on the other hand there's Big Brother...enough said !!
......... and I'm a Celebrity (nobody has ever heard of!!) :lol:
Like his father before him his voice is iconic. He certainly knows how to describe a scene.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 20 Nov 2018, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Really enjoying the series and as has already been said Attenborough seems to bring everything to life.

Production teams generally don't interfere with mother nature but on this occasion there was nothing to gain.....bet they don't do the same next week with the lions :)

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

oldbluefox wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 12:11
screwy wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 11:52
......... and I'm a Celebrity (nobody has ever heard of!!) :lol:
Like his father before him his voice is iconic. He certainly knows how to describe a scene.
Who was David Attenborough's father and what was he famous for - not heard of him myself.
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Take no notice of me Jan. I was thinking of that Dimbleby chappy!!!! Fake news!!! :oops:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

oldbluefox wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 17:57
Take no notice of me Jan. I was thinking of that Dimbleby chappy!!!! Fake news!!! :oops:
Well I did google Frederick Attenborough (David's father) - a well known academic and he had connections to Leicester University - I wondered if you knew more about him but you obviously had a "senior" moment - easily done ;)
Janis

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 18:34
oldbluefox wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 17:57
Well I did google Frederick Attenborough (David's father) - a well known academic and he had connections to Leicester University - I wondered if you knew more about him but you obviously had a "senior" moment - easily done ;)
Well I read the post and nodded in agreement Foxy, clever you for picking up on it Jan.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Looking forward to the next episodes as I recuperate. Just glad to be here and alive to watch them after suffering a serious, life threatening event.
Last edited by wolfie on 20 Nov 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sorry to read about your illness, Wolfie but pleased to see that you are making a good recovery. Quite a few names haven't been on the forum recently and, although you notice their absence, it is not easy to ask if anyone knows if they are o.k. without feeling that you are prying. Anyway, welcome back.

Maureen

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

wolfie wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 23:19
Looking forward to the next episodes as I recuperate. Just glad to be here and alive to watch them after suffering a serious, life threatening event.
Wolfie - I always chuckle when I see your profile photo but being serious now take care and hope you'll feel better soon. I agree with Maureen about missing people on the forum - hope all are well and have just stopped participating for reasons other than ill health.
Janis

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We record two different programs at the time this is/was being transmitted so couldn't watch this one as well. After reading the Topic I downloaded the one about Penguins, fantastic but in all honesty I think we have seen enough chimps and lions over the years so will give those a miss.

ps … I do hope you make a full recovery Wolfie :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

;) Sorry to hear you have not been well wolfie. I hope you make a good recovery.

I would try the programme about the chimps Mob. It's not your normal run of the mill documentary, more of a "Chimpy Drama" :thumbup:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

welcome back! xx
Meg
x

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Yep! Sorry to hear you've been feeling woof, wolfie

Chin up

:wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You been trying to open your wallet again wolfie.

Seriously, hope you're on the mend. :thumbup:

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Thanks for the good wishes.

15 broken ribs, 2 broken collar bones and 2 punctured lungs later, and thanks to a great trauma surgeon, I am alive to tell the tale of the stupid lorry driver that dragged MY car over me whilst it was parked and I was standing by the open drivers door. He got some points and a fine and I got life changing injuries.

I could get a lot of money for all the titanium screws and bolts in my chest!!!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Oh how awful, it sounds as though you were a mess! I do hope you are ok now.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 11:49
…. I would try the programme about the chimps Mob. It's not your normal run of the mill documentary, more of a "Chimpy Drama" :thumbup:
Thanks for the heads up, OBF, I downloaded it but we were in all honesty somewhat disappointed with this one and gave up part way through.

I will attempt to re-kindle my image of chimps as being little placid fellers who drink tea.

:wave:

ps …. Good grief ' Wolfie ', it's a wonder you're still with us, I assume the lorry driver was unhurt ;)

Last edited by Manoverboard on 23 Nov 2018, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

wolfie wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 23:55

15 broken ribs, 2 broken collar bones and 2 punctured lungs later, and thanks to a great trauma surgeon, I am alive to tell the tale of the stupid lorry driver that dragged MY car over me whilst it was parked and I was standing by the open drivers door. He got some points and a fine and I got life changing injuries.

Unbelievable - I cannot visualise how that could have happened!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

wolfie wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 23:55

Good grief, wolfie. That's awful. You must be made of stern stuff to cope with all that. Mind you, I wouldn't go too near too many security scanners with all that metal in you. I think every bell, whistle and buzzer will go off.

Maureen

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Another excellent program last night - the close-up photography of the lions was spectacular.

It just goes to show that it is a cruel world out there for the wildlife.

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”