Have a fab time.
Gill

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: P&O Suite v Cunard Princess Grills

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Thank you. All good so far. And ship looking far far better than I expected having seen negative comments about her being tired ahead of next year's refit. In better nick than my house!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 May 2019, 16:29
Thank you. All good so far. And ship looking far far better than I expected having seen negative comments about her being tired ahead of next year's refit. In better nick than my house!

Well that's not hard going by the state you left it. In a hurry were we.

5613042126_56fec6d5f3_o.jpg

Have a great time ;) :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 04 May 2019, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Off again Merv ;) and in a suite - there's posh :lol:

Seriously though I'm only jealous - have a great time :thumbup:
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We paid for it Jan. BBC pension ;) :D

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 04 May 2019, 16:29
Have a wonderful time. May see you in a week or so :D

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Have a wonderful time and let us know how it was when you get back😁

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Mervyn,

Just spotted a comprehensive review of a recent cruise on QV in PG, complete with some decent photographs: https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/20 ... cape-town/

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks Annie. We'll definitely have to meet for a drink on board. But don't tell Stephen.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You'll need your cabin card annie ;) :D

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Ignore him Annie. Trish will pay. PM us your cabin number and we can contact you on board.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

He meant PIN Number rather than Cabin Number of course ….
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quick update. Very much enjoying the suite experience so far. The best bit to date is breakfast. Between the Epicurean and our butler bringing us room service when we had an early trip we've completely avoided the riff raff at the buffet food fight so far.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

We're also drowning in champagne. Half a bottle for loyalty. A bottle for the suite. And somewhere I must have let on it was our wedding anniversary yesterday. A card, another bottle (a better one!) more chocolates and a £30 spa voucher, which Trish has just spent on a manicure, hand massage and nail job. By the way despite the no tips policy now, which is widely mentioned in Horizon and around the ship, they still add 10% to spa prices.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 08 May 2019, 14:44
We're also drowning in champagne. Half a bottle for loyalty. A bottle for the suite. And somewhere I must have let on it was our wedding anniversary yesterday. A card, another bottle (a better one!) more chocolates and a £30 spa voucher, which Trish has just spent on a manicure, hand massage and nail job. By the way despite the no tips policy now, which is widely mentioned in Horizon and around the ship, they still add 10% to spa prices.

Hope you got your compo claim in pronto

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm emailing Cubie for the pro-forma right now. ☺☺

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Stage 1 complete. Disembarked Azura this morning. I must say we very much enjoyed the P&O suite experience. I'd agree the best bit was the Epicurean breakfast away from the buffet bunfight and more serene than the MDR. In fact apart from the odd afternoon cake we avoided the buffet altogether, with lunches mostly being working our way through the freebie fruit basket.

Now I'm ready to be called a snob, but I have one negative. After two years away I don't thing P&O has gone downhill but the passengers certainly have! I'm sure the drinks package, which they pushed very hard over the first 2 days, hasn't helped. I've never before seen quite the number of loud, brash, intoxicated people on one cruise before. It's quite depressing to see so many wandering about with glass in hand all day from the opening of the first bar to the closing of the last, determined to make sure they get their money's worth. Fortunately we were mostly able to avoid them.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Told you that Epicurean was good for breakfast :thumbup:
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 11 May 2019, 14:38
I've never before seen quite the number of loud, brash, intoxicated people on one cruise before. It's quite depressing to see so many wandering about with glass in hand all day from the opening of the first bar to the closing of the last, determined to make sure they get their money's worth.
I wonder if the length of the cruise/time of year/ship/itinerary has any bearing on that?
Last edited by david63 on 11 May 2019, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I've never before seen quite the number of loud, brash, intoxicated people on one cruise before. It's quite depressing to see so many wandering about with glass in hand all day from the opening of the first bar to the closing of the last, determined to make sure they get their money's worth. Fortunately we were mostly able to avoid them.
Oh dear. That doesn't bode well for our cruise on Azura next April ---- looks like it will be our first on her and may well be our last if it is as bad as that. :( :(

Maureen

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We used to like Azura but after our last one in the Caribbean last year I wouldn't be in a hurry to go on her again :(
When on FO in January lots of people had the drinks package and we never noticed the type of behaviour you have mentioned.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The drinks package issue may also be due to the "novelty" factor and it will settle down

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote: 11 May 2019, 15:03
Told you that Epicurean was good for breakfast :thumbup:
I've never before seen quite the number of loud, brash, intoxicated people on one cruise before. It's quite depressing to see so many wandering about with glass in hand all day from the opening of the first bar to the closing of the last, determined to make sure they get their money's worth.
I wonder if the length of the cruise/time of year/ship/itinerary has any bearing on that?
That may be. The prices for this trip were very good. It may be that certain 7 night cruises are the new booze cruises!

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Kenmo1 wrote: 11 May 2019, 15:16
I've never before seen quite the number of loud, brash, intoxicated people on one cruise before. It's quite depressing to see so many wandering about with glass in hand all day from the opening of the first bar to the closing of the last, determined to make sure they get their money's worth. Fortunately we were mostly able to avoid them.
Oh dear. That doesn't bode well for our cruise on Azura next April ---- looks like it will be our first on her and may well be our last if it is as bad as that. :( :(

Maureen
Don't be put off. It's comparative to the "old days" when cruises were more expensive in real terms and there was no such thing as a drinks package. And as I say we were mostly able to avoid them and there were still a lot of nice people about. They seem to live in Brodies. The Planet Bar was still a calmer oasis. They were still a minority, albeit more than before in our view. But we are self confessed snobs!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 11 May 2019, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

To add on a much more positive note we saw two new shows, Evolution and Astonishing, and loved both, particular the latter. A change from rehashes of the same old material.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 11 May 2019, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Midlandslass
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Midlandslass »

Hope you enjoy your grills experience.
Go up to the restaurant when you embark and check out where your table is.
If you don't like the position have a word with the Maitre D' and he may be able to move you.
If there's a particular favourite meal you enjoy it's worth asking if the chef will make it for you. They can only say no, just give a days notice.

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”