Brexit

Chat about anything here

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 938
Joined: March 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by screwy » 11 Sep 2019, 09:08

Stephen wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:12
screwy wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:57
Stephen wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:07


If tastes good why not. Although I'm mainly an Australian wine drinker.

Spend a fiver :shock: . I'd want a meal out as well for that.
Still can up North,it’s only you Southerners getting ripped off.Lol

Trouble is screwy, I can't bring myself to even try tripe :)
Better than Jellied Eels ,trust me...
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 938
Joined: March 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by screwy » 11 Sep 2019, 10:36

The Scottish Courts rule the decision to Prorogue Parliament was unlawful.! Brexit is dead the Tory party is dead and so is democracy, the losers have won...my opinion only.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10082
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Brexit

Post by Stephen » 11 Sep 2019, 11:48

towny44 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 08:40
Stephen wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:12
screwy wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:57


Still can up North,it’s only you Southerners getting ripped off.Lol

Trouble is screwy, I can't bring myself to even try tripe :)
But you have no problems writing it every day!!!

I'd rather write it than eat it John :lol: :thumbup:

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10082
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Brexit

Post by Stephen » 11 Sep 2019, 11:57

screwy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:36
The Scottish Courts rule the decision to Prorogue Parliament was unlawful.! Brexit is dead the Tory party is dead and so is democracy, the losers have won...my opinion only.

As if we're worried what the Jocks think.


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 938
Joined: March 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by screwy » 11 Sep 2019, 12:07

Unfortunately they are still part of the UK.!
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 11 Sep 2019, 12:16

screwy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 12:07
Unfortunately they are still part of the UK.!
The government will appeal to the supreme court screwy, and if that fails, they can take it to the European Court of Justice, the highest court in the EU (of which we are still a member) :crazy:

I note that the UK has still not supplied a commissioner for the EU.
The new commission starts on 1st November.
If we fail to do so, the punishment is expulsion. :shh:

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6013
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Brexit

Post by david63 » 11 Sep 2019, 12:54

screwy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:36
The Scottish Courts rule the decision to Prorogue Parliament was unlawful.
Whether it is or not - what difference is it going to make?

There is the law that we cannot leave without a deal. Apparently there are negotiations taking place to amend the current deal but until those negotiations are concluded there is nothing to discuss.

So if Parliament was sitting all that they would be doing is going over the same old same and not getting anywhere!

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7170
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 11 Sep 2019, 13:27

david63 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 12:54

So if Parliament was sitting all that they would be doing is going over the same old same and not getting anywhere!
After the shenanigans the other night they will be able to sing a few songs to each other. I hear their rendering of The Red Flag was particularly 'memorable' or they could always have a scrummage around the Speaker's chair. It seems that is what Parliament has been reduced to. Perhaps it is time the term 'Honourable' was dropped.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 11 Sep 2019, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7685
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 11 Sep 2019, 14:10

As it was a Scottish Ruling then surely the Scot Nats/Nets/Nits/Nots/Nuts should return to Parliament …. seemples :angel:

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 11 Sep 2019, 14:53

david63 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 12:54
screwy wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:36
The Scottish Courts rule the decision to Prorogue Parliament was unlawful.
Whether it is or not - what difference is it going to make?

There is the law that we cannot leave without a deal. Apparently there are negotiations taking place to amend the current deal but until those negotiations are concluded there is nothing to discuss.

So if Parliament was sitting all that they would be doing is going over the same old same and not getting anywhere!
That is exactly what I was thinking. What is the point? Maybe those who've rejected TM's deal, No Deal and every other option would like to offer a suggestion as to what they would vote for? We know the answer of course. No Brexit. But none of the honourable members have the balls or honesty to say it.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 11 Sep 2019, 16:57

It's a chip chip chip away policy.
Every day of stalling is another day to remaining in.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7170
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 11 Sep 2019, 17:09

I heard a theory put forward the other night that if they delay and delay on Brexit they can turn around and say the result was so long ago it is null and void. They also seem to think young people are more likely to vote to remain whilst the older generation will be dying off so it is in their interests to delay as long as possible and then have another vote. Macabre way of manipulating the voting population but it seems to me they will stop at nothing to change the result.
Parliament in 2016 were so sure that everybody was thrilled to bits with their lot in the EU it was going to be a walk in the park. They clearly had not been listening to the electorate especially in those areas of the country which had been ignored for so long. Best thing to happen because Westminster needed a wake up call.

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 11 Sep 2019, 17:19

And look at the state of them now they've woken up!

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 11 Sep 2019, 19:04

oldbluefox wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 17:09
I heard a theory put forward the other night that if they delay and delay on Brexit they can turn around and say the result was so long ago it is null and void. They also seem to think young people are more likely to vote to remain whilst the older generation will be dying off so it is in their interests to delay as long as possible and then have another vote. Macabre way of manipulating the voting population but it seems to me they will stop at nothing to change the result.
Parliament in 2016 were so sure that everybody was thrilled to bits with their lot in the EU it was going to be a walk in the park. They clearly had not been listening to the electorate especially in those areas of the country which had been ignored for so long. Best thing to happen because Westminster needed a wake up call.
Don't they realise that voters are living longer so the likelihood is there will more oldies, and the country is going through a trough in school leavers, so they might get a surprise if they ever get a second vote.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1822
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Brexit

Post by Ray Scully » 11 Sep 2019, 21:37

Corrupt Judges and a fake Yellowhammer report where will it all end up. :angel:

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 11 Sep 2019, 22:35

Ray Scully wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 21:37
Corrupt Judges and a fake Yellowhammer report where will it all end up. :angel:
In leaving the EU?

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 11 Sep 2019, 22:48

In Corbyn turning the UK into a Venezuela basket case?

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7685
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 12 Sep 2019, 09:12

…. in his own image ?

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 12 Sep 2019, 10:46

So the latest is MPs are clamouring for Parliament to reassemble because a Scottish Court said the current prorogation is illegal. That apparently trumps an English court saying it isn't and they're not prepared to wait for the Supreme Court to adjudicate.

Suppose it had been the other way round and the English court had said it was illegal but the Scottish court said it wasn't. Would they have still held that the Scottish Court trumped the English one?

Strikes me it's like the referendum itself. If it had got the "right" answer by the same margin it would have been legal, binding, not just advisory, not flawed and once in a lifetime.

Or it's like kids. If Mummy says no, ask Daddy.

Surely next week is not so long to wait for a definitive view? We're not leaving with No Deal before then.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 12 Sep 2019, 14:23

ECB goes nuclear and ramps up QE, thus devaluing the Euro.
If the USA retaliates, there could be trouble ahead.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 12 Sep 2019, 14:27

barney wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 14:23
ECB goes nuclear and ramps up QE, thus devaluing the Euro.
If the USA retaliates, there could be trouble ahead.
Why is it ( content edited ) Jack & Gill still think the EU would be better for us?

.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 12 Sep 2019, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10082
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Brexit

Post by Stephen » 12 Sep 2019, 16:54

Hello, what's happened here then. The postman is supposed to deliver not take away :eh:

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 12 Sep 2019, 18:00

Stephen wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 16:54
Hello, what's happened here then. The postman is supposed to deliver not take away :eh:
No idea, I can't remember there was anything more controversial in the post before it was edited?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10082
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Brexit

Post by Stephen » 12 Sep 2019, 18:13

I think GillW replied to your post #7071 which I also 'politely' replied to.

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 12 Sep 2019, 19:43

That EU economy story staggered me. We're supposed to be the one going down the pan because of Brexit but the EU is so shaky before it they already had negative interest rates even before today.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 13 Sep 2019, 08:07

The ECB are pumping 20billion a month into the eurozone to try and stimulate it.
They are also considering helicopter money which literally means that they give money to every person to encourage them to spend.
They are in deep doo doo financially.
Germany has massive cash reserves but will not spend due to brexit uncertainty.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 13 Sep 2019, 08:36

I am sure our remain friends will have an explanation for this economic failure of the EU, no matter how bizarre.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1822
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Brexit

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Sep 2019, 09:54

unnamed (3).jpg
:crazy: :crazy: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10082
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Brexit

Post by Stephen » 13 Sep 2019, 10:16

I must remember to always carry a video camera of some sort when answering the door! Well said though, I'll give him that.



screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 938
Joined: March 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by screwy » 13 Sep 2019, 10:23

Can’t argue with that,my thoughts entirely.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7685
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 13 Sep 2019, 18:00

towny44 wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 08:36
I am sure our remain friends will have an explanation for this economic failure of the EU, no matter how bizarre.
You can only live in hope that a response will be forthcoming to anything that has even a hint of negativity relating to the EU … pity really.


Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 574
Joined: September 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by Ranchi » 14 Sep 2019, 09:15

‘As if we’re worried about what the Jocks think’
‘Unfortunately they are still part of the UK’
‘Scot Nats/nets/nits/nuts’

Who writes this tripe...Lucas & Walliams? No, that’s Little Britain not little England.

Any other groups we should make derogatory statements about?

...and no, I’m not a Scot.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 14 Sep 2019, 09:18

Ranchi wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:15
‘As if we’re worried about what the Jocks think’
‘Unfortunately they are still part of the UK’
‘Scot Nats/nets/nits/nuts’

Who writes this tripe...Lucas & Walliams? No, that’s Little Britain not little England.

Any other groups we should make derogatory statements about?

...and no, I’m not a Scot.
I believe the derogatory comments were being made about the SNP, and surely politicians are fair game for ridicule at any time.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7685
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Sep 2019, 10:13

towny44 wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:18
Ranchi wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:15
‘As if we’re worried about what the Jocks think’
‘Unfortunately they are still part of the UK’
‘Scot Nats/nets/nits/nuts’

Who writes this tripe...Lucas & Walliams? No, that’s Little Britain not little England.

Any other groups we should make derogatory statements about?

...and no, I’m not a Scot.
I believe the derogatory comments were being made about the SNP, and surely politicians are fair game for ridicule at any time.
That ones mine ;)

Let us therefore consider the contribution this Political Group have made on behalf of the UK given that the UK as a whole voted to leave the EU. The SNP are a one trick pony and apart from becoming independent whilst remaining in the EU they have no policies of use to the UK as a whole that spring immediately to mind.

.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 14 Sep 2019, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.


Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 574
Joined: September 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by Ranchi » 14 Sep 2019, 11:43

Certainly no supporter of SNP but that still leaves -nits, nuts, ‘unfortunately they are still part of the U.K.’ and ‘who cares what the Jocks think.’

Scotland is part of the U.K. and as members of the U.K. we should respect what they think as we should respect what the Welsh, and Irish think. As well as other neighbours. It’s very easy to be disparaging about any regional groups ... posh souvernors, tight tykes, thick geordies ( that’s me), secretive Welsh. but it doesn’t help move on the discussion one jot.

On a lighter note here is a song:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... Vy7faNKEtM

by Fascinating Aida.
Last edited by Ranchi on 14 Sep 2019, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 14 Sep 2019, 13:05

I would be more than happy to show plenty of respect to the Scots, if they were equally willing to show some gratitude for the extra taxpayers money they have spent on them compared to the English.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 574
Joined: September 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by Ranchi » 14 Sep 2019, 13:49

I guess that’s a govt decision- not yours or mine.
Bit Of Dickensian forelock touching is obviously what you require to show respect.
Last edited by Ranchi on 14 Sep 2019, 14:01, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 14 Sep 2019, 17:24

I've no problem with the Scots. I would have more time for Mrs Krankie if she put the views of more than 17m Brits who voted to leave above those of fewer than 2m Scots who voted to stay.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 14 Sep 2019, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7685
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Sep 2019, 17:49

How can you expect me to respect a Party who's only declared ambition is to break up the UK … sorry, no can do.

The other minority Parties, Welsh and N Irish, have their vested interests of course but will do so from within the UK. These I do respect.

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 14 Sep 2019, 21:55

On a different tack I think Call Me Dave has been utterly disgraceful in his promotion of his memoirs. Not a word of apology for the mess he created. And sneering at those who've tried to deliver the promise he made before he cut and run. What a cynical hypocritical toe rag. I won't be buying his book. I hope they end up where they deserve. Pulped to make toilet rolls. I'll buy one of those!

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 14 Sep 2019, 22:28

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 21:55
On a different tack I think Call Me Dave has been utterly disgraceful in his promotion of his memoirs. Not a word of apology for the mess he created. And sneering at those who've tried to deliver the promise he made before he cut and run. What a cynical hypocritical toe rag. I won't be buying his book. I hope they end up where they deserve. Pulped to make toilet rolls. I'll buy one of those!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7685
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 15 Sep 2019, 08:39

' Call me toe rag Dave ' is just trying to sell his book no doubt … count me out too :thumbdown:

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4853
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 15 Sep 2019, 09:32

I do hope the media realise that this is just Dave's assumptions from his perspective, and not necessarily firm and true facts.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7170
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 15 Sep 2019, 12:12

You can be assured the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation will revel in it.Good timing from Call Me Dave, the one who said he was British and we never quit then resigned the day after the result of the referendum. No respect for the slimy little toad at all.

User avatar

Stephen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 10082
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Brexit

Post by Stephen » 15 Sep 2019, 14:04

Him and Blier must have the same genes.


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1822
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Brexit

Post by Ray Scully » 15 Sep 2019, 15:44

download.jpg
Says it all :angel: :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ray Scully on 15 Sep 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7170
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 16 Sep 2019, 17:02

Of course nobody on the Remain side told any porkies. If this isn't Project Fear I don't know what is. And despite what Osborne told us we still voted to leave. How many others were swayed by what he was telling us.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 16 Sep 2019, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 16 Sep 2019, 17:26

oldbluefox wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 17:02
Of course nobody on the Remain side told any porkies. If this isn't Project Fear I don't know what is. And despite what Osborne told us we still voted to leave. How many others were swayed by what he was telling us.
Yeah! But.. But.. But.. But.. But.. :lol:

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9970
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 16 Sep 2019, 18:16

So Luxembourg are putting the boot in. . For three years the EU have done little other than try to punish us for voting to leave. Then when our parliament rejects three times the proposed deal they say they will not negotiate further. If we can't win we're taking the bat and ball home. Now we have a PM talking tough and saying if that's the only deal we'll leave without one. So it's all our fault.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3168
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 16 Sep 2019, 19:43

Therein lies the serious defect in the EU.

Tiny countries about the size of small British towns, overestimating their importance in the scheme of things.

28 member states.
20 of which are financially irrelevant.

The day the Lisbon Treaty kicked in was the day to bail out.

Roll on the end of October.

Return to “General Chat”