J310

Arcadia cruises in 2023

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

J310

Post by david63 »

Just booked this cruise as a replacement for the same cruise that we should have done in 2021

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Re: J310

Post by rogerrovers »

We also have booked this cruise,

Jenny

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A nice bit of crisp Norwegian air should help keep the germs at bay David.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Just had an email from P&O saying that "due to operational reasons" there have been changes to the itinerary for this cruise.

It is now doing it in reverse order (not a problem) but Torshavn and Akureyri have been replaced with Tromso (big problem as we have been and don't particularly want to go again) and, wait for it, Liverpool (even bigger problem). This means that we will be calling at a port that is 45 minutes from home, in a city that I have been to more times than I can remember and will then spend a day at sea getting back to Southampton to have the pleasure of a four hour drive back home passing Liverpool.

This is advertised as a cruise to Norway - how long has Liverpool been in Norway??????

The one surprising thing is that the email has the arrival and departure times for all ports of call - what has happened to P&O's secrecy?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Perhaps you can abscond while in Liverpool.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It does annoy me when they say ‘for operational reason’. Why don’t they just be honest and tell you the real reason. Perhaps we would be more understanding.

Probably down to bl**dy protesters anyway.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 22:43
Perhaps you can abscond while in Liverpool.
Perhaps you could drive his car back from Southampton in time for their arrival at Liverpool :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'll get my mate Fingers O'Flaherty to do it. I know he has a licence. I saw him make it.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 21:28
Just had an email from P&O saying that "due to operational reasons" there have been changes to the itinerary for this cruise.

It is now doing it in reverse order (not a problem) but Torshavn and Akureyri have been replaced with Tromso (big problem as we have been and don't particularly want to go again) and, wait for it, Liverpool (even bigger problem). This means that we will be calling at a port that is 45 minutes from home, in a city that I have been to more times than I can remember and will then spend a day at sea getting back to Southampton to have the pleasure of a four hour drive back home passing Liverpool.

This is advertised as a cruise to Norway - how long has Liverpool been in Norway??????

The one surprising thing is that the email has the arrival and departure times for all ports of call - what has happened to P&O's secrecy?
David, no chance of going to Southampton on the coach and disembarking at Liverpool on the way back?

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

kaymar wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 17:18
David, no chance of going to Southampton on the coach and disembarking at Liverpool on the way back?
That is one of the many options that we are considering - but I hate paying for two days of the cruise that i will not have.

The favourite option at the moment is to go for a similar cruise on another line with the favourite being Princess

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Can you get a refund?

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 18:49
Can you get a refund?
Probably not - unless I can invoke section 40

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 18:52
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 18:49
Can you get a refund?
Probably not - unless I can invoke section 40
You used to be able to transfer bookings between P&O, Cunard and Princess. It might be worth checking if that is still possible.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 19:36
You used to be able to transfer bookings between P&O, Cunard and Princess. It might be worth checking if that is still possible.
The current rules say that the cruise that you transfer to must be of equal, or greater, value - that would not be the case with the Princess one although there is a Cunard cruise but would mean going Queen's Grill level (if there are any suites available - not checked)

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

david63 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 18:46
kaymar wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 17:18
That is one of the many options that we are considering - but I hate paying for two days of the cruise that i will not have.

The favourite option at the moment is to go for a similar cruise on another line with the favourite being Princess
We recently booked J408 to Norway and Iceland in June 2024. Last p.o.c. is Belfast and, living where we do, it would make considerable sense to disembark there and take the short hop across the Irish Sea instead of going on down to Southampton, back up the M6 to Preston then another boat trip back home, taking at least two more days. As you say, that would mean missing the end of the cruise but Belfast to Soton? not all that exciting.

Not sure if we can do that under current rules, however, but almost two years for that to change. I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do, though.

Keith

Teepers
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Teepers »

We are also booked on this cruise and received the same email from P&O, and completely agree with the the odd choice of slotting in Liverpool as a replacement port.
We only live 25 minutes away but thought we will make the most of it, go for a wander round The Walker Art Gallery, World Museum and maybe pop home with a case, unpack and come back to the ship 🤣🤣

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Teepers wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 11:39
We are also booked on this cruise and received the same email from P&O, and completely agree with the the odd choice of slotting in Liverpool as a replacement port.
We only live 25 minutes away but thought we will make the most of it, go for a wander round The Walker Art Gallery, World Museum and maybe pop home with a case, unpack and come back to the ship 🤣🤣
😂😂😂
Brilliant
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The decision has been made - we are cancelling this and have booked a similar cruise with Princess.

Chalgrave4
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Chalgrave4 »

david63 wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 09:59
The decision has been made - we are cancelling this and have booked a similar cruise with Princess.
Good Call

I wonder if enough people do this P&O may get the message that messing things about like this is not good for business

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

They probably have fairly acceptable reasons for the changes, even the rather pointless inclusion of Liverpool as a substitute for Akureyri. But they never share any of this with their customers, which results in a justifiable lack of faith in P&O.
I wonder if they will ever learn from these appalling customer service gaffes.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 11:57
They probably have fairly acceptable reasons for the changes, even the rather pointless inclusion of Liverpool as a substitute for Akureyri. But they never share any of this with their customers, which results in a justifiable lack of faith in P&O.
I wonder if they will ever learn from these appalling customer service gaffes.

I doubt it unless enough people cancel or change cruises like David.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 09:59
I hope you told them the reason why David, in no uncertain terms.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

To some the ports of call are less important than the cruising experience, to others (me included) the ports of call are a major deciding factor.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

David ... Did you invoke Claude 40 per chance ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 12:51
David ... Did you invoke Claude 40 per chance ?
No, Claude was busy, but I am going down the Clause 40 route :lol:

Return to “Arcadia Cruises 2023”