RIP to a great friend

Chat about anything here

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

RIP to a great friend

Post by oldbluefox »

This afternoon I received a telephone call from Manoverboard's son who informed me that his father had passed away on on Sunday/Easter Monday. He had been suffering on several fronts over the past 10 weeks and eventually was taken into hospital 6 weeks ago.

Needless to say I am extremely sad to hear this news as, although I had never met him, through the forum he had become a close friend to me and I know, to many others. We shall definitely miss his wit and dry sense of humour. As a moderator he was a very staid sounding board when problems arose, and managed any situation with firmness and fairness and invariably his own brand of humour to defuse a situation.

I feel the forum has lost a long serving and respected member who will be sadly missed by us all.

RIP Mob and may all your sailings be fair weather ones.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: RIP to a great friend

Post by barney »

I echo all of that.
He always came across as a genuinely nice bloke.
RIP Moby
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That is very sad news. I never knew him personally but regarded him as a gentleman from his postings on here.

RIP Moby

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

So sorry to hear this sad news, although I had my suspicions things weren’t right.

I’m sure I speak for all members of the forum who conversed on here with Moby as we called him that he will be sadly missed.

RIP Moby
Last edited by Stephen on 02 Apr 2024, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I echo everything thats been said.
RIP Moby.
Gone but never forgotten.
Mel

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Devastating news about our dear friend Moby. I’m sure Foxy’s heartfelt tribute echoes what many of us are thinking right now.

Rest in peace Mob…You will be greatly missed.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Sad news - RIP Moby - always thought he was a bit of a character with a wealth of knowledge - he will be missed.
Janis

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

R.I.P. Moby.

we'll miss you.

On reflection - I'm not sure I even knew his 'proper' name - but counted him as a friend even so!
Last edited by Meg 50 on 02 Apr 2024, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
x

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

So sad to hear of the passing of Manoverboard, Moby.
We knew him as a community friend through his posting, RIP Moby.
Don't worry, be happy

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

R. I. P. MOBY.

I echo everyones comments, Moby was a major contributor to our forum, and his wit and humour will be sorely missed, goodbye dear friend.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I actually met him briefly when we were invited to the naming ceremony of Adonia back in 2011 when he his wife were behind us in the queue waiting to board.

He had a wealth of cruising and restaurant knowledge and I’m sure helped many newcomers to cruising as well as old hands on this forum.

He will be missed.
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Apr 2024, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

A sad day.

Like Stephen I also had the good fortune to meet him and his wife at the Adonia naming.

Without any doubt he had an extensive knowledge of world travel that he was only too willing to share with everyone.

On a personal note he was, along with others, an enormous help and support in getting this board up and running in the early days and in later times his "red pen" was invaluable.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Very sad to hear about Moby. He'll certainly be missed.

Carole

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

So sorry to hear this news. He was very kind when I joined the community.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Like Stephen, David and a few others I have also had the pleasure of meeting Mob in person, as with Stephen and David it was when we were invited as guests at the Adonia naming ceremony. Mob, along with his wife approached me saying “hello, who do you think I am” Not letting on, I think I went through about ten possibilities until arriving at the right one. Thinking about it I do recall meeting Stephen the same way. My wife and I were fortunate in that we spent some of the afternoon chatting and indulging ourselves in wine and canapés with them both. It was lovely putting a face to the person I had been conversing with over many years. It’s funny but I had a mind’s eye picture of what Mob would look like…. that was quickly blown apart as he looked nothing like I had imagined.

It must be nigh on twenty years that I have known Mob and, in that time, we have had many interesting conversations, but for the most they were cruise related, indeed some of you will recall me referring to Mob as my personal cruise consultant, “rather expensive but well worth the money” I used to joke. Indeed, there was only one occasion that I deviated from his suggested tour route and as a result I spent the rest of the evening being chastised by my wife saying “I wished you’d taken Mobs advice”. I can honestly say our cruises were all the better for tapping in to Mobs vast cruise knowledge and experience.

It was interesting that David should mention the use of “Red Pens” when referring to Mobs Moderator skills, on that score, I believe I must take a lot of credit for the way Mob honed his skills, this is mostly due to being on the receiving end of many of his deleted posts…I remember on more than one occasion PMing him saying that I forgive him for his dirty deed. That being said, I think through Mobs considered approach and the fairness in which he went about these dastardly deeds I myself have learnt a few valuable lessons in life.

Thank you, Mob

You certainly gained my respect and will be remembered fondly.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

His sad departure and the tributes only serve to remind us what a friend who was to many.....

..and to raise once again the question, what on earth were P&O thinking when they drew up the Adonia guest list? :-)

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

They knew class when they saw it :D
Last edited by Stephen on 03 Apr 2024, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Sad news indeed, I didn't know him personally but he was a familiar poster that you could relate to.
R.I.P Moby

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Crossed the bar, picked up the pilot, and now Rest in peaceful haven M.O.B.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Oh that is sad news. He was such a wealth of cruising information, I will miss him.

Li dsey

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Just picked up this sad news from Stephen's recent tribute.

Like the majority of members, I never met Moby but we exchanged occasional messages and his posts always seemed to reflect his character - friendly, wise, amusing and helpful, so that I felt as though I actually knew him. At peace now, but he will be sadly missed by the forum as well as, undoubtedly, those who really knew and loved him.

Return to “General Chat”