Arcadia Suites

Discussions about anything related to Arcadia

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Arcadia Suites

Post by emjay45 »

We are considering doing another World cruise in 2015 providing my son is able. We thought of going on the Arcadia for a change. However I’m not sure about the suites. I’ve read on here that the aft suites have lovely large balconies and we thought that would be lovely. The size of the suites on the Aurora are 520 sq. ft. and on the Arcadia 606sq ft. I thought that would mean they would be a really good size. However I read a review of this year’s World cruise on the Arcadia by a lady who had booked an aft suite, and was bitterly disappointed that is was not much larger than a balcony cabin. I have checked on the virtual tour of Arcadia. If you click on B deck the inside cabin come up first. Erm no it isn’t an inside cabin but a very large, very nice suite. :? Similarly the same for the outside cabin etc., except the suite which looks just like a balcony cabin. I'm not sure therefore, if that is the suite I suspect the suite that is showing as every other cabin, is not in fact even on the Arcadia but is the Penthouse suite on the Adonia. I wonder if someone who has been in an Arcadia aft cabin can confirm this please.

sandie3
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Arcadia Suites

Post by sandie3 »

We had a suite on Arcadia last year, it was the Rio suite on B deck half way long the deck. Compared to the balcony cabin we usually have on Arcadia, it was much much bigger. We couldn't fault it.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We visited an aft suite on a recent cruise. The Balcony was wrap around and was fabulous. I think it was called the Barcelona suite but maybe getting confused as we were on it sailing out of Barcelona.

The cabin itself was more disappointing. It was great for 2 pax but if a third was in there it was a bed settee with a small curtain to separate from the other bed.

I would say it is at least 3 times larger than the normal balcony cabin.

It had a large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath. A hallway and lots of wardrobe space.

Sue

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Emjay,

We had an aft corner suite on B Deck on Arcadia. I can't find our photos, but as I recall it we entered through a door which didn't point to the aft of the ship, but to the side. One step in and the bathroom was straight ahead, then we sort of turned left a step or so to be in the main part of the suite. I don't recall any curtains between the bedroom area and the lounge area, but there was a lot of storage space. I think that there was only one door out onto the balcony which whilst it was quite wide and had the bit down the side of the ship, wasn't extremely deep (from patio door to balcony edge).

It was a really lovely suite, there was an area for the kettle and stuff, and a really lovely tea chest with an assortment of various tea, coffee and chocolate sachets, and really scrummy biscuits. I will try and dig out those photos. As far as I can remember there were possibly a couple of suites in between our suite and the other corner suite.

Em :)

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We had the Auckland Suite - D181 - and it had a huge balcony which went round the corner at the side of the ship so we had somewhere to sit whether we wanted sun or shade. The suite itself was a good size. It had a curtain which shut off a sort of dressing area - there wasn't a curtain that separated the sleeping area from the sitting area. Hope this helps.

Carole

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Emjay,

We had an aft corner suite on B Deck on Arcadia. I can't find our photos, but as I recall it we entered through a door which didn't point to the aft of the ship, but to the side. One step in and the bathroom was straight ahead, then we sort of turned left a step or so to be in the main part of the suite. I don't recall any curtains between the bedroom area and the lounge area, but there was a lot of storage space. I think that there was only one door out onto the balcony which whilst it was quite wide and had the bit down the side of the ship, wasn't extremely deep (from patio door to balcony edge).

It was a really lovely suite, there was an area for the kettle and stuff, and a really lovely tea chest with an assortment of various tea, coffee and chocolate sachets, and really scrummy biscuits. I will try and dig out those photos. As far as I can remember there were possibly a couple of suites in between our suite and the other corner suite.

There are only balcony cabins between the two corner suites on B deck on Arcadia. We were in B171 last year, an aft cabin between the 2 suites.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have had aft suires on B, D and E decks on Arcadia, inluding one when we did Hong Kong back to Southampton three years ago. The suites themselves are much larger than a standard balcony cabin, but more of a very large cabin inas much as they are very much one room. There is ample storage and a small, very useful dressing area and the bathroom is spacious - by ship standards.

The balcony however, cannot be beaten and that makes them fabulous. Sitting/ lying out there, day after day was wonderful. The suites and balconies on D deck are the largest, but are completely covered by the deck above - not a problem for us as we still got LOADS of sun.

A, B, D and E decks all have one aft suite on each deck, one at each corner, whereas C deck has one on each corner plus one next to that on each side.

Hope that helps.
Gill

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

If you've never sailed on Arcadia I recommend you try a shorter cruise first. It's the only ship in the fleet that I've been on that I've hated so much I couldn't wait to get off. I know others feel differently about her, so it's only my opinion.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

There you go, AnnC.

Arcadia is our favourite.

As you say, it's all about opinion.
Empty vessels .. and all that

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Indeed - Arcadia would always be our first choice were we ever to cruise with P&O again. But you wouldn't get us back on Oceana for anything. Just as well we all like different things.
Gill

sandie3
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by sandie3 »

Totally agree, Arcadia would also be our first choice if we chose to sail with P&O again but ofcourse, its all about personal choice.

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Thanks everyone for your replies. :thumbup: I think I'm even more confused now. Will I like Arcadia or not? Perhaps we should stick with the Aurora as we know we love that ship.
Em I would very much like to see your photos if you manage to find them. Thank you.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

ItsmeAnnC wrote:
If you've never sailed on Arcadia I recommend you try a shorter cruise first. It's the only ship in the fleet that I've been on that I've hated so much I couldn't wait to get off. I know others feel differently about her, so it's only my opinion.
I'm with you on this one Ann, I felt exactly the same and couldn't wait to get off, it felt like the longest 35 days of my life ( we did b to b ) it was the only time I have ever returned from a cruise and not felt completely relaxed probably because I was wishing the days away until we got back to Southampton, the highlight was actually packing to come home.

I appreciate there are many that love Arcadia, it just wasn't for me :cry:
Jo

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
ItsmeAnnC wrote:
I'm with you on this one Ann, I felt exactly the same and couldn't wait to get off, it felt like the longest 35 days of my life ( we did b to b ) it was the only time I have ever returned from a cruise and not felt completely relaxed probably because I was wishing the days away until we got back to Southampton, the highlight was actually packing to come home.

I appreciate there are many that love Arcadia, it just wasn't for me :cry:
Oh dear :( It doesn't take much to put me off things. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't hmm :)

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Our first experience of Arcadia was possibly around July - her maiden year. I just never 100% liked her from the onset and we had already booked to go on her again (with Friends) for the New Year. Had it just been the two of us, we would have cancelled the second cruise.

Again, this is just my opinion - possibly why we like Aurora and Oriana so much. It wouldn't do for us all to like the same things.

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Hi Emjay

We were on Arcadia last year in Barcelona Suite C201. Very nice with wrap round balcony. Super views from there.

If you want to see pictures of this suite then go onto Google Search and request P@O cruises/Arcadia-Barcelona suite C201.

Anne

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

I'm not trying to totally put you off - just advising caution. I wouldn't book a lengthy cruise on ANY ship unless I had tried her first on a shorter one.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Emjay, it is only a couple of opinions and many more love Arcadia, I couldn't even tell you what I didn't like about it ( other than just about everything ) I have since been on QV which is the same class ship and absolutely loved it, maybe it was because it was the one and only time I have been on an adult only ship, for me there was absolutely no atmosphere and it was like a ghost ship come 11.00pm, this was a Xmas/New Year cruise so one I would have expected to be quite lively.
Jo

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Thank you all very much for your views. Like Jean we love the Aurora and Oriana. Thank you so much Anne I found those photos and it gave me a good idea what to expect. I must say the balcony does look good and the views would be wonderful. I do though much prefer the suites on the Oriana and the Aurora. I think probably it would be wise for a such long cruise not to risk a ship we have never been on. Thank you all again, it's helped me make a decision. :thumbup:

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Emjay, it is only a couple of opinions and many more love Arcadia, I couldn't even tell you what I didn't like about it ( other than just about everything ) I have since been on QV which is the same class ship and absolutely loved it, maybe it was because it was the one and only time I have been on an adult only ship, for me there was absolutely no atmosphere and it was like a ghost ship come 11.00pm, this was a Xmas/New Year cruise so one I would have expected to be quite lively.
Although I would recommend the suite I am of the same opinion as Jo about the ship. It is my least favourite and we also were pleased to get home. I think that a lot of this was due to the fact that my husband was unwell. {He had a fall in the Bathroom whilst travelling through the Biscay} So we had to make several visits to the medical centre over the course of the two weeks.

Apart from this I really didn't like the layout and we weren't happy with the service in the restaurant so had quite a few meals in the Orchid which we did like .

I too have since travelled twice on the QV which is as Jo says similar in design to Arcadia but we really love it.

However there are many people who think the Arcadia is the best so the only way you can judge for yourself is to take a mini cruise or short trip on it to see what you think.

Our favourite P@O ship is Aurora which is very different to the Arcadia.

Anne

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I have to say that we really liked Arcadia, and found absolutely no fault in the ship, the layout, the accommodation or the restaurant; but that's just our personal opinion. I can clearly remember one particular disembarkation morning and sitting next to a family who were extremely unhappy with their cruise, and I just couldn't understand it.

You are correct Anne, QV is the same layout as Arcadia (well as near as can be), both ships are Vista class, and so is QE. Originally I think that when the keel was laid for what we now know as Arcadia she was destined to be named QV, and that is why if you look at the actual shape of Arcadia's funnel it is a classic Cunard funnel (just painted P&0 yellow). After the keel had been laid the customer (Carnival or Cunard - don't know which) wanted some changes made, and it was decided to keep the ship without the alterations and name it Arcadia for P&O, and order another one with the desired changes added in and name it QV for Cunard.

The only thing I didn't like about Arcadia was the external glass lifts at midships - but then that is just me being a howling great wimp.

We thoroughly enjoyed the aft corner suites - in fact we still like to select an aft suite as often as possible.

However, a favourite ship or a preferred type or location of accommodation is a very personal thing - a bit like kippers! (Some folk eat kippers, others find different uses :D ).

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Boris+ wrote:

The only thing I didn't like about Arcadia was the external glass lifts at midships - but then that is just me being a howling great wimp.

those lifts are the best bit - though it's a bit unnerving when the ship is travelling at speed in one direction and the lift is moving in another
Meg
x

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

We have cruised four times on Arcadia, emjay, and loved them all. We have no complaints, prefer adult-only ships and don't mind being in bed in a quiet ship before midnight. :) We can drink as much as we want well before then and much prefer being up in daylight. The ship is fine, the public rooms are very good, the prom deck wraps right around.........

Can't comment on the quality of the suites, I'm afraid - try dropping cornmillgirl a pm.

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

To be honest it isn’t the ship I’m worrying about so much as the size of the suites. Like Kaymar I don’t mind adult only ships and I like to be in bed fairly early ( do you think it’s our age K). :lol: Good idea about cornmill girl Kaymar I’ll ask her opinion. :thumbup:

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

We like Arcadia Emjay, we've been on her twice now ... I don't consider us old, well at least R isn't ;)

Never had a suite though :cry:

Return to “About Arcadia”