Solo cruiser

Topics for those cruising on their own

Topic author
Mrs Shiney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Solo cruiser

Post by Mrs Shiney »

I'm thinking of booking a cruise in Octber 2023, my first as a solo passenger.
Any advice would be welcome, particularly in regard to Freedom dining (Ventura), it appears you have to book on board using an!App on your phone. I need more information before I book this.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Solo cruiser

Post by CaroleF »

I'd be interested in the answers to this too. I'm beginning to think of cruising again. John and I did over 30 cruises, mostly P&O so I'm very familiar with the ships. Really like Aurora and Arcadia.

Carole

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I don't think you need to worry too much about using the app, if you can't, or don't want to use it, I am fairly certain you will still be looked after when you go to the MDR.
However if you possess a smart phone and can surf the web, then you will easily be able to use the app, which is actuslly only a web page on the ships intranet, and there are staff on board to help you set it up, and it is very easy to use, as well as free to use.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Mrs Shiney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mrs Shiney »

Thanks, that helps a lot. Silver Shiney and myself only did Club dining, but I think I would prefer the flexibility of Freedom dining. We were going to try on it on the next cruise we had planned, sadly cancelled after his death.

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We were on Ventura in June,we booked freedom dining and just turned up ,no problems at all.
Mel

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We have just come back off Aurora and always go freedom dining. It has not changed.

You still just go down to the restaurant and ask for a particular table size and if it is available then you are led to your table, if it isn’t and you are not prepared to share then you will be given a pager which will alert you when a table become available.

We go for a six thirty sitting which being early gives you more chance of getting your choice of table size.
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Aug 2022, 07:25, edited 2 times in total.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I am not sure where or if Flora still posts, but she used to do a lot of solo cruising and may have loads of tips for you.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

A friend is just back from solo cruising on the Arcadia. App worked fine and you are asked if you would like to join others at a table when you turn up at the restaurant.
If you cant use the app then you just queue up. Apparently there were a fair number of elderly cruisers who either didnt have an android phone to support the app or did but coulnt work it. It's not really a big issue.
You are asked to use it to book the theatre but once in there everyone was sat together!!!

Solo cruising is a lovely way if merying people.
Lindsey

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We did use the app to join the virtual queue but spoke with many who didn’t.
They just walked down and either went in if sharing or a pager for table for two.
It worked very well although I would add that the ship was well under capacity.
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

The app was great and very straightforward to use, I liked the fact you could check your spending and book speciality restaurants, excursions and entertainment with it.
The entertainment bit always seemed to show unavailability due to a glitch and when we asked we were told either just to turn up on the night or book through reception.
I thought it was a handy bit of kit.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Interesting that you mention a glitch Foxy because when I tried to book Sindhu for the second occasion, it wouldn’t let me.
I went to reception and explained the problem.
The young lady called Sindhu on the landline and when it was answered, gave the phone to me.
I booked that way.
Later I checked the app again and it still showed unavailable.
With the theatre, we just rocked up without booking.
Last edited by barney on 09 Aug 2022, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Mrs Shiney
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mrs Shiney »

Thanks for all the advice.

I have now booked a 10 night cruise to Western Europe on Ventura for October 2023. The itinerary seems similar to others mentioned on here.

One more question, on a 10 night cruise, how any formal nights are there likely to be?

It has been been good to think about cruising again, and log back in to this cruise community, although with some apprehension about cruising as a single passenger.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Mrs Shiney wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 20:00
I have now booked a 10 night cruise to Western Europe on Ventura for October 2023. The itinerary seems similar to others mentioned on here.

One more question, on a 10 night cruise, how any formal nights are there likely to be?
Normally there would be 2 for a 7 night cruise and 4 for a 14 night cruise ... I would guess maybe 3 for a 10 night cruise. The cruise personaliser should/will detail this and tell you which nights they will be.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

On my recent 12 night cruise there were 3 formal nights.
I hope you have better luck with information coming from P&O than I did. In truth they never did reveal how many there would be. When I contacted them the young lady on the other end politely waffled away and when I said no, she hadn't really answered my query she went off to ask someone else and came back with two formal nights. Stephen's mates on another forum decided there would be three so that's what we went with and they were right.
Even on embarkation day the cruise personaliser still said we would be informed closer to the cruise date!!! My guess, for what it is worth is 3.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I personally feel three formal nights is too many on a ten night cruise. One a week is plenty.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’m on Ventura at the moment and there are three formal nights. There was a Celebration Night which I checked and found to be formal and a further two Black Tie - I had originally packed two formal dresses so I know I could have worn one twice but having a flippin wardrobe full of “cruise clothes” wouldn’t have been happy!!!

In Lisbon today - blue skies - going on hoho bus later - we have an overnight stay here.
Janis

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

We like Lisbon Jan and like you have an overnight stay in 2024. A bit cooler here today with over cast sky, thank goodness.

Enjoy your day

Return to “Cruising for Single Travellers”