Brexit

Chat about anything here
User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 07 Feb 2019, 17:03

towny44 wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 16:29
barney wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 15:23
I didn't even realise that they had held two John but definitely remember the last one. We were definitely in the EU. I remember Cameron telling them that the only way they could remain in the EU was to stick with the UK. Politicians getting it wrong? Who'd a thought it?. If the majority vote to leave the UK I'm cool with that. That's sort of how it's supposed to work.
I agree totally Barney, if they achieve a majority leave vote, then democracy demands that we all agree, even the remain voters.
I expect the Tories would be happy with that.

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 07 Feb 2019, 17:06

But.. but... Scotland voted to remain with the UK. I've been told incessantly that democracy demands that the vote is respected.

How are they going to achieve a majority leave vote, as having a second referendum would betray Willo The People.
Gill

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 07 Feb 2019, 17:27

Gill W wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 17:06
But.. but... Scotland voted to remain with the UK. I've been told incessantly that democracy demands that the vote is respected.

How are they going to achieve a majority leave vote, as having a second referendum would betray Willo The People.
All they have to do is petition the Government on the grounds that things have substantially changed and ask for another referendum in Scotland.
Then, if successful, they can leave the United Kingdom and apply to join the EU.as an independent country.
I'm sure that the EU would welcome them with open arms, assuming that they can meet the joining criteria.
I think it must be set quite low if Albania and Macedonia can get in.

It's not a second referendum Gill, but a new referendum, as the Willow The People was upheld in the previous one.
See the difference ?
The original vote was to stay, so they stayed.
In our case, the vote was to leave, but some are trying their dam hardest to make sure we don't.

For someone who often appears intelligent and has her finger on the pulse, I'm sure you don't need me to explain it.

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 07 Feb 2019, 18:33

Oh, a NEW referendum

*nods sagely*

Whereas a Brexit referendum asking a completely different question, such as May’s deal or no deal, or no deal or Remain, can only be a second referendum.

Okay.....

*notes mental gymnastics required to be a Leave voter*

Patronising comment at the end also noted
Last edited by Gill W on 07 Feb 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 07 Feb 2019, 18:37

I don't mean to be patronising dear, it's just that we haven't enacted the original referendum yet. Once that is done, if you want to call for another to join the EU, be my guest. Jack will support you.


anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 405
Joined: December 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by anniec » 07 Feb 2019, 18:47

anniec wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:47
barney wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:37
I don't mean to be patronising dear, it's just that we haven't enacted the original referendum yet. Once that is done, if you want to call for another to join the EU, be my guest. Jack will support you.
Wow! I'm a committed leaver, but this is deliberate unpleasantness.

Can't we all just play nicely and agree that sometimes there are no right or wrong opinions, just different ones?


anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 405
Joined: December 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by anniec » 07 Feb 2019, 18:48

Double post, sorry.


anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 405
Joined: December 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by anniec » 07 Feb 2019, 18:48

Sorry, triple post. :D

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 07 Feb 2019, 19:08

anniec wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:47
anniec wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:47
barney wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:37
I don't mean to be patronising dear, it's just that we haven't enacted the original referendum yet. Once that is done, if you want to call for another to join the EU, be my guest. Jack will support you.
Wow! I'm a committed leaver, but this is deliberate unpleasantness.

Can't we all just play nicely and agree that sometimes there are no right or wrong opinions, just different ones?
At the risk of being accused of sexism, why did you not consider Gill's initial post as being unpleasant?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 07 Feb 2019, 21:12

Don't bring sexism into it, it's nothing to do with sexism.

If you've got an issue with any of my posts speak to me about it, don't have a discussion with Barney about it as if I wasn't here.
Gill

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 07 Feb 2019, 21:21

anniec wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:47
anniec wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:47
barney wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 18:37
I don't mean to be patronising dear, it's just that we haven't enacted the original referendum yet. Once that is done, if you want to call for another to join the EU, be my guest. Jack will support you.
Wow! I'm a committed leaver, but this is deliberate unpleasantness.

Can't we all just play nicely and agree that sometimes there are no right or wrong opinions, just different ones?
Don't worry, Annie, I'm used to all this, it goes with the territory.

It's a bit like this Donald Tusk thing. It wasn't diplomatic what he said, but Johnson and Gove have said some awful things about the EU. Eventually someone will bite back, and then they don't like it.

It's the same here, lots of inflammatory things have been said by the 'boys', and when anybody bites back, they don't like it so much.
Gill

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 07 Feb 2019, 22:58

Gill W wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 21:12
Don't bring sexism into it, it's nothing to do with sexism.

If you've got an issue with any of my posts speak to me about it, don't have a discussion with Barney about it as if I wasn't here.
I was responding to Annie's post, although I accept that anyone would be able to read it and, as I have said often, I have absolutely no problem with any of your comments, just as long as you extend me the same courtesy. As regards the posts in question I was merely expressing my view that both your's and Barney's comments were heated, but not over the top in the context of these Brexit discussions.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 07 Feb 2019, 23:23

Annie didn't mention sexism, just unpleasantness.

As I've said before, I've no problem with anybody having opinions, including those that are different to mine.

I will, however, comment on posts if I want to know more, or if I think the post is contradictory. I think you believe this is me having a problem with your comments. It's not, but to be on that safe side I won't comment anymore on your posts, so you are free to say whatever you want, with no challenge from me

Can't say fairer than that
Gill

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 08 Feb 2019, 09:44

It helps to have a sense of humour when reading posts from Barney, Towny, Foxy, Merv, OL, Screwy and myself otherwise it is far too easy to elect to be offended … just saying.

Maybe use of the ' ;) ' icon would help.




.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 08 Feb 2019, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 08 Feb 2019, 09:56

Gill W wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 23:23
Annie didn't mention sexism, just unpleasantness.

As I've said before, I've no problem with anybody having opinions, including those that are different to mine.

I will, however, comment on posts if I want to know more, or if I think the post is contradictory. I think you believe this is me having a problem with your comments. It's not, but to be on that safe side I won't comment anymore on your posts, so you are free to say whatever you want, with no challenge from me

Can't say fairer than that
Hi Gill...If you keep washing your hands of members who challenge your opinions you'll soon have no one to argue with...just saying :sarcasm:


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 812
Joined: March 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by screwy » 08 Feb 2019, 10:08

Interesting interview on all out politics this morning,International Customs Expert from Sweden stated the technology is in place to have Exports/Imports without the need for Border checks,it already happens in other countries,said it would take 2-3 yrs to implement here....transition period..? Just saying.
Last edited by screwy on 08 Feb 2019, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9431
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 08 Feb 2019, 10:36

screwy wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 10:08
Interesting interview on all out politics this morning,International Customs Expert from Sweden stated the technology is in place to have Exports/Imports without the need for Border checks,it already happens in other countries,said it would take 2-3 yrs to implement here....transition period..? Just saying.
:thumbup:

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 08 Feb 2019, 10:52

Manoverboard wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 09:44
It helps to have a sense of humour when reading posts from Barney, Towny, Foxy, Merv, OL, Screwy and myself otherwise it is far too easy to elect to be offended … just saying.

Maybe use of the ' ;) ' icon would help.




.
Likewise when reading my posts - but you all seem to lose your sense of humour then! ;)

There's an awful lot of self elected indignation from the majority when it comes to my posts :lolno:
Last edited by Gill W on 08 Feb 2019, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 08 Feb 2019, 11:06

Gill W wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 10:52
Likewise when reading my posts - but you all seem to lose your sense of humour then! ;)
That, Gill, I found to be periodically true but extremely amusing :thumbup:
There's an awful lot of self elected indignation from the majority when it comes to my posts :lolno:
… but then you went into ' victim ' mode, which as you probably know, doesn't always go down too well with us blokes :lol:

;)
Last edited by Manoverboard on 08 Feb 2019, 11:12, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 08 Feb 2019, 12:22

No, I didn't go into victim mode. I noted Barney's patronising comment. However, I didn't feel patronised, as I'm confident enough not to be made to feel inferior. :D
Gill

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 08 Feb 2019, 12:30

Gill W wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 12:22
No, I didn't go into victim mode. I noted Barney's patronising comment. However, I didn't feel patronised, as I'm confident enough not to be made to feel inferior. :D
I should have included a ;) ;) ;) Gill, because it was meant to be funny.
Sorry if it upset you at all.
I love our little banters and would hate to think that you would call it a day over a patronising comment (which was intended as a joke)

Anyway, back to the ironing and preparing tonight's dinner :D

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 08 Feb 2019, 12:39

… and polishing the fingerprints off the wine glasses ;)

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 08 Feb 2019, 14:16

As far as l am concerned remainers have had ample opportunity to change the direction of Brexit and have failed at every hurdle. They now need to stop all this UK bashing and get behind our countries attempts to get the best deal for the UK.

Still loving Theresa :D
Last edited by Onelife on 08 Feb 2019, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 08 Feb 2019, 16:09

barney wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 12:30
Gill W wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 12:22
No, I didn't go into victim mode. I noted Barney's patronising comment. However, I didn't feel patronised, as I'm confident enough not to be made to feel inferior. :D
I should have included a ;) ;) ;) Gill, because it was meant to be funny.
Sorry if it upset you at all.
I love our little banters and would hate to think that you would call it a day over a patronising comment (which was intended as a joke)

Anyway, back to the ironing and preparing tonight's dinner :D
No you didn't upset me, but, as we cant see each other's faces it's sometimes difficult to tell what's meant as a joke and what's serious.

Agree that :crazy: :shock: :roll: :sick: :shh: are the way to go
Gill

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 09 Feb 2019, 12:46

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/n ... spartanntp

This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons should Brexit be delayed.

Imagine if the UK returned 75 anti EU MEPS who would link up with all the other countries anti EU MEPs.
Anti EU MEPs could well end up being a major group in the EU Parliament.

That would go down well with Verhofstadt ! :lol:

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9431
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 09 Feb 2019, 12:52

A report I read yesterday suggested Italy is in the wings to be next to leave. The anti EU sentiment is strong there as they are also shackled by the Euro and have dreadful unemployment.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 09 Feb 2019, 12:56

I was reading an article by a guy who thinks that he may have come up with a compromise to the Irish Backstop issue in the event of no deal.

Why not have a referendum ?

The people of Northern Ireland could be asked the question.

a vote on whether to

Stay in a Customs Union with Ireland, for trade purposes, thus negating a border with Ireland but putting one up with the rest of the UK
Or
To leave the Customs Union with the rest of the UK with the potential for a border of some description in Ireland.

Very simple, tick a box and the majority wins.

Why not asked those most affected what they actually want ?

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 12:58

barney wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:46
This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons should Brexit be delayed.
What fun!
After trashing our own country we can go ahead and trash a continent.

I wonder who could possibly benefit from that happening, hmmmmmmm.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 09 Feb 2019, 13:02

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:52
A report I read yesterday suggested Italy is in the wings to be next to leave. The anti EU sentiment is strong there as they are also shackled by the Euro and have dreadful unemployment.
I fear that Italy may be in too deep, debt wise, to really consider such a thing.
A bit like Greece was.
We are in a unique position of being outside of the Eurozone, so it's a lot easier.

There is a lot on anti EU sentiment across Europe at the moment, as the European Parliament elections will show.

Not that this makes much difference to how the EU operate.
The Commission make the decisions, not the Parliament.
That is just a talking shop and is there to ratify what the commission has decided.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 09 Feb 2019, 13:04

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:58
barney wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:46
This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons should Brexit be delayed.
What fun!
After trashing our own country we can go ahead and trash a continent.

I wonder who could possibly benefit from that happening, hmmmmmmm.
Democracy Jack !
Remember that ?
They ask you to vote, and should accept the result.
If they don't want to know what the people of Europe think, then don't ask them.
It's not like they take any notice anyway.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 09 Feb 2019, 13:19

barney wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:56
I was reading an article by a guy who thinks that he may have come up with a compromise to the Irish Backstop issue .....
… and I was hearing about a software solution to the backstop situation, tis based on a system used in Sweden I believe. :clap:

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 13:24

Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:19
… and I was hearing about a software solution to the backstop situation, tis based on a system used in Sweden I believe. :clap:
I thought you were against freedom of movement?
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 09 Feb 2019, 13:49

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:58
barney wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:46
This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons should Brexit be delayed.
What fun!
After trashing our own country we can go ahead and trash a continent.

I wonder who could possibly benefit from that happening, hmmmmmmm.
Not trashing it Jack, this should be about repairing it and giving control back to nation states and abolishing the commission.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 09 Feb 2019, 14:04

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:24
Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:19
… and I was hearing about a software solution to the backstop situation, tis based on a system used in Sweden I believe. :clap:
I thought you were against freedom of movement?
I understood that it was a software solution to the control of goods rather than people.

ps … for the record I am not against ' freedom of movement ' providing we ( the UK ) dictate the terms of that movement.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 09 Feb 2019, 14:23

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:24
Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:19
… and I was hearing about a software solution to the backstop situation, tis based on a system used in Sweden I believe. :clap:
I thought you were against freedom of movement?
The Common Travel Area between Ireland and the UK long precedes both joining the EU, Jack, and will continue after we have left.

Back in the day, when football clubs had a quota of 'foreign players' the Irish player were never included in this.

I'm against the EU freedom of movement bill, because it actually means not only freedom of movement but freedom to live and work, without any control by the recipient country.
Then on top of that, because of EU equality laws, any EU citizen cannot be discriminated against regarding any benefits.
What that actually means is that any EU worker has the same rights as any UK worker, irrespective of whether they have contributed or not.
That is what sparked the influx under Blair.
Any highly qualified person could come here and take any low paid job, safe in the knowledge that the UK taxpayer would top it up under working benefits.

What they have done in Malta to combat this EU law, is time limited anybody to unemployment benefit.
That includes Maltese nationals.
Six months is the maximum you can claim unemployment benefit and after that, you're on your own.
No more. Nada. Nowt.
Imagine if we did that here. The outrage!
They also have no in work benefits but still attract many eastern Europeans, because it's still better than where they come from.

I'm still convinced that had the EU cut Cameron a bit of slack when he asked, this would have all been avoided.
But they couldn't bring themselves to do it.
Delusuions of grandeur and power overtook reasoning.
They felt that they had to assert to the memebr 'States (Countries)' that they were in control, and to some degree, they still think that they are, although the penny is starting to drop now.

Brexit has made insignificant politicians like Tusk & Juncker into well know 'stars' around the world.
They should thank Farage for that. ;)

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 09 Feb 2019, 14:26

Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:04
Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:24
Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 13:19
… and I was hearing about a software solution to the backstop situation, tis based on a system used in Sweden I believe. :clap:
I thought you were against freedom of movement?
I understood that it was a software solution to the control of goods rather than peopl

ps … for the record I am not against ' freedom of movement ' providing we ( the UK ) dictate the terms of that movement.

:clap:

And so say all of us?....well that's my position Mob

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 14:29

Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:04
I understood that it was a software solution to the control of goods rather than people.

ps … for the record I am not against ' freedom of movement ' providing we ( the UK ) dictate the terms of that movement.
Norway is in Schengen, fine by me, but not with Brexiters.
Norway is also in the EEA. It is in the single market but not the customs union.

So ruled out by Brexiters.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 09 Feb 2019, 14:33

All well and good but my original posting related to software and Sweden.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 14:37

Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:33
All well and good but my original posting related to software and Sweden.
Yes. There is no purpose in backstop software without it involving another country/state/union. I naturally assumed you meant Norway. Otherwise your post was pointless.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 09 Feb 2019, 14:52

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:29
Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:04
I understood that it was a software solution to the control of goods rather than people.

ps … for the record I am not against ' freedom of movement ' providing we ( the UK ) dictate the terms of that movement.
Norway is in Schengen, fine by me, but not with Brexiters.
Norway is also in the EEA. It is in the single market but not the customs union.

So ruled out by Brexiters.
Norway can do what they like Jack.
it is of no consequence to the UK.

Norway's GDP is about $400 billion
The UK's GDP is about $2.6 trillion

For me, Schengen is not fine, EEA is not fine either. Or the Customs Union.
I want our country to be independent for all of these constricting arrangements.

I think we should and will make trade deals with pretty much anyone who wants to do one with us, and that will include the EU, Japan, South Korea etc.
But if they don't, then that's ok as well.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 09 Feb 2019, 17:23

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:37
Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 14:33
All well and good but my original posting related to software and Sweden.
Yes. There is no purpose in backstop software without it involving another country/state/union. I naturally assumed you meant Norway. Otherwise your post was pointless.
Dooh :roll:

The ' point ' is the connection between the software presently being used in Sweden that could be further developed by the UK to solve the backstop situation between the UK and the EU / Ireland. It's funny how you refuse to acknowledge any positive point relating to our imminent departure from the EU.

Never mind you'll get used to it soon enough. 8-)



.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 09 Feb 2019, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 18:04

Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 17:23
Dooh :roll:

The ' point ' is the connection between the software presently being used in Sweden that could be further developed by the UK to solve the backstop situation between the UK and the EU / Ireland. It's funny how you refuse to acknowledge any positive point relating to our imminent departure from the EU.

Never mind you'll get used to it soon enough. 8-)
Just one would be nice.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 09 Feb 2019, 18:57

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 18:04
Manoverboard wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 17:23
Dooh :roll:

The ' point ' is the connection between the software presently being used in Sweden that could be further developed by the UK to solve the backstop situation between the UK and the EU / Ireland. It's funny how you refuse to acknowledge any positive point relating to our imminent departure from the EU.

Never mind you'll get used to it soon enough. 8-)
Just one would be nice.
Jack, you do have a tiresome attitude.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 09 Feb 2019, 19:15

I've seen happier Huddersfield Town supporters!!!

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 19:33

Well I'm perfectly happy!
I have something to look forward to.
Brexiter 'no dealers' have the responsibility of their upcoming debacle on their shoulders for the next fifty years (Farage) or one hundred years (Digby Jones).
Brexiter 'Theresas' have years of negotiations to look forward to. All the time being blamed for the mess by 'no dealers' and remainers.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 09 Feb 2019, 22:14

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 19:33
Well I'm perfectly happy!
I have something to look forward to.
Brexiter 'no dealers' have the responsibility of their upcoming debacle on their shoulders for the next fifty years (Farage) or one hundred years (Digby Jones).
Brexiter 'Theresas' have years of negotiations to look forward to. All the time being blamed for the mess by 'no dealers' and remainers.
I can't speak for others Jack, but l have never been under any illusion that our fully negotiated departure would be completed within the two year transition period, however, l do think we will have up and running mutually beneficial trading arrangements in place by the end of this period.

What we all need to remember is....whether it be Theresa's deal or a no deal we will be leaving the EU... but doing it in a way that allows us time to adjust and expand our trading options has to be the sensible way forward thick is why remainers should be backing Theresa.

Looking forward to being happy about the direction you think Brexit will take this country sounds more like sour grapes to me......but l'll let you off on that one cos you didn't mean it did you Jack?

Keep smiling

Keith

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 09 Feb 2019, 23:05

Onelife wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 22:14
I can't speak for others Jack, but l ....
Thank you Keith for actually trying to engage Keith. It makes a refreshing change on here.
Our "fully negotiated...." may be completed within two years (doubtful on the evidence of the last two) but what about the deal with Japan, Canada, US, Australia....... , we simply don't have the negotiators because we haven't needed them for forty years. Others have fully up to speed people who will decimate our team, led by D.F.D.S. Dr. Fox. Negotiations will continue for decades, to try and return to what we had via the EU. Makes no sense.

No deal is simply not an option, so yes of course I prefer TM the PM's deal. But it is still a great loss. Some would say I worry too much about the economics, but the reality is that economics means the health service, the homeless, our standing in the world, food.

You are correct, I didn't mean that. I simply meant that my way (remain) stands a better chance of 'winning' than certainly no deal and I still believe will actually beat Theresa as well. Even if we do leave, it will not be long before we rejoin. That's why I am still happy.
So no I did not mean I was looking forward to Brexiters suffering when they 'won', as I would be suffering as well.

To be clear I do not think anyone will 'win' out of Brexit, even if it stopped tomorrow (excepting foreign powers and their UK stooges).
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 09 Feb 2019, 23:22

Jack, you really are a worrier and a glass half empty one as well, my glass half full persona suggests that any economic pain will be so slight and gradual as to be hardly worth considering, and you certainly don't need to worry about politicians being cannon fodder for foreign power negotiators, our civil servant always have run the country and will continue to do the leg work, and whilst they complain and grumble about being understaffed, that will only be their next wage claim negotiating ploy.
Look on the bright side Jack, you could be an Italian, Spanish, Greek or Portuguese unemployed under 30 something, instead of a privileged member of the great United Kingdom.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 10 Feb 2019, 10:52

Jack Staff wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 23:05
Onelife wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 22:14
I can't speak for others Jack, but l ....
Thank you Keith for actually trying to engage Keith. It makes a refreshing change on here.
Our "fully negotiated...." may be completed within two years (doubtful on the evidence of the last two) but what about the deal with Japan, Canada, US, Australia....... , we simply don't have the negotiators because we haven't needed them for forty years. Others have fully up to speed people who will decimate our team, led by D.F.D.S. Dr. Fox. Negotiations will continue for decades, to try and return to what we had via the EU. Makes no sense.

No deal is simply not an option, so yes of course I prefer TM the PM's deal. But it is still a great loss. Some would say I worry too much about the economics, but the reality is that economics means the health service, the homeless, our standing in the world, food.

You are correct, I didn't mean that. I simply meant that my way (remain) stands a better chance of 'winning' than certainly no deal and I still believe will actually beat Theresa as well. Even if we do leave, it will not be long before we rejoin. That's why I am still happy.
So no I did not mean I was looking forward to Brexiters suffering when they 'won', as I would be suffering as well.

To be clear I do not think anyone will 'win' out of Brexit, even if it stopped tomorrow (excepting foreign powers and their UK stooges).
Hi Jack,

This past two years have been a sharp learning curve and will no doubt be an even more daunting one for those who may wish to follow in our footsteps...but this situation is what it is and we have to find a way through it.....For better or for worse history will be our judge but to have never tried is to accept what is wrong.

I'm not to worried about our negotiating skills as we won't find ourselves in the same negotiating position we have been in with the EU who didn't want to negotiate because they didn't want us to leave....We will in effect be starting from a relatively level playing field when it comes to negotiating trade deals in a global market place.


Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 537
Joined: September 2014

Re: Brexit

Post by Ranchi » 10 Feb 2019, 11:02

If the politicians had come out on 24th June 2016 waving a document and stating ‘We have a great deal for the UK’ Would there have been 91 pages covering a period 2+ years claiming we have capitulated & should have got a better deal? Is it any surprise that negotiations have been so protracted...after all there are a lot of staff to pay.

Return to “General Chat”