oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 13 Jul 2019, 14:42

Manoverboard wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:34

Always play poker with your cards close to your chest ….. just saying :wave:
Unlike Theresa May and look what a hash she made of it.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Jul 2019, 15:11

Manoverboard wrote:
Ray Scully wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 13:23
But only being aware of part of an agreement so necessary in his exit plans plays into the narrative of not being across his brief, just saying.[/color]
Come on Ray …. :moresarcasm:

First of all Boris will NOT be doing the actual negotiations, he will simply ( not so simply actually ) be paving the way in conjunction with other EU leaders to reach a mutually acceptable settlement … in the knowledge that Boris will walk away if pushed.

Secondly I believe that Boris was right to bumble a tad around the detail, he would have been hopelessly wrong to discuss the finer points of a forthcoming negotiation with the likes of Andrew Mar.

Yep! but just make sure you remember which cards you are holding :relaxed:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 13 Jul 2019, 15:21

Boris will have a 16 point opener in Clubs, he will also hold honours in two other suits ... together no doubt with the Joker ;)

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Jul 2019, 15:39

Manoverboard wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 15:21
Boris will have a 16 point opener in Clubs, he will also hold honours in two other suits ... together no doubt with the Joker ;)
You've lost me :roll:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 13 Jul 2019, 16:03

oldbluefox wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:25
I agree with Mervyn. I find JH a very much grey person, much like Major was, and will say anything to get into power. However look underneath the surface and he is actually promising very little if his plan for leaving the EU is anything to go by.
If he does get into No10 Boris will still be there and a thorn in his side. As PM Boris will need to deliver Brexit. If he succeeds Boris will be vindicated. If he fails that will be the end of him. Call his bluff.
Don't get me wrong, I don't like Hunt either - but I find the prospect of him as PM less terrifying than Johnson.
oldbluefox wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 14:42
Manoverboard wrote:

Unlike Theresa May and look what a hash she made of it.
The problem was that she never had any cards at all
Manoverboard wrote:
Ray Scully wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 13:23
But only being aware of part of an agreement so necessary in his exit plans plays into the narrative of not being across his brief, just saying.[/color]
Come on Ray …. :moresarcasm:

First of all Boris will NOT be doing the actual negotiations, he will simply ( not so simply actually ) be paving the way in conjunction with other EU leaders to reach a mutually acceptable settlement … in the knowledge that Boris will walk away if pushed.

Secondly I believe that Boris was right to bumble a tad around the detail, he would have been hopelessly wrong to discuss the finer points of a forthcoming negotiation with the likes of Andrew Mar.

There's no more negotiations - the EU have made this clear until they are blue in the face. I know Johnson and his ilk are continue to propagate the myth they will negotiate another deal, but this is yet another unicorn that is being peddled. Johnson bumbled, because he was trying to deflect from the fact he's on a wing and a prayer.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 13 Jul 2019, 16:06

Just as an aside from Boris, I see nobody is even trying to pretend anymore that Brexit will be beneficial to the nation!
Gill

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 13 Jul 2019, 16:14

I thought this was excellent. Well done that man who heckled.

Boris the dip stick, like all politicians couldn't answer a straight question if their lives depended on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3956126
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Jul 2019, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Jul 2019, 16:22

Gill W wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:06
Just as an aside from Boris, I see nobody is even trying to pretend anymore that Brexit will be beneficial to the nation!
Interestingly a number of staunch leavers are holding their noses when it comes to Mr Johnson with some suggestion that the Party would have a better chance in a general election under the leadership of Mr Hunt.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 13 Jul 2019, 17:06

Gill W wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:06
Gill, if you look back to some of the earliest posts about this I have repeatedly disputed the claim made by many, including you and Jack, that nobody voted to be poorer. In fact just about everyone who voted had listened to and read the dire warnings from the remain camp that the UK would be poorer outside the EU, but despite these warnings leavers still felt it was a price worth paying to be free of the EU.
However monetary wealth is only one measure of a beneficial life.
Last edited by towny44 on 13 Jul 2019, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 13 Jul 2019, 17:31

Gill W wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:03

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Hunt either - but I find the prospect of him as PM less terrifying than Johnson.
The problem with Hunt is if he gets it we'll still be going round in circles in another 3 years.

If it's Boris either the Leavers will get their wish and we'll be gone. Or the Remainers will get their wish and we'll stay. Either way decided in the next 6 months. The worst option is uncertainty.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 13 Jul 2019, 17:36

Gill W wrote:
There's no more negotiations - the EU have made this clear until they are blue in the face. I know Johnson and his ilk are continue to propagate the myth they will negotiate another deal, but this is yet another unicorn that is being peddled. Johnson bumbled, because he was trying to deflect from the fact he's on a wing and a prayer.
Whatever you may wish to think we will NOT be Remaining in the EU and yon ex Remainer Hunt will NOT be leading the Tory Party to its destruction. The old EU guard have stated their position quite clearly as you pointed out and are unable to move away from it but the new EU guard will not be allowed to sit on their hands while the UK walks away with their lucrative trade deals and approx £40,000,000 buy out clause.

My previous posting had a Contract Bridge connotation, a game of strategy and bluff of course ;) .

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 13 Jul 2019, 18:22

Moby for PM.....seconds?

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 13 Jul 2019, 18:27

Hear hear

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 13 Jul 2019, 18:28

Passed.... you start Monday Moby

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Jul 2019, 18:31

Manoverboard wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:36
Gill W wrote:
Whatever you may wish to think we will NOT be Remaining in the EU and yon ex Remainer Hunt will NOT be leading the Tory Party to its destruction. The old EU guard have stated their position quite clearly as you pointed out and are unable to move away from it but the new EU guard will not be allowed to sit on their hands while the UK walks away with their lucrative trade deals and approx £40,000,000 buy out clause.

My previous posting had a Contract Bridge connotation, a game of strategy and bluff of course ;) .
A partial destruction of the Tory party could easily come about by Labour members voting for a deal very similar to Mrs May's. If that happened I can't see the ERG ideologues being able to remain, paradoxically IMHO this would make them considerably more electable.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 13 Jul 2019, 18:31

Stephen wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 18:28

Surely you're not giving him Sundays off?
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 13 Jul 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Jul 2019, 18:33

Stephen wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 18:22
Moby for PM.....seconds?
I propose Barney :thumbup:

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 13 Jul 2019, 18:36

Ray Scully wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 18:33
I propose to Barney :thumbup:
You old romantic. I doubt he'll accept.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 13 Jul 2019, 18:39

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 18:31
Stephen wrote:

Only this week to rehearse the EU speech I prepared for him earlier...'Get stuffed we're off'

How does it sound. Have I held back a too much.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 13 Jul 2019, 21:14

Stephen wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 18:39
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Only this week to rehearse the EU speech I prepared for him earlier...'Get stuffed we're off'

Hmmm. You are rather sitting on the fence.

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds » 14 Jul 2019, 06:00

Gill W wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 13:37
I thought it was a car crash of an interview. However, every time Johnson is let loose, it’s a car crash. He’s revealed as a bluffing blustering bully, who is trying to ‘wing’ it.

It’s a truly horrifying and frightening thought that, in about 10 days time, this man could be our prime minister.
Good to see you being so cheerful again
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Jul 2019, 08:55

Stephen wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Exactly what we need in the new negotiating team … somebody who is decisive and succinct :clap:

ps … if I do start on Monday could I possibly have Wednesday off … nicely please :angel:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Jul 2019, 09:27

johnds wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 06:00
Gill W wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 13:37
I thought it was a car crash of an interview. However, every time Johnson is let loose, it’s a car crash. He’s revealed as a bluffing blustering bully, who is trying to ‘wing’ it.

It’s a truly horrifying and frightening thought that, in about 10 days time, this man could be our prime minister.
Good to see you being so cheerful again
Whereas positivity and a belief in unicorns will get us through?

I don't think so.
Gill

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 14 Jul 2019, 09:45

Manoverboard wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 08:55
Stephen wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

Exactly what we need in the new negotiating team … somebody who is decisive and succinct :clap:

ps … if I do start on Monday could I possibly have Wednesday off … nicely please :angel:

Only if I get a note from your mum

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Jul 2019, 09:53

Stephen wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 09:45
Only if I get a note from your mum
Got it … I'll dig her up in the morning 8-)

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 14 Jul 2019, 10:08

Fair enough

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Jul 2019, 10:06

I just love the way that EuroNews reported the election of the new Commissioner.

Apparently she won by a majority of 383 :clap:

( it was really a majority of 15 ) - 368 against

gotta love 'em, haven't you. :lol:

Given that she was the only candidate , that's true democracy in action.
There was originally eleven candidates but none made it on to the final list.

Edit > by the way, she was never on the original list.

Where is Jack Staff to defend it ?
Last edited by barney on 17 Jul 2019, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Jul 2019, 10:38

barney wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:06
I just love the way that EuroNews reported the election of the new Commissioner.

Some losers some winners Barney. Interesting to listen to Ben Habib of the Brexit Party on Newsnight yesterday. He certainly has all his financial ducks in a row in the hope of a financial killing with a no-deal exit. However no doubt he won't be on his own.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Jul 2019, 10:46

I fail to see the connection between the Commission 'election' and some bloke nobody has heard of on Newsnight?

Please enlighten me.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Jul 2019, 11:17

Ok Ray, I caught up on Newsnight and watched the discussion.

As suspected, it had no correlation to my original post of the Commissioner's coronation.
My point is that the EU likes to give a veil of democracy when in reality, most decisions are determined in back room deals.

While it was on, I continued to watch the fast speaking Irish senator who claimed that the EU would only allow (his exact word) to leave if we sign up to the back stop in the WA.

Therein lies the problem.

Maitliss explained that the very thing written in to avoid a border in what will cause it, but he just continued his ramble .

She even suggested that the EU may have no option but to look again which he totally rejected.

So, the only resolution can be a No Deal or No Brexit, because the WA is well and truly dead in it's current form.

For there to be no Brexit, the government must fall and a GE will ensue. But, it would still require the PM of the day to request yet another extension from the EU.
Should the Tories win a GE, then Johnson would almost definitely not request an extension, thus No Deal or a last minute compromise.

Add in the fact that all of this must happen within a few months.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Jul 2019, 12:03

barney wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 11:17
Ok Ray, I caught up on Newsnight and watched the discussion.

As suspected, it had no correlation to my original post of the Commissioner's coronation.
My point is that the EU likes to give a veil of democracy when in reality, most decisions are determined in back room deals.

While it was on, I continued to watch the fast speaking Irish senator who claimed that the EU would only allow (his exact word) to leave if we sign up to the back stop in the WA.

Therein lies the problem.

Maitliss explained that the very thing written in to avoid a border in what will cause it, but he just continued his ramble .

She even suggested that the EU may have no option but to look again which he totally rejected.

So, the only resolution can be a No Deal or No Brexit, because the WA is well and truly dead in it's current form.

For there to be no Brexit, the government must fall and a GE will ensue. But, it would still require the PM of the day to request yet another extension from the EU.
Should the Tories win a GE, then Johnson would almost definitely not request an extension, thus No Deal or a last minute compromise.

Add in the fact that all of this must happen within a few months.

But hey Barney, those with capital and a bit of nous must be alive to the substantial benefits from a no-deal Brexit

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Jul 2019, 14:02

Hi Barney a little further reading confirms the unacceptable process the EU used to 'elect' their Commissioners. Ironically compounded by the fact that it was Labour and Lib Dems votes that got her over the line.
As it is looking more likely that we leave without a deal, which aspects of current EU laws/policies would you wish to see rescinded first? climate change, environmental, worker's rights and with what degree of urgency?

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 17 Jul 2019, 14:24

Ray Scully wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 14:02
Hi Barney a little further reading confirms the unacceptable process the EU used to 'elect' their Commissioners. Ironically compounded by the fact that it was Labour and Lib Dems votes that got her over the line.
As it is looking more likely that we leave without a deal, which aspects of current EU laws/policies would you wish to see rescinded first? climate change, environmental, worker's rights and with what degree of urgency?
Ray those items are not the only laws the EU have and the UK govt has already said they are reasonably happy to keep all 3.
But we certainly should not be considering following in the new commissioners footsteps towards a Star Wars type federal Europe with leaders foisted upon us by a Franco German cabal.
John

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Jul 2019, 15:10

Ray Scully wrote:
Why would you think that anybody wants to rescind any laws that the UK accept and voted for?
What a strange position for you to take Ray.

The UK is one of the most stringent in all those points.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 17 Jul 2019, 15:30

barney wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:06

In other words, give or take a couple of votes the yeses won by 52/48%

For the past three years I’ve been told that’s an overwhelming majority ! :lol:
Gill

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Jul 2019, 16:15

barney wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 15:10
Ray Scully wrote:
Why would you think that anybody wants to rescind any laws that the UK accepts and voted for?
What a strange position for you to take Ray.

The UK is one of the most stringent in all those points.
Not my position Barney, I know that the UK has voted for over 90% of EU laws. But I am under the impression that you guys want to take back control and release us from the shackles of the European Court of Justice. So come day 1 of a no-deal what will be the most important changes you will be hoping for?

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Jul 2019, 17:05

I think you are looking for an argument that doesn't exist Ray.
Who on earth has ever said that they want to rescind current law?

Love Gill's irony by the way :lol:

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Jul 2019, 17:28

barney wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 17:05

Not an argument at all Barney, just looking for the 'possible tangible' benefits.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 17 Jul 2019, 18:00

Ray Scully wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 17:28
barney wrote:

Not an argument at all Barney, just looking for the 'possible tangible' benefits.
The tangible benefits are not really in existing EU law, which I am sure you know has already been, or earmarked to be, written info UK law.
Check #6483 for my main benefit, but you might need to wait a few years for others if there is a WTO no deal, if there is a deal then I expect quite a healthy Brexit bounce.
John

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Jul 2019, 18:14

towny44 wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 18:00
Ray Scully wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 17:28
barney wrote:

The tangible benefits are not really in existing EU law, which I am sure you know has already been, or earmarked to be, written info UK law.
Check #6483 for my main benefit, but you might need to wait a few years for others if there is a WTO no deal, if there is a deal then I expect quite a healthy Brexit bounce.
John a sensible deal is to everyone's benefit. The social consequences of crashing out with the worst projections coming to pass are frightening

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF » 18 Jul 2019, 09:39

Why these days when someone, or something leaves does it have to be 'crashing out'? The UK will be leaving the EU not 'crashing out'. It's the same in sport - if a team loses they don't just lose, they 'crash out'. Where on earth did that piece of hyperbole come from?

Carole

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 18 Jul 2019, 10:53

Because the media do love a bit of drama.

It raises the bar.

Imagine the headline saying The UK leaves the EU and it won't be quite as good as leavers hoped and not quite as bad as remainers feared.

Hardly click bait, is it?

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Jul 2019, 12:08

The media are simple souls. It's the same as a cruise where 30 people get norovirus becomes "cruise from hell on third world plague ship"!

Or a flight we were on when a fighter jet appeared alongside (we'd briefly lost communication with the ground and they were checking on us) which appeared in the media as "passengers panic as fighter jet buzzes airliner". Most of them were actually asleep, a lot of the rest didn't notice it, and those that did were generally fascinated. We took our cue from the flight attendants who continued flogging duty free rather than texting their goodbyes to loved ones. The woman who took it to the media was apparently worried it was a Russian plane about to shoot us down (over southern France - I think she needs a geography lesson!)

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 18 Jul 2019, 12:26

barney wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 10:53

It raises the bar.

Imagine the headline saying The UK leaves the EU and it won't be quite as good as leavers hoped and not quite as bad as remainers feared.

I think the headlines would be very mixed and varied in the case of a no deal outcome. Anyway that's what today's OBR report suggests

"Public borrowing could surge by £30bn a year if there is a no-deal Brexit, the country's spending watchdog says.

"The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) said the scenario was based on assumptions that a no-deal Brexit would cause a UK recession.

It said this was "not necessarily the most likely outcome" but also "by no means the worst case scenario".

Our politicians are playing a massive game of Russian Roulette, albeit those with capital to invest could make a real killing as happened after the banking fiasco.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 18 Jul 2019, 13:00

Ray, can you please explain simply how we can make a killing on a no deal Brexit, so we can decide if its worthwhile.
John

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 18 Jul 2019, 13:38

towny44 wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 13:00
Ray, can you please explain simply how we can make a killing on a no deal Brexit, so we can decide if its worthwhile.
John! on a public forum? everyone would be piling in. But just a little tip, google who benefited from the financial crash and how. When markets dive there is money to be made :angel:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 18 Jul 2019, 15:01

Money makes money Ray.

They make money in good times and they make money in bad times.

I googled it as you suggested and it threw up a few familiar names, one of which being Donald Trump.

What I didn't expect was Mario Draghi , outgoing President of the ECB and Christine Lagarde IMF and incoming President of the ECB.

I do believe that a certain George Soros (remain banker) also did quite nicely out of it.

I must admit that I didn't do too bad myself because I took a punt on some of the banks at a very low time.

I also took advantage of the sudden slide in Carnival following the Concordia disaster, bought at a tad over £16 and sold at nearly £50, keeping the minimum for additional OBC.

I was fortunate to have a very knowledgable friend in the City at the time preceeding the crash and he called me to advise selling everything I had in shares, which I did, then bought back some near the bottom.

I now use a company called Janus Henderson, who invest in mostly UK and mostly low risk.
They haven't been in touch yet to tell me of the impending doom.
I'm awaiting a letter any day now ………………… ;)

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Jul 2019, 16:47

Ray Scully wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 12:26
barney wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 10:53

It raises the bar.

I think the headlines would be very mixed and varied in the case of a no deal outcome. Anyway that's what today's OBR report suggests

"Public borrowing could surge by £30bn a year if there is a no-deal Brexit, the country's spending watchdog says.

"The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) said the scenario was based on assumptions that a no-deal Brexit would cause a UK recession.

It said this was "not necessarily the most likely outcome" but also "by no means the worst case scenario".

Our politicians are playing a massive game of Russian Roulette, albeit those with capital to invest could make a real killing as happened after the banking fiasco.
Just tip me the wink when the OBR makes an accurate projection. They change their forecasts almost as often as I change my socks!

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen » 18 Jul 2019, 16:54

I wondered what the smell was

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 18 Jul 2019, 17:02

Stephen wrote: