Frequent login request

Please post any problems that you encounter here

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Re: Frequent login request

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I didn't want to speak too soon but after my last post on 31st December I switched browser and no problems on my phone with login requests since. (Never had the problem on my tablet or PC). It's a Samsung phone and I was using the default Samsung Internet app. I'm now using Chrome trouble free. I don't know if it was the delete cookies on exit option mentioned as I couldn't find how to change that setting anywhere. Maybe the default changed or a glitch appeared in one of the software updated. Anyway all solved with Chrome.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 05 Jan 2022, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Just logged in with edge for the first time on my Samsung phone, and it's working as fast as it does on chrome.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I'm still using Chrome, had to log in again this morning and then had to wait for ages before I could access the first topic. Switching between topics usually means a bit of a wait as well. I really don't know what I can do to improve things my end so will just try to be patient. When I contributed to a topic a few days ago I thought I was going to lose my post as it took ages to load but it did in the end.

Carole

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

CaroleF wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 12:24 I'm still using Chrome, had to log in again this morning and then had to wait for ages before I could access the first topic. Switching between topics usually means a bit of a wait as well. I really don't know what I can do to improve things my end so will just try to be patient. When I contributed to a topic a few days ago I thought I was going to lose my post as it took ages to load but it did in the end.

Carole
I sometimes find that posts do not load immediately, however I find that hitting submit again usually works.
John

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Still painfully slow to load for me as well on laptop, desktop and phone - using Chrome, but just tried using Edge; still painfully slow, so it doesn't seem to be a browser problem.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

I've had the repeated login request, now seemingly solved, but not the slow speed.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but has anyone else noticed that the speed problem seems to be affecting mainly women?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

anniec wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:07 I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but has anyone else noticed that the speed problem seems to be affecting mainly women?
:lol:

There must be a common denominator. I use MS Edge on my laptop, and I've seen another poster say they have no problems with slowness on that browser. I'm also experiencing this slowness issue on my iPad and iPhone.

I was just wondering, could it be linked to our ISP - I'm with Virgin, so I wonder if any other of the people experiencing slowness are with this provider.

Next time I go out I will test this theory, by trying to log in on my phone when I'm on 4G (it might take a day or 2, as I'm not going out so much at present)
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

I wondered that, Gill, but I'm with Plusnet.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Could the slowness be down to the individual's broadband speed, or their wi-fi strength?
John

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Gill W wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:49
I was just wondering, could it be linked to our ISP - I'm with Virgin, so I wonder if any other of the people experiencing slowness are with this provider.

Next time I go out I will test this theory, by trying to log in on my phone when I'm on 4G (it might take a day or 2, as I'm not going out so much at present)
Just tried that, Gill. Still moving at a glacial pace.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

towny44 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 15:19 Could the slowness be down to the individual's broadband speed, or their wi-fi strength?
As I think it started at about the same time for all of us (2-3 weeks ago, at a guess), none of us had had a problem before, plus no problems with other websites, that seems unlikely. Anyway, my download speed and wi-fi strength are both fine. Even Cruisecritic, one of the slower loading sites I use, is fairly speedy.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Nothing has changed on this site in the last two or three weeks that would cause slow loading of pages and if it did it would affect all users.

I would be more inclined to think that this is something local, such as a browser update, OS update.

Have you tried doing a hard refresh of your browser?

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

david63 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 15:49
Have you tried doing a hard refresh of your browser?
Just done that - still painfully slow, but thanks for the suggestion.

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

anniec wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:07 I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but has anyone else noticed that the speed problem seems to be affecting mainly women?
:lol:

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Broadband speed checker here

https://www.speedtest.net/
Last edited by Stephen on 05 Jan 2022, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 13:00 I sometimes find that posts do not load immediately, however I find that hitting submit again usually works.
Which can result in the Mods having to delete duplicate posts .... just saying

Additional content moved to my following post
Last edited by Manoverboard on 06 Jan 2022, 09:37, edited 2 times in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 09:23
towny44 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 13:00 I sometimes find that posts do not load immediately, however I find that hitting submit again usually works.
Strange but it has never resulted in a duplicate for me. Occasionally I get the message about a previous post that proves to be mine but I then do not go ahead with my duplicate.
John

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 09:27
Manoverboard wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 09:23
Strange but it has never resulted in a duplicate for me. Occasionally I get the message about a previous post that proves to be mine but I then do not go ahead with my duplicate.
The message about your previous post is one of timing and demonstrates that your post had been done correctly yet the follow up display of same has a time lapse problem - ish.

+++ from above

It may be due to the Festive period, one's Internet provider may have servers that have become clogged up due to a lack of routine maintenance, if so it will start to clear next week.

ps ... I am using BT / Fibre Optic connection so slow should not be on the menu.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 06 Jan 2022, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.

MaureenB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Moby, I too am on BT/ Fibre Optic connection and enjoy speedy connections on every other site I go on. This still remains a mystery.

Regards

Maureen

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

MaureenB wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:05 Moby, I too am on BT/ Fibre Optic connection and enjoy speedy connections on every other site I go on. This still remains a mystery.

Regards

Maureen
It does indeed but my money is on a mystery solution next week :lol: :wave:

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

I blame leaves on the line.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:10 I blame leaves on the line.
I thought you blamed Boris for everything :crazy: :crazy:
Manoverboard wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 09:33 It may be due to the Festive period
One problem over the festive period, and to some extent at weekends, is that the idiots who like to try and attack sites and cause mayhem become more proactive as there are less around to monitor the servers and take remidial action.

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:41 I thought you blamed Boris for everything :crazy: :crazy:
Only Monday to Sunday
Last edited by Manoverboard on 06 Jan 2022, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

See this issue is still ongoing.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I have just had to login again, first ti.e for a long time, let's see if it continues.
John

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

OCEANIAFAN wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 10:52 I am having the same problem, the site takes ages to load and when you want to see a post that again takes a long time to load.

I am using Chrome.
Hi Oceania…I’m using Chrome and haven’t encountered any problems…that being said I do pay for the premium service ;) :)

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

I've had no issue since switching to bog standard Chrome on my phone. Curiously I've never had any on my tablet using the default Samsung browser on my tablet, the browser I've switched away from on the phone.. I firmly now suspect something I've yet to find in the browser settings.

MaureenB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by MaureenB »

OCEANIAFAN wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 17:00 See this issue is still ongoing.
Indeed it is for me. It still takes an age to load the page and also to change topics. I am fresh out of ideas. It's only wishing to read Sue's Iona cruise reviews that keep me trying.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

MaureenB wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 09:46
OCEANIAFAN wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 17:00 See this issue is still ongoing.
Indeed it is for me.
As this is not a problem for everyone then it becomes very difficult to track it down. Because it is localised then I suspect that there is some common denominator with the devices and/or connection being used, but not knowing that it is impossible to suggest a solution.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Are we talking about new machines here? Are peoples using registry cleaning software to clear cookies etc?

I had an iPad which was desperately slow and did not even show the option to accept cookies from this site. Thankfully that has now gone but I now have a new machine and everything runs beautifully. As for Apple iPads never again!
We're out! :clap:
Get over it!!

Return to “Forum Problems/Discussion”